PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:34 AM

Sony Blackballs Kotaku over Achievements Rumor
Posted by XanTium | 1-3-2007 18:34 EST

From kotaku.com:

Earlier today we posted a rumor story on the site about a possible announcement of a new technology coming to Sony's Playstation 3.

The Playstation Home, we reported, would be an intriguing blending of the Mii and achievements, allowing gamers to create a virtual world for customized avatars and then decorate that space with items unlocked through game play.

What readers couldn't have known was the great lengths we went to to try and pin down the veracity of the rumor before publishing and, when finally deciding to go live with the rumor, to make sure we put it in the correct context.

In so doing, Sony asked us not to publish the story, first nicely, then not so much. Sony Computer Entertainment of American representatives reminded us that the story was a rumor and then went on to say that publishing it could harm our professional relationship with them.

When I responded that we were going forward with the story and that sometimes news doesn't come from official sources I was told that if we published we would likely be blackballed by the company.

Specifically, they said we would be asked to return our debug PS3, uninvited from all meetings scheduled with Sony at GDC, including one on blogger relations and a one-on-one with Phil Harrison, and that they would no longer deal with us.

Looks like Sony will never learn it ... Kotaku 1 - Sony 0.
Full Story: kotaku.com

#2 calderra

calderra

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

What.
The.
uhh.gif

Anyone still on the fence as to whether Sony's top brass are insane? *checks hands* Newp, didn't think so.

#3 stevenalvarado

stevenalvarado

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Location:Costa Rica PlayStation3 Version: none Nintendo Wii Version: v4.1u
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

The Playstation Home, we reported, would be an intriguing blending of the Mii and achievements, allowing gamers to create a virtual world for customized avatars and then decorate that space with items unlocked through game play

what an excellent idea!

too bad sony got mad at the huuuge exclusive kotaku got.

....or maybe sony got mad because they as a company couldnīt hold the secret of these new features. sleep.gif

Edited by stevenalvarado, 02 March 2007 - 12:16 AM.

#4 kneehighspy

kneehighspy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:vintage console coding (vectrex, 5200, colecovision) vintage pc coding (apple ][, c64 & amiga 1000).
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

i own a ps3 also and i think it's great what kotaku did. i was just over at the official ps3 forums and all the fucking sony sheep are all baahing about how powerful and great sony is for doing this to kotaku. a rumor was only posted, not the fucking recipe for old coca-cola.

first the background downloading issues, lack of great games and now this. man it's just disgusting to own a sony product any more to be associated with all the sony sheep at the official forums.

#5 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:20 AM

I never really looked at kotaku.com unless something was posted here. I think all the colors did something with my impression of them. This article alone has changed my opinion and given me reason to check them out a lot more.

Good Job Kotaku! IPB Image

#6 thax

thax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

When will the press learn that they are only extensions to the corporate and government PR machines?

#7 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

Oh well... Sony can do as they want just as much as Kotaku did.

#8 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users