• 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

This thread is now closed and moved to

Tutorial On Making Backup With Xbc / Imgburn
--------------------------------------------------

This tutorial will help you do your X360 and Xbox1 backup using Xbox Backup Creator v2.8 (XBCr). This new version of XBCr will also burn you X360 Backup using the XBCr burning engine or with imgburn v2.4 by calling Imgburn for you with all the adequate parameters. (note that this Tutorial was prepared with v2.4 and Imgburn 2.2 but the same applies to v2.8 and Imgburn 2.4)

If you require to install these applications see the second post of this thread.

RIPPING
1-Open XBCr* ,
IPB Image
2-Select your ripping drive like SH-D162C (other model in the pinned topic) or Samsung/Benq drive**(FW xtreme800). Note that Hitachi do not allow to extract SS and therefore games
3-Place your game in the drive, (It will see the small video partition of a few MB)
4-Press Start , select the directory and enter a name
5-When completed, you will get a 7 651 848KB ISO ( or 7.29GB) or 7,651,262KB depending on the x360 games. If you use a version prior to 2.5 or do not activate the Splitvid then the files will be 7,395,392KB or 7.05GB. The .iso for Xbox1 will be 7,258,816KB (or 6.92GB) without splitvid.
6-You can verify the stealth/iXtreme compliance as per Media Stealth: What is needed and How To Verify, (DMI, PFI, Video Partition, Samsung SS) . It is not absolutely required since all is extracted with the adequate method and tools, but you can still make sure all is fine.

IPB Image

ALL DONE, TIME TO BURN.

*The real application looks much better without the watermark smile.gif, but to the guys who took pictures here last time and did not mention the source, SHAME on them.

BURNING METHOD A: WITH XBCr **

1-Open XBCr* , select XBC as burning engine
IPB Image
2-Select your burning drive ,
3-Place a blank DVD+R DL the drive, and select writing speed (if the start button remains grey, you have not selected the proper drive or do not have a DVD +R DL in the drive)
4-Press Start , select the .ISO file you have just created (or the .DVD which will not make a difference here)
5-When completed, enjoy smile.gif

**Not all burners are supported (but close wink.gif)

BURNING METHOD B: WITH IMGBURN

1-Open XBCr* , select IMGBURN as burning engine
IPB Image
2-Select your burning drive ,
3-Place a blank DVD+R DL the drive, and select writing speed (if the start button remains grey, you have not selected the proper drive or do not have a DVD +R DL in the drive)
4-Press Start , select the .ISO file you have just created (or the .DVD which will not make a difference here)
5-Imgburn will start and tell “You should have selected the dvd file…”, click OK
6-When completed, imgburn will close, enjoy smile.gif

VERIFYING A BURN

1-You can validate that the burn was done with the appropriate layerbreak, booktype and that the image burnt corresponds to the image file on HD. The method is presented in the thread How to verify a burn . Note that this is not required and simply a validation.

2-You can also verify the stealth/iXtreme compliance as per Media Stealth: What is needed and How To Verify, (DMI, PFI, Video Partition, Samsung SS) .

QUOTE( Which Drive to extract @ )
**The lastest iXtreme FW will not allow you to rip (extract) games with any software (XBCreator, schtrom, IsoBuster...). You will need to reflash xtreme800 or acquire a Sh-D162C(ide)/SH-D163A(sata) for your PC in order to backup games.

QUOTE( SPLITVID Explained @ starting with XBC 2.6/Schtrom 3.3)

Video Partition On your original disc you have a small dvd partition that will show the famous message 'to play this disc put it in a Xbox 360'. It is what you will see if you put a game in your PC or if you have the wrong key in your modded X360. That small partition on an original disc is in fact divided between layer 0 and layer 1 of the dual layer disc.
Before Splitvid: Splitvid is in fact an adapted version of the traditional Xtreme format used up to XBC 2.6/Schtrom 3.3. The traditional Xtreme format backup have both part of the video partition on layer 0. Current hacked firmware will manage the request for the video partition sector of layer 1 such that they appear as being in their right place even if in fact recovered from layer 0 (thks to C4Eva). As a result, if the disk is queried for the various sectors, they appear at their proper place.
Splitvid: The new splitvid format respects the format of an original disc by having the video partition on layer 1 as per the original. It also maintain a copy of the layer 1 video partition on layer 0 such that it respect the traditional Xtreme format. Both format are included so you lose nothing by using it.
Current Hacked Firmware: None of the hacked firmware (including iXtreme 1.2) currently used the splitvid format so it is not required at this point. When queried for the sectors of layer 1, the firmware gets it on layer 0 thus making it transparent outside the DVD drive where the sector really is.
About The Future: No speculation plse, will the firmware eventually use the video partition from layer 1 as per original disc ? no way to know!!! Since the remapping of the sectors makes this transparent it does not seem to make a big difference. It does not hurt to have the splitvid in your backups if it ever gets implemented in the firmware then you will be ready (remember everyone currently redoing their backup with stealth wink.gif )
Detection: Now as per the pinned topics, no one knows what MS will next try or can detect or not.
This thread is not to be turned into a speculation debate as it happened on this subject previously (i'll be watching biggrin.gif )

Edited by sosotiit, 22 December 2008 - 04:06 AM.

