sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hi all. I just flashed a Samsung MS-28 drive with xtreme 5.2C. Everything seemed to go as expected. After getting the ms-28 drive to dump to orig.bin, I checked the file for proper size and also checked it with firmware toolbox 3.0 for the proper key. Everything seemed to match up. I created the hacked firmware by running Make_Xtreme_firmware script. Checked it with firmware toolbox 3.0 and the keys matched. I chose to have the firmware spoof ms-28 and have the dual read speed choosing C. I had my x52c.bin that looked good. I then flashed the drive with the hacked firmware. That also seemed to go well. I used the 10 second trick both to get the orig.bin and flash the hacked firmware. Once it finished flashing, I checked the 360 for proper operation. It booted my originals just fine. So then I tried a backup. I got the message that says, "To play this game, insert it into an xbox 360 console." So I was stumped. I have two other xbox 360's, one with an ms-25 and the other has a hitachi 46 and both of those consoles will play my backups. I went back over everything again. Reflashed with a fresh x52d.bin this time and got the same message. So I am still stumped. I know it's not a key issue and the drive does play originals. There "shouldn't" be anything wrong with the backups, all that I have have the proper SS, DMI and PFI in them. They were also booktyped to dvd-rom.

If anyone has a clue to how to solve this, I would be very much appreciate it.

#2 walkman4448

walkman4448

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

Hey. If you know how, put the original firmware back on the 360 and try This!! I did this procedure and it worked like a gem. You don't need to use firmware toolbox or any of that. Give it a whirl.

#3 sadalius

sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

Sorry, I must have posted this in the wrong section sad.gif

I know how to restore the original, but how would this be any different than what I did the first time? I had no problems using the 10 second trick to read the original. I also believe my original to be a good dump by checking with firmware toolbox. I also compared the original to the hacked firmware that I created and it appeared to be correct. I didn't have any problems flashing the drive with the 10 second trick. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand. I will certainly try this when I get home later tonight though. If there are any other thoughts just in case this doesn't work, I'll gladly add them to my list of things to try.

Edited by sadalius, 20 February 2007 - 12:05 AM.

#4 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

Just to confirm before you start restoring and reflashing (be careful, good way to brick a drive).
Is this backup working fine on your other console and all backups not working on that specific console?

If all are not working then it seems like the key is not right? without reflashing you can dump the firmware on the console actually

QUOTE( http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=587238 @ )
get to dos prompt

type mtkflash r /m orig.bin
port selection will come up
remove power from drive
select port
count to 10
restore power
drive should have firmware read off of it

and check the key against the original.
You must also make sure it is not simply the backup wink.gif

rgds,soso

#5 Calley

Calley

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

Just to confirm before you start restoring and reflashing (be careful, good way to brick a drive).

Since I just did this (the Brick part) ....can you tell why this is? Why is this process so dangerous as opposed to the flashing processes.

#6 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

His key is the same and his originals are working. (Already checked those areas on another site) wink.gif

Caster.

#7 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

@calley
Sorry about your drive man,
it is not more dangerous, it is just as dangerous. But I see people that have a problem with a backup that will beat their drive to death by reflashing until one of those turn bad.

-Basically dump the FW
-Be sure the key inserted in hacked.bin is good before flashing
-Flash

and then you should make sure your backup are really good before questioning your flash.
(if you want to be sure , redump the firmware currently on the drive and Hex compare to the hacked.bin to be sure.)
Best way to validate a backup is to have access to another x360 that you know is already playing backup properly, and try it. Try two to be sure, and if both are fucntional but not on your x360 you can start thinking about equipment again.
anyhow, just my personal view on that, sometimes too much flashing not enough diagnostic. wink.gif

rgds,soso

-----------------------------------
EDIT: HI caster, thks man for the info. smile.gif, found the post

@sadalius
if you originals are working, forget the flashing.
post in the backup forum, will be happy to help.

rgds,soso

Edited by sosotiit, 20 February 2007 - 01:19 AM.

#8 sadalius

sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

ok, here are my observations

1. I'm pretty sure that the key is good. It will play originals. If it was the key would it not reject originals? I did check the key of the original, and once the hacked firmware was made, checked that firmware and compared the keys and they were the same.

2. I'm pretty sure that my backups are good because I have two other 360's, one with a sammy ms-25 and the other with a hitachi 46. My backups work on both of these other consoles.

3. None of the backups that work in the other 360's work on this specific console. Gives me the insert in a 360 console message.

4. I have flashed other ms-28's using this same method and they worked, I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it should show that I have done this before successfully.

Thats what I've observed so far and I am open to suggestions, I'm thinking of trying to restore the drive with the original, then flash it with 4.2 and see what it does.

#9 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:39 AM

Does it play a backup movie, on same type of media (which media???) and done with same burner??

Because, if the bup are good, the flash is good... it could be your laser is marginal and not able to compensate a poor media as the others are.

rgds,soso

Edited by sosotiit, 20 February 2007 - 01:47 AM.

#10 sadalius

sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:53 AM

Now thats a thought I did not consider, although I should have. All my backups are on verbatims save one that I did not try, so I don't know if I could say it was the media, but it is a thought and I will try that other one and a backup movie as well, although none of my movie backups are on verbatims, but was done on the same burner (pioneer 111d, crossflashed with buffalo firmware)

If the laser turns out to be the culprit, would it serve any good to do a pot tweak on it?

#11 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:57 AM

if ti does not play the movie as well , it is not a game backup issue (SS), but probably you drive.

I would be tempted to say pot tweak. Not sure to be honest but seems the logical one, someone will surely jump in with other ideas as well.

rgds,soso

#12 sadalius

sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

Well, you have given me something to look at when I get home sosotiit, and for that I say Thank you my friend. Once I check to see if it will play backup movies or not, I'll check back and post my progress and check for other suggestions.

Thanks again!

Sadalius

Edited by sadalius, 20 February 2007 - 02:05 AM.

#13 shadow12

shadow12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:09 AM

sadalius I got same problem ,I flashed 2 ms28 drives with 5.2A none of them would boot backup but boot all original and then I did alittle search here,I found a trick to it . a rubber band tricks will work. if you do asearch here it will show you a picture how to do it .if you know how to do pot tweak go for it .dont wast time reflash your drive it s not that.

Edited by shadow12, 20 February 2007 - 05:16 AM.

#14 gymguy

gymguy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:05 AM

Had this same problem in an unmodded box white screen says to play this disc put it in an xbox 360 consolesorry buddy it only gets worse your laser is going.

#15 sadalius

sadalius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:48 AM

First I would like to say thanks to everyone that offered their ideas and assistance. Next, I'm happy to say that the problem is no more. I reflashed the drive with 4.2a, tested it and it worked. Deleted all the other hacked.bins that I had created and made a new 5.2c reporting as ms-28 and reflashed. Problem solved. So it must have been something to do with the 5.2c that I originally created or something.

Thanks again guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users