Photo

Don't Think I'm Banned, But Live Not Working...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 B20Sandman

B20Sandman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:20 PM

I accidentally signed on to Xbox Live while my modchip was on. It said and update was available and I hit YES to update. It went to the update screen and just as the bar started to fill, I remembered my chip was on and I quickly turned the unit off. Now, when I attempt to turn the Xbox on without the chip turned on, the power LED flashes red and green and the "Contact Xbox Support" screen comes up. I've also tried entering the MS Dashboard via the Evox dashboard, then attempting to connect to Live that way. Once I get to the dashboard, I flip the modchip off. Xbox Live then attempts to update and the error message reads: "Unable to continue due to technical difficulties. Please try again later." Like I said in the title, I don't think I'm banned, but how do I fix this? Can I delete my Live account and put it back on? Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

#2 B20Sandman

B20Sandman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:34 PM

Some add'l info:

I am running Evox v2 with an installed Maxtor 120GB HD.

When the "Xbox requires service" message comes up with the flashing red/green LED, there is no 21 in the corner. Like I mentioned before, I can access the dashboard via Evox.

Is there a problem with the MS dashboard .XBE file? Mine is named _xboxdash.xbe.

Is there maybe a problem with the BIOS on my chip?

Once again any answers would be appreciated. Sorry if these questions have already been answered - another noob in the house here.

#3 MeNaCe911

MeNaCe911

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 May 2003 - 08:56 PM

i think its the fact that u turned off ur xbox like that...try reflashing ur bios or using older ones and doin that and see how far u get...also if that doesnt work just use ur back up of ur dashboard and start over...that never hurts

#4 krobby

krobby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 11:08 PM

yeah.. error 16 means that it can't access a required component of the dashboard (or something like that) .. When you were downloading your update it was probably adding some new dashboard/xbl stuff to your hard drive. Because you turned it off in the middle of this it never got to finish the process, you may be getting the code 16 because it cannot find the components that you didn't finish downloading because you turned it off.

Those are my thoughts on it at least.

#5 B20Sandman

B20Sandman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 12:33 AM

Menace: I'm going to try to flash the BIOS and see if that works - hopefully it does.

krobby: The "Xbox requires service" screen actually has no codes at all in the upper left hand corner - is that indicative of Error 16? Do you have any other suggestions that weren't mentioned?

Thanks for you help guys - I definitely appreciate it.

#6 Skunky

Skunky

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 May 2003 - 12:36 AM

ph34r.gif Just restore a backup copy of the xbox dash.. and possibly the c: drive ph34r.gif

#7 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (Skunky @ May 26 2003, 09:36 PM)
ph34r.gif Just restore a backup copy of the xbox dash.. and possibly the c: drive ph34r.gif

That's your best bet. Find a clean C drive at the usual places and redo the Live install. HOWEVER, since you connected to Live with the modchip off, you are probably banned. Time to get a new EEPROM

#8 MeNaCe911

MeNaCe911

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:22 AM

heyy i said that already lol...freakin ppl takin my tips lol...

#9 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (MeNaCe911 @ May 26 2003, 11:22 PM)
heyy i said that already lol...freakin ppl takin my tips lol...

blink.gif

Your tips?

#10 nachonut

nachonut

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:I install all mods for XBOX. You need it done, I can do it. PM me or email me nachonut@nyc.rr.com

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:51 AM

ok... how about this one guys....

If you had your xbox working fine on live, and now you can't get on it, but you CAN load up the MSdash and all stuff ready for live. this should be your solution blink.gif

Boot up the xbox with the chip off.. blah blah blah.. get it ready to go on live with no game in.
Select the xbox live tab on the main dashboard. Go to settings, and change the IP settings to AUTOMATIC, sometimes it goes to manual and can't connect.
That should fix it. I've done it plenty of times by now. cool.gif oh yeah

EDIT: Nevermind.... you connected after you booted up with the mod chip on. Just turning it off after you boot usually doesn't mean that your chip is always off, you still initially booted with the x2 or whatever bios.. so chances are you are banned.. but you can try this either way after you fix your dashboard names.. xbox should be xboxdash.xbe and evox should be evoxdash.xbe

Edited by nachonut, 27 May 2003 - 03:53 AM.

#11 B20Sandman

B20Sandman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:08 AM

nachonut or shanafan, let me get this straight. Is the "Xbox requires service. Please call Xbox customer support." message indicative of a banned eeprom? There are no digits in the upper left hand corner of the message at all. I called Xbox customer support for the heck of it, and there was no mention of being banned at all (not like they would flat out say it or anything.) The support tech just said that it "needs to be serviced."

Also, like I mentioned before, my MS dashboard file is named "_xboxdash.xbe" If I FTP in and change the file name to "xboxdash.xbe" will that fix my problem? My roommate's Xbox also has the same file name for his dashboard and his box works fine.

Any other ideas?

#12 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:28 AM

The easiest way to fix your trashed MS dash is;

Disconnect your ethernet cable.
Turn on your mod chip and boot up to Evox.
Put in any game that has XBLive support, in the drive.
Drop out to boXplorer (etc.) and launch the update.xbe file from the game disk.

This will re-install the XBLive dashboard, correctly.

#13 B20Sandman

B20Sandman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:42 PM

opjose, I sent you a PM in reply to your post. I followed the instructions but it didn't work - details are in the PM. Hope you can help me out!

#14 XbXlvr

XbXlvr

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 04:00 AM

Does anyone here know Rusty Dog? He is probably the one who can help you. Do a search and pm him, B20Sandman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users