PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:40 AM

PS3 will eventually upscale your awful DVDs
Posted by XanTium | 2-3-2007 23:40 EST

From joystiq.com:

In the fourth and final part of N'Gai Croal's epic and quite informative interview with Phil Harrison, the Sony head of worldwide studios discusses his company's cultural approach to marketing in Japan. Mr. Harrison explains that in order to engender trust in Japanese consumers, Sony should start divulging more information and features earlier, even if they aren't quite "perfect" yet. His example? "You know, we're not sure when it's coming, but we're going to have DVD upscaling on Playstation 3." He follows up with, "There you go. There's a scoop for you."

Full Story: joystiq.com and newsweek.com

#2 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:17 AM

A scoop? This has already been announced by the announcer and is old news. dry.gif

Also why the dam thing hasn't always upconverted boggles the mind, every other blue ray and hddvd player on the market does.

#3 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:28 AM

There's scattered reports of upscaling of PS2 games as well - but I can't figure out if it's upscaling of your current titles or upscaled PS2 titles you buy on the network.

Knowing Sony, it's probably the latter. dry.gif

#4 thax

thax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Sony should blackball Phil Harrison.

#5 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Mar 3 2007, 05:35 PM) View Post

There's scattered reports of upscaling of PS2 games as well - but I can't figure out if it's upscaling of your current titles or upscaled PS2 titles you buy on the network.

Knowing Sony, it's probably the latter. dry.gif

What PS2 games on the network?

#6 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 3 2007, 07:58 PM) View Post

What PS2 games on the network?

http://www.engadget....ames-at-launch/
Perhaps the biggest relief to nervous Eurogamers will be Harrison's claim that over 1,000 PS2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network at launch, a list of which will be made available online on the 23rd or perhaps even sooner.
Want some more potentially good news? How'd you like all those legacy games to utilize the PS3's upscaling ability and add new life to your favorite classics? Well that's exactly what Sony plans to do with a firmware update this summer, claims "Rumor Reporter" Bruce Kelly, whose sources tell him that the company is looking to bring 1080i/720p support to its upcoming emulator

Edited by throwingks, 04 March 2007 - 02:37 AM.

#7 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

Huh, thats funny. smile.gif

The PS3 has no upscaling capabilities. ph34r.gif

#8 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Mar 3 2007, 08:28 PM) View Post

Huh, thats funny. smile.gif

The PS3 has no upscaling capabilities. ph34r.gif

thats what i was thinking when i read that, it can't even upscale its current games let alone last-gen titles

#9 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:47 AM

Interesting. I missed that part about PS2 games being on the PSN... over 1000? Are we sure there isn't some sort of miscommunication here? I knew the software emulator was going to be able to handle over 1000 PS2 games, but having that many on the PSN seems far fetched. When I think of PSN games I think of downloadable games like Grip Shift and Blast Factor. Perhaps you have to download some sort of profile as is the case with the 360.

Anyway, you guys don't seem to understand scaling. You don't have to have a hardware scaler to scale. It could be handled by the GPU and/or CPU if they have enough spare power left when running the emulated games. If the rumor about scaling emulated games is true then that's how it would be done. It just has a higher 'cost' than having a dedicated chip do it.

Edited by Thraxen, 04 March 2007 - 05:49 AM.

#10 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:57 AM

I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned how the dev consoles can natively render the PS2 titles in HD, rather than just upscale them. That would be nice to see, although it probably won't happen...

#11 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 3 2007, 08:54 PM) View Post

Anyway, you guys don't seem to understand scaling. You don't have to have a hardware scaler to scale. It could be handled by the GPU and/or CPU if they have enough spare power left when running the emulated games. If the rumor about scaling emulated games is true then that's how it would be done. It just has a higher 'cost' than having a dedicated chip do it.

Actually I absolutely understand scaling. With hardware scaling there is NO cost to the system and is the proper way to scale. Software scaling is extremely taxing on any system and since the PS3 isn't as powerful as I would have hoped (most games at 720P for example) it seems like it would destroy the performance of any recent game being scaled.

The fact that the PS3 doesn't have any hardware scaling (or software for the time being) is my number one gripe about the PS3 and was discussed a lot on this forum. There was even a programmer that has worked on the PS3 since its inception that confirmed the lack of a hardware scaler and the fact that if they used existing hardware it would tax the crap out of the system.

I am also very tired of hearing about rumors and would like some actual progress

end rant biggrin.gif

Edited by mlmadmax, 04 March 2007 - 06:30 AM.

#12 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

I don't know how efficient their software emulator is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull off scaling on the emulated BC games... it should be fairly easy on the PS1 games.

#13 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 4 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post
I don't know how efficient their software emulator is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull off scaling on the emulated BC games... it should be fairly easy on the PS1 games.

Yeah, PC's do that fairly easy (PS1 games rendered in UXGA look SO much better).

#14 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:19 AM

There will not be PS2 games on PSN. Check the article again, it has been corrected.
http://www.engadget....ames-at-launch/

Edited by Technitian3, 05 March 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#15 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

^
...Perhaps the biggest relief to nervous Eurogamers will be Harrison's claim that over 1,000 PS2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network at launch fully software-backwards compatible...

They struck it out. IPB Image

Edited by throwingks, 05 March 2007 - 01:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users