X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

There is a new version of the Hitachi Drive (GDR-3120L) which started to appear in X360, this unit of Version 79FK has a January 2007 production date. It seems, for now at least, the Hitachi drive will remain part of the x360 production even with the coming of the new BenQ.

IPB Image
IPB Image

All thanks to dreadyjun for the pictures and providing us the information quickly (post).

Initial attempt to dump the firmware with slax and FW toolbox 3.0 were not successful, but it would be too early to conclude at this point if there are new protection measures.

rgds,soso

-----Info Required----------------
The guys with the 79fk hitachi can you please tell us what is the manufacturer date of your console (on the sticker at the back of ur console casing) . It would help that you also register that info in the Drive List.
That way those with the drive can add their information and people who don't know what drive they have can compare their information with that on the site.
------------------------------------
Update August 2007
It can now be flashed using FW Toolbox 4.0 and a hardware add-on allowing the flash to be done:

- first one made by the author of FWtoolbox and called passkey: http://www.maximusga...passkeyinfo.php

Other option is
Infectus - Flash079. It has 12 wires , but could be easier to get???
---------------------------------------

Edited by sosotiit, 05 August 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#2 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

Plse read the rules ,
and post on topic.

This is the subject here: Hitachi GDR-3120L Ver.: 79FK.

This is a technical forum, so post questions/proposal on the features, how to dump FW,,, even what you would like to see in the hacked FW, but stick to the technical discussion.

IN support to your input you can say you prefer other drives as long as it is not disrespectful and inviting a flamewar. Many posts were deleted, and from now on anything that does not respect the intented purpose of the thread will be.

As this seems to happen more, we may also start to hard moderate with sanctions authors of useless repetitive post and/or off topic post.
rgds,soso

Edited by sosotiit, 23 February 2007 - 02:06 PM.

#3 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this isnt another "here we go again" with not being able to dump the original f/w. All that work was put into f/w toolbox3.0 happy.gif

#4 mksoftware

mksoftware

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(jabroniekilla @ Feb 22 2007, 03:41 PM) View Post

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this isnt another "here we go again" with not being able to dump the original f/w. All that work was put into f/w toolbox3.0 happy.gif

It most likely is

Edited by mksoftware, 22 February 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#5 NewAgePSX

NewAgePSX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

I would assume you still can remove the chip and do a dump via a programmer?

#6 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Expert

• Admin
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(NewAgePSX @ Feb 22 2007, 05:06 PM) View Post

I would assume you still can remove the chip and do a dump via a programmer?

Should be able to.

But, no pictures of the inside of the drive as of today, and most likely has all that black glue on the PCB.

#7 SpankIt

SpankIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the quick information. If you have this drive. Register your xbox at http://www.360drives.com/ that way we can keep track of when they were manufactured.

#8 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

Oh shit, here we go again.

I wonder if these are close relatives of the handful of 0078FKs that don't work with VIA chipsets (different SATA chip inside the drive, perhaps?). Might still be dumpable with the right gear. Sosotiit, what SATA controller was used?

Edited by Exobex, 23 February 2007 - 01:57 AM.

#9 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

Not Known, Dreadyjun is the only one with that beast at the moment. I exchanged a few PM with him, suggested he tries at least to put It in ModeB and try a Dump. Will see if we get more info.

--------------------

As far as the thread goes, everyone plse keep it on the technical issues, otherwise we will simply remove the post.

rgds, soso

Edited by sosotiit, 23 February 2007 - 02:12 AM.

#10 Masta-G

Masta-G

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(Exobex @ Feb 23 2007, 02:03 AM) View Post

Oh shit, here we go again.

I wonder if these are close relatives of the handful of 0078FKs that don't work with VIA chipsets (different SATA chip inside the drive, perhaps?). Might still be dumpable with the right gear. Sosotiit, what SATA controller was used?

I think you're wrong mate.
Since I did a 0078 drive a few days ago with my VIA addon card.
All I had to do was insert some original video dvd disc, and unlock it with the new SLAX disc.
Didn't have to unplug any of my SATA HD's (connected to my onboard SATA controller) either.
When I rebooted my PC, It took windows 5minutes to boot, but the toolbox managed to dump and write the new firmware without problems.
Let's hope the new 079FK will work too, without having soldering skills of course:P

#11 Jadgamez

Jadgamez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

I understand the fact that the XBOX now checks the drive itís matched to but putting that aside would it be possible to flash the 78FK firmware onto the 79FK drive providing you can get the key? Iím talking about removing the glue and chip and using an external programmer NOT slax.

#12 bourke

bourke

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Feb 23 2007, 08:39 PM) View Post

Let's hope the new 079FK will work too, without having soldering skills of course:P

The soldering is the very least of your worries if you manage to melt and remove that black gunk from around the area first!

Also, considering it was manufactured in January - the 79 was obviously designed well before the end of last year - very unlikely they had time to foil the Toolbox 3.0 methods :-)

Remember the Toshiba ms25 was hacked in February / March 2006 - it took until the June manufactured drives before the ms28 firmware appeared... hence it would appear that the usual turnaround time on hardware/firmware changes is three to four months.

Edited by bourke, 23 February 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#13 d-range

d-range

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

I take it the drive is physically the same as the earlier Hitachi drives? ie, you cannot tell from the outside of a 360 that it has this new drive?

It will be interesting to see if/hoe easy/how fast this drive can be hacked, and if a drive swap with an older HLG drive will be possible.

I'm getting the more and more the impression MS will only try to stop fw hacking using hardware measures, and they will not block boxes remotely through updates. With the different Samsung, HLG and now BenQ drives there are so many drive/fw/box combinations that I think it would be very risky to block by drive fw alone.

#14 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(d-range @ Feb 23 2007, 03:09 PM) View Post

I'm getting the more and more the impression MS will only try to stop fw hacking using hardware measures, and they will not block boxes remotely through updates. With the different Samsung, HLG and now BenQ drives there are so many drive/fw/box combinations that I think it would be very risky to block by drive fw alone.

I completley agree with this. I think it is a fairly safe bet that M$ can only stop the hacks through attempts with new hardware. Why else would they be going through all these different models of drive and fw (other then potential costs and performance issues)?

#15 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

Ok, Dreadyjun made some more tries, it seems the drive goes in modeB and is seen by windowns.
Unfortunately, Fw toolbox is not able to dump the FW as per the picture below:

IPB Image

rgds,soso

Edited by sosotiit, 24 February 2007 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users