15 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan561

Nathan561

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 03:44 PM

Quake 2 has been very successfully ported including multiplayer with a PC, so how come no-one has even thought about porting Half-Life?
Is it because it is such a huge game? Or am i wrong in assuming it's open source due to all the mods..?

#2 AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:04 PM

The source code not being available is one of the larger reasons.

#3 Beelzebud

Beelzebud

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:21 PM

There is a difference between having an SDK (like Half Life) and having full engine source code. All an SDK allows is to make gameplay mods for the game. In order to port a PC game to the Xbox you need the full engine source code. Something Valve probably won't be making public anytime soon.

#4 Nathan561

Nathan561

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:49 PM

Ahh ok.. so why did ID release the Quake 2 source code.. what was the point?

#5 amosso

amosso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Nathan561 @ May 26 2003, 05:44 PM)
Quake 2 has been very successfully ported including multiplayer with a PC, so how come no-one has even thought about porting Half-Life?
Is it because it is such a huge game?  Or am i wrong in assuming it's open source due to all the mods..?

Half life isn't open source, so no way to port it to xbox... but... there may be another solution :
As I said in an earlier post about counter strike, it is possible to run hl with linux using wine or winex (windows emulator). For more information, see this tutorial.
I tried this using an old ed's debian but wasn't able to make it run... as I'm not a linux guru it wasn't a big surprise ! dry.gif But if anyone had better results, please let me know how you did this !

#6 Beelzebud

Beelzebud

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 07:01 PM

Why did id release the Source Code? Because they are one of the coolest game developers out there is why.

What is the point? It gives people wanting to learn about game programming a vast resource to look at to see how a 3d engine is made. People can also add things to the engine like shaders, more advanced lighting, and other neato effects.

#7 AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:42 PM

ID always releases the source code for their 2 generation old games, but the license that they sold to valve didn't require valve to release the source to them or anybody else, and they simply elected not to do it.

#8 CyRUS64

CyRUS64

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:59 PM

You can get professional ports of Half-life for dreamcast and playstation 2 of course. Just wait for Half-life 2 which I guess will be released on x-box too smile.gif

#9 HeLiuM

HeLiuM

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:31 PM

i thought the only port of halflife to dreamcast was really to windows CE and never released

#10 CyRUS64

CyRUS64

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 11:37 AM

i thought the only port of halflife to dreamcast was really to windows CE and never released

Sadly it was WinCE, but it has recently been leaked onto the net. Its fairly fun but only ~25fps and has semi-frequent loading.. actually they aren't too frequent once you start the game but they annoyingly kept the looong train ride and you get put off due to needing lots of loading during that wink.gif
It does of course include blue shift too.

#11 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:28 PM

it is possible to run hl with linux using wine or winex (windows emulator). For more information, see this tutorial

you realy are a dumbass

the other day you were asking if cubeix the game cube emulater for the dc's vmu worked now your calling wine and emulater

W I N E = WINE IS NOT AN EMULATER

heh look what wine stands for

Edited by jse, 27 May 2003 - 11:28 PM.

#12 Lowen Na

Lowen Na

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (jse @ May 27 2003, 07:28 PM)

you realy are a dumbass

the other day you were asking if cubeix the bame cube emulater for the dc's vmu worked now your calling wine and emulater

Big words for someone who has atleast 4 typos in his post.

#13 xMonoxide187x

xMonoxide187x

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:57 PM

Half Life/Counter-Strike may work in future versions of GentooX if they ever get the 3D Acceleration working...

I don't see the big deal about having these games ported anyways, playing it on your TV is NOT that big of a deal, and the games actually look worse due to a lower resolution, and if you don't have a computer thats capable of playing Half-Life, then its definetly time to upgrade.

#14 amosso

amosso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (jse @ May 27 2003, 07:28 PM)
it is possible to run hl with linux using wine or winex (windows emulator). For more information, see this tutorial

you realy are a dumbass

the other day you were asking if cubeix the bame cube emulater for the dc's vmu worked now your calling wine and emulater

1/ Read the post again :
r u sure this is real !!!???
just kiddin', love the Minitel & VMU port !!! 

*just joking*
2/ Ohhh... excuse me wine is not a windows emulator for unix systems... It is a w32 executable loader + implementation of the windows APIs for unix. But I was too lazy to write the whole stuff & my english sucks & wine = emulator or not was not the point of my post.
3/ ... and please don't be so arrogant : I was totally wrong for "windows emulator", Ok... but u don't need to call me dumbass... thanx !

#15 amosso

amosso

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (xMonoxide187x @ May 27 2003, 09:57 PM)
Half Life/Counter-Strike may work in future versions of GentooX if they ever get the 3D Acceleration working...

I don't see the big deal about having these games ported anyways, playing it on your TV is NOT that big of a deal, and the games actually look worse due to a lower resolution, and if you don't have a computer thats capable of playing Half-Life, then its definetly time to upgrade.

I agree with you, I don't see the point of playing hl on TV if you have a computer... but, many of my friends that owns an xbox don't have a comp...
So, it would be a simple way for them to play CS, that's all smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users