Photo

PS3 background downloading already broken?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

PS3 background downloading already broken?
Posted by XanTium | 28-2-2007 14:07 EST

From joystiq.com:

One of our biggest gripes with the PS3 has been how poorly the system downloads files: you can't resume broken downloads, nor can you do anything whilst your system is downloading a file. No games. No movies. No music. Nada.

This was all supposed to be fixed in Sony's upcoming 1.6 firmware update. But, is it already broken before its release? Apparently so. The Inner Bits has "obtained" info about the upcoming firmware revision, and it's not looking good. The background downloads are limited to while you are in the XMB. If you launch a game, the system will pause your download because "the PS3 needs extra system resources (primarily memory) to do background downloading."

Full Story: joystiq.com

#2 elmo_sni

elmo_sni

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

this is what going to nvidia at the last minute will do to you...

#3 KaRiL

KaRiL

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

kind of defeats the purpose if you can't play games blink.gif
oh well its not out yet, maybe they'll fix it...

#4 lando786

lando786

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

if its only towards not gaming i can live with it, i mean lets say i wanna play a few rounds of resistance while i download... the game will totally lag for sure, at least it pauses the DL and doesn't have to restart it completely. and if i can watch a movie while i download ill be really pleased biggrin.gif lets wait and see what they'll do

#5 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

YAAAAAYY broken before release. jester.gif

Sony will probably fix it before it is realeased,at least i would hope so. I also wish they would make it so i didn't have to plug the controller in on updates, picky i know but it is still annyoing.

#6 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

kinda saw this coming. Dont know if they will be able to fix it before release cause I think its a hardware issue. The CPU already has alot to worry about.

#7 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

If you launch a game, the system will pause your download because "the PS3 needs extra system resources (primarily memory) to do background downloading."

What happened to this being 'the most powerful games console available', when it can't even manage background downloading???

Every time I look at the PS3 news pages, there's something else the PS3 'can't' do.

Apart from creating a big hole in your wallet, what 'can' it do that the 360 or Wii can't?

#8 charlesnelson9

charlesnelson9

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Not all 360 games let you download while playing, like crackdown for example paused my downloads the other day when I started it up. The PS3 is just like the 360 except the system costs an extra $200 upfront instead of charging from $50-$100 a year for online service. Oh yeah, and it plays bluray, browses the web, and runs linux if you're into that.

#9 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(charlesnelson9 @ Mar 1 2007, 08:50 PM) View Post

Not all 360 games let you download while playing, like crackdown for example paused my downloads the other day when I started it up. The PS3 is just like the 360 except the system costs an extra $200 upfront instead of charging from $50-$100 a year for online service. Oh yeah, and it plays bluray, browses the web, and runs linux if you're into that.

The limitation for the 360 is that some games want a full connection to Live from the get-go. This is the only reason.

So what you're saying, as a games console it's not doing anything better?

FTR, the PS3 in the UK will be 430, with the cheapest 360 now available for 150. That's hardly $200 difference.

Martin

#10 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 2 2007, 02:47 AM) View Post

The limitation for the 360 is that some games want a full connection to Live from the get-go. This is the only reason.

FTR, the PS3 in the UK will be 430, with the cheapest 360 now available for 150. That's hardly $200 difference.

Martin

As a game console it really doesn't do much better than the 360, but there are a few things that have potential impacts. It has BR which will likely ensure that there are never any multidisk games. Every system has an HDD so devs are free to set up caching/installs to reduce load times without worry about HDD-less systems. Online gaming is free... it's no where near as cohesive as Live, but it IS free. It uses bluetooth and accepts lots of standardized equipment, so you can buy just about any BT wireless headset and it will work. Same with web cams. Same goes for wireless keyboards, though no games really make use of that yet. The high-end model accepts lots of type of flash cards, so if you ever have need to transfer saves you can likely use any cards you have around for cameras/phones/etc... without having to buy an expensive and small proprietary memory card. It can network with PSPs which is a feature that could be utilized for games, though nothing yet uses it and how popular that would actually be is admittedly questionable.

That's just the stuff with potential gaming related impact. But in reality you know up front you are also paying for non-gaming related abilites. Stuff like blu-ray movies, web browsing, linux, built-in wireless, a larger HDD than the 360, and various other media capabilites... The hard drive can also be replaced by the user with any SATA laptop drive and have the full capacity recognized and used... no need to wait to for an official upgrade as is the case with the 360. Is this a good strategy for a game console? At this point it looks doubtful, though it could payoff in the long run. Is it worth the $600 we paid here in the US? Well, if you have an HDTV and can make use of the BR player... yes. Otherwise, probably not until there is a solid library of games and/or the price drops.

#11 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:21 AM

I wonder if this was the main reason GTHD was axed and released as a demo. That game was built on in game downloads/micro-transactions. Imagine if you have to quit the game to download a new car or new track. It was bad enough you were suppose to buy your game in pieces as it was.

Edited by dvsone, 03 March 2007 - 08:22 AM.

#12 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

I've always assumed GTHD was axed to concentrate on development of GT5.

#13 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

GTHD was axed cause it made no f****** sense no matter how u look at it.

But is that really a limitation of the 360? The point of it is to save bandwidth (something the 360 has no control over). The ps3 pauses to save threads in the hardware which is kinda primitive these days. Thats something I expect the psp to have a problem with not the ps3.

it uses background downloading while in the dash but pauses it when u boot a game which kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

Edited by incognegro, 05 March 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#14 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 2 2007, 02:47 AM) View Post

This happens with PGR3 as well, as soon as you enter the main menu. It's annoying, but then again, the menu shows online statistics and friends in-game achievements; so its not for nothing.

From what i'm saying, the 360 is better in every category as a game console.

Yeah hardly $200, that's simple pocket change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users