• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

I have a question on the 12v fan mod, i noticed there are 2 different ways the wires are connected up in the tutorials? which one is correct?

one photo says to connect the black fan lead to the screw on the motherboard, yet the other photo says to connect the black lead from the fan the the side sheilding on the xbox using insulating tape or to solder it....

which of these methods is correct, prefered method to use? thanks

Edited by sifusifu, 03 March 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Dark Master

Dark Master

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I would probably go with the black wire under the screw on the motherboard...

Over time you'll find that that shielding just takes up space in your XBox, and you will soon need to remove it,

Thats why I'd use the method i listed above

#3 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

i think i would also go for grounding it to the motherboard,it made me curious after seeing 2 different photos of ways to do it? i justed wanted to see what others had done, i not sure bout removing any sheilding in there myself, i just wanna upgrade my fan to 12v one with colored blue leds or such, and add some glow to