#2 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

IMGBURN INSTALL
You can download Imgburn at imgburn v2.3 , and use the installer.
  • When used through XBCr do not set the layerbreak to manual, XBCr will manage this for you. In Tools/Settings/Write/Options Layerbreak should be “Calculate Optimal”.
  • With the latest firmware (Hitachi v2.3 and Samsung 3.1+) the booktype setting at DVD-ROM is not required, but it does not hurt. You can set it in Tools/Drive/Change Book Type/'Your burner Brand' select 'change For:' to a 'DVD +R DL MEDIA' and in 'New Setting' choose DVD-ROM + hit Change.
  • Some LG and Samsung burner do not have permanent bitsetting (stored in the Burner memory) like for most burner. They require the software to do it before each burn, this can be selected in Tools/Settings/Write/check Auto ‘Change Book Type’.
XBOX BACKUP CREATOR INSTALL
You can get XBCr from the link at the top of the thread and extract it in a directory, nothing more to do. Simply run “Xbox Backup Creator.exe”.
  • Imgburn (and Nero) if they are already installed on your PC will show in the scroll window when XBCr starts (1). If imgburn is not listed in the windows, you can open the selection window by using the “…” button (2) and indicating the location of the “ImgBurn.exe” file (3).
    IPB Image
  • If you have problems loading XBCr make sure you have .NET installed (windows updater), and VB6 runtimes + mscomctl.ocx which are included in the installer as “Xbox Backup Creator v2.4.exe”. Only do this step if you have problems.
  • Vista: Plse use the included installer. Some people had to turn on User Account Control (UAC) and make sure it was run as admin.
  • Not seeing your TS-H943A: Turn off the "FW Branding Check" on the options tab unless you need it (A hitachi branded as samsung or opposite). For those using a VIA6421 card, you should try using the version 5.2 of the Via drivers (here)
SOME COMMON PROBLEMS
  • Ripping is extremely long (30+ minutes): Your Drive is probably not in DMA Mode (Went in PIO Mode). You can change that in Device Manager and can easily be found via Google wink.gif.
  • Getting an error during the rip
    -You have this with all your games then it is probably a setup problem, if you are using a SH-D162C you can try moving it Primary/Secondary IDE and Master/Slave.
    -You have that with only one game then clean your disk very well. If that does not resolve it could be your original is damage or marginal (see this post).
  • You are getting “Unknown Partition size. Used bytes = 5.32 MB” then upgrade to XBCr 2.4.
  • During the burn if you are getting “Session Fixation Errors”, “Optimum Power Calibration failures”, or “Invalid Write Address failures”, they are usually due to low quality media or a defective burner if you were using adequate media (look at this post).
Rgds, soso

Edited by sosotiit, 30 March 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#3 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

NME BACKUPS
after you have completed the RIPPING section:

IPB Image
  • method 1: you open the NME-360 aSSociat0r.exe, select convert, choose the file and hit Convert.
    or
  • method 2: reopen XBCr/drive tools/securitysector save as SSnme.bin, open the NME-360 aSSociat0r.exe, select merge, choose the game file & SSnme.bin and hit Create.
Note:
-that this is for X360 games only as indications are that NME chips do not support Xbox 1 Backups.
-You must first make sure that your chip is functioning properly ( Modchip Development / Research ).

Single Layer Backups
Only Xbox 1 titles can be made on SL disc and it requires FW 5.3 or prior on your X360 samsung Drive (iXtreme does not support Sl anymore and Hitachi drive never supported that feature)
  1. Do your iso like you would do it for a dual layer backup (xbox 1) as per tutorial above
  2. Instead of burning, open Xdvdmulleter,
  3. select Build an ISO, Next
  4. Load from file, select the ISO, next
  5. select Create DVD5 ISO, next
  6. region, next
  7. For SS file , Load from source iso (you may have to select generic for DVD5), next
  8. Sealth sectors, Use source ISO, Next
  9. layout, optimize for Disk or load a layout file if you have one
  10. make iso

rgds,soso

Edited by sosotiit, 13 June 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#4 tonemgub

tonemgub

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I´ve done some backups with this tutorial: http://team-underdog.com/howto.html

For all backups this works fine. Now with the game "test drive unlimited" I´ll get the information
on the screen: "Please insert game into a 360 box"

What else can I do? I don`t want to destroy lot´s of dvd´s (Verbatine)

1) try again with schtrom 3.2 (my last one was 3.1)?
2) backup creator 2.4?

