timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:34 AM

This is a mod which adds a link to Microsoft's Media Center Extender for Xbox, replicating the functionality and look of the actual Xbox 360.

Obviously, this mod is only for people who have Media Center Extender for Xbox installed on their xbox. This is not XBMC, it is a product released by Microsoft a few years ago that lets xbox users sync up with Windows XP Media Center Edition computers. If you do not have this program, this mod won't do you a lot of good. If you would like to purchase this program, I suggest looking on ebay. They're pretty common on there, but have been discontinued by microsoft. You will also need to have the Media Center Edition of Windows XP installed on a computer hooked up to the network.

Anyway, on to the screenshots!

For all my mods, I am utilizing a new window I created called Skin Mods Settings. You can access it here, in the Personal Settings menu. If you are also using my Remote Computer Startup/Shutdown mod, you should use the custom1999_GuideSkinModOptions.xml file included in this pack, not the other one, but make sure you open it up and change the 2nd radiobutton and the divider below it from saying <visible>no</visible> and replace it with yes. You will then see both options.
IPB Image

As you can see, the Media Center Extender button has been added to the media blade. However, you may also notice there is now an arrow to the right of it. This is there for those of you who use the oldschool remotes, and so need the MC360 guide still. Press to the right while Media Center is highlighted and it will be replaced by the MC360 Guide...press to the right again, and it will be replaced again by Media Center. Pressing left, however, still moves to the blade on the left, and to access the blade on the right, just move the cursor up or down so that Media Center/MC360 Guide isn't highlighted. By the way, for those of you who have Media Center Extender remotes, I recommend changing the keymap and having the menu button mapped to PlayerControls instead of opening the shutdown menu, which is what it normally does, and since you can already press the power button at the top of the remote to access the shutdown menu, you don't lose any functionality by changing. Works perfectly smile.gif
IPB Image

Here's what it looks like when you press right.....
IPB Image

As you can see in this picture, if you turn off either AppleMovieTrailers or the MC360 guide, the arrows disappear. If you turned off the MC360 guide, apple movie trailers retains its spot between Media Center and Videos, but you can no longer access the Guide button by pressing right on Media Center. If you disable Apple Movie Trailers, the MC360 Guide moves up to where the Movie Trailers button was, and apple movie trailers and the arrows disappear. Basically, its setup to work flawlessly with absolutely every conifguration you might have. Also, if anybody cares, it's network aware, so it disappears when the xbox isn't hooked up, since after all, Media Center Extender is useless without a network and a computer.
IPB Image

CONFIGURATION:

You must configure one thing before you FTP into your xbox. Open up "custom1997_MediaCenterExtenderDialog.xml" in a text editor, like Notepad, and look for the "Yes Button." If you have trouble finding it, hit control + F and search for it that way. a few lines under where it says "Yes Button," there will be something that says <onclick>XBMC.RunXBE(E:\Apps\Media Center Extender for Xbox\default.xbe)</onclick>

If this IS where you have the program installed, you don't need to change anything. You can go ahead and copy everything over to the xbox. If it is NOT where your program is located, change it to match, save, and FTP over.

INSTALLATION:

To install, simply FTP to your xbox and copy this MC360 folder over the original. Restart, and you should be good to go.

ENABLING MOD:

To enable this, you must go to the MC360 Guide (start button) -> Persoal Settings -> Skin Mods Settings and enable the MCE button. Now, on the media blade, you should see a button for Media Center Extender.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to PM me on http://www.xbox-scene.com/ to user name "timdog82001" or post on the original thread in the Blackbolt Skin Mods forum.

Media Center Extender Icon is courtesy of rocky5.

DOWNLOAD!
If any of you notice this link becomes broken, just let me know and i'll happily upload it again.

Edited by Jezz_X, 21 February 2007 - 07:13 AM.

#2 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

I realized my translate.xml wasn't completely up to date with the most recent SVN, so it causes a strange typo in the scripts options menu, and also, I COMPLETELY forgot to upload one of the files, which you need in order to enable this mod. SORRY GUYS! You can download an update here. In the future, if you'd rather just edit the Translate.xml yourself when you update to new versions of MC360, open up the virgin, unaltered Translate.xml found in the PAL folder when you first download a new MC360 using a simple text editor, like Notepad. At the very bottom, right above the very last "</include>" add the following code. Make sure it's indented like the stuff above it, and also, on the one saying "Connect or set up Media Center..." make sure you take out the spaced I added between the # and the 10's. It was changing the code when I posted them together.

CODE
    <include name="25001">
        <label>Enable MCE Button</label>
    </include>
    <include name="25002">
        <label>Media Center</label>
    </include>
        <include name="25003">
        <label>Connect or set up Media Center Extender.&# 10;&# 10;* Live and recorded TV&# 10;* On-demand movies&# 10;* Music and photos</label>
    </include>
    <include name="25012">
        <label>This will leave XBMC and launch Media Center Extender.  Any currently playing media will be stopped.  Are you sure you wish to continue?</label>
    </include>

Since most of the files that are modified in this (which is only two, not including Translate.xml...the rest are new xml's i created) are files that aren't likely to be updated too frequently, you hopefully won't have to update this mod a lot. Just add that code to the bottom of the translate.xml each time you update (might not have to do it everytime, but the Translate.xml is probably the most likely file to receive some changes between each update).

Anyway, here's the new link...I probably won't release any updates from now on until something other than the Translate.xml changes.

http://rapidshare.co...er_Mod.rar.html

Also, I'd love to hear your guys' opinions/thoughts

Edited by timdog82001, 20 February 2007 - 10:45 AM.

#3 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Just ocurred to me I didn't add widescreen support for this...I'll probably add it within a few days, whenever I find time.

And by the way guys, stop downloading the first download link! It won't work. If a mod would like to change the first link to be the same as the second one, that would be nice smile.gif

#4 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(timdog82001 @ Feb 21 2007, 04:41 PM) View Post

......... If a mod would like to change the first link to be the same as the second one, that would be nice smile.gif

done

#5 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:45 AM

thanks

#6 timdog82001

timdog82001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:28 AM

I have released an updated version of this as part of my monster mod. You no longer have to do any xml editing, everything is done in the skin settings, and it now supports widescreen. Check it out here:

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3934053

Make sure you download the latest version. I had a couple of bugs i noticed immediately after I posted the initial download

Edited by timdog82001, 21 March 2007 - 04:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users