Photo

Is Microsoft Killing The Pc Gaming Market?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

I read this on overclockers and I thought it was very interesting. It got me thinking.

http://www.overclock...m/articles1406/

#2 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:01 AM

I think they are. I think they have wanted to for a long time. They are slowly executing their plan to take over the world. At this rate, they will do it too.

A game console is a personal computer. You dont have to update as often, and you don't need to download drivers as often. M$ realized early, console gaming was a lot easier than PC gaming, as far as staying up to date and ease of use. Nothing beats PC gaming as a platform.

As a PC gamer, it is getting too expensive to keep up. A DX10 card costs as much as a 360.

As a parent, I would rather buy a couple game consoles that are gonna play every game for 5 years without worrying about drivers and minimum specs. A couple $500 PCs cannot do that.

Edited by throwingks, 26 February 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#3 jon_jon

jon_jon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

There are probably differences in the demographics of the console gamer vs. the PC gamer. I would imagine that the PC gamer is a little older than the console gamer just because of the cost involved in upgrading the system every couple of years. Then there are people who are both PC and console gamers.

#4 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE(throwingks @ Feb, 04:08 AM) View Post

I think they are. I think they have wanted to for a long time. They are slowly executing their plan to take over the world. At this rate, they will do it too.

A game console is a personal computer. You dont have to update as often, and you don't need to download drivers as often. M$ realized early, console gaming was a lot easier than PC gaming, as far as staying up to date and ease of use. Nothing beats PC gaming as a platform.

As a PC gamer, it is getting too expensive to keep up. A DX10 card costs as much as a 360.

As a parent, I would rather buy a couple game consoles that are gonna play every game for 5 years without worrying about drivers and minimum specs. A couple $500 PCs cannot do that.

I completely agree, although personally I would have to add that not using a mouse and keyboard is a plus (love controllers) not to mention theres less cheaters online simply because files aren't as easily moddable.

#5 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

Seriously i think 360's are here to stay. Look at the xbox, people are still modifying them buying them etc.... PC's have to be replaced like evrey two years as mentioned above. The xbox has been doing it's job for over 6 years and counting. Find me a PC that will play games for 6 years without coming outdated.

#6 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

^ You could do it, it would just cost a lot up front.

Right now buy a DX10 vid card, 4GB or RAM, and a 64-Bit Dual Core CPU, on Vista Ultimate. You will play games that come out in 6 years.

My PC right now is 4-5 years old. nVidia 4200 vid card and 512MB of RAM, and an Athlon 2000+ CPU. I can still play a lot of games. And, that was only a semi-decent system when I built it.

PC games are "dumbed down" for older systems. Running optimized and just running are 2 different things.

#7 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

How can that site even get an accurate sales figure for the PC? There are thousands of publishers and retailers all over the US.

I think PC gaming is far from dying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users