I`ve got the chip NME, SH-D162C+Kreon 0.81

Thanks in advance for your help

#5 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

you can try the two method above, as good as I can give you because I do not have a NME to test.

It seems the SS is not good so it is either
1) extraction of the SS (how was it done)
or the
2) transfer to NME SS position (method 1 or 2)

if your other backup are working that is all I see (you could try backup another game)

rgds,soso

#6 tonemgub

tonemgub

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Mar 11 2007, 10:41 AM) View Post

you can try the two method above, as good as I can give you because I do not have a NME to test.

It seems the SS is not good so it is either
1) extraction of the SS (how was it done)
or the
2) transfer to NME SS position (method 1 or 2)

if your other backup are working that is all I see (you could try backup another game)

rgds,soso

Thanks for the quick reply Soso,

The SS was done by the program (Schtrom, Version 3.1), then the iso blown up with the program NME_aSSociat0r, vers. 0.3. I´ve burned it with the imgburn. All other backup works fine, done like written before.
I´ve now done another backup with schtrom 3.2 and one with the backup creator 2.4.

Actually I´m off Verbatim. After receiving them I will inform all, if it works.

Best regards.

#7 tonemgub

tonemgub

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hello again,

Now it works biggrin.gif

I´ve used the Schtrom 360Xtract V2.3, then the NME-360 aSSociatOr and burned it with the imgburn.
I also tryed a cheaper dvd (Memorex).

So if somebody have a problem with test drive, he should use the upper mentioned programs.

Best regards.

#8 wlintek

wlintek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

just wondering if any one has come across this prolem. i tried to rip the Winning11 JAP version using xbc 2.3 and sh-d162c, all i get after ripping is 7.05 GB image. surely it's not correct but what i have done wrong?

#9 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(wlintek @ Mar 16 2007, 08:03 PM) View Post

just wondering if any one has come across this prolem. i tried to rip the Winning11 JAP version using xbc 2.3 and sh-d162c, all i get after ripping is 7.05 GB image. surely it's not correct but what i have done wrong?

what is the question exactly?
-is it that the image is always 7.05BG (if so they are all that size)
rgds, soso

#10 wlintek

wlintek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Mar 17 2007, 01:46 AM) View Post

what is the question exactly?
-is it that the image is always 7.05BG (if so they are all that size)
rgds, soso

if i'm not wrong, the image after ripping should always be 7.3GB but mine is always 7.05gb so it does not work. tried the burnt disc at both native JAP and PAL consoles same result. this is my first back up game that does not work using xbc and sh-d162c. i just want to know if there is a special method to back uop this game?

#11 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

you are wrong, it is suppose to be 7,395,392KB (not 7.3GB). Since converting from KB to MB to GB requires to divide by 1024 (not 1000 since it is binary based) that gives 7,395,392KB /1024/1024=7.05GB.

That 7.05GB is mentionned often, a bit of research plse wink.gif

rgds,soso

#12 wlintek

wlintek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(sosotiit @ Mar 17 2007, 02:05 PM) View Post

you are wrong, it is suppose to be 7,395,392KB (not 7.3GB). Since converting from KB to MB to GB requires to divide by 1024 (not 1000 since it is binary based) that gives 7,395,392KB /1024/1024=7.05GB.

That 7.05GB is mentionned often, a bit of research plse wink.gif
rgds,soso
thanks for your help. i just don't know why winning11 does not work for me used same method doing the back up. i thought the size of the image might be the issue as it's a bit smaller than those worked images that i did.

#13 kbracing6

kbracing6

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

Great Work! I followed BURNING METHOD B: WITH IMGBURN 2.3 with my NEC DVD RW ND-2500A(Flashed With Herrie's NEC Firmware to NEC DVD RW ND-2510A) burned Tetris Evolution on Verbatim DVD+RL 2.4x and everything worked FINE!!! Once again great tutorial!

#14 JooV

JooV

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

Strange error: The start button on my Xbox Backup Creator is not clickable... Why is that?

#15 ScrewinGates

ScrewinGates

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

mine was like that..then i noticed i had the wrong dvd drive selected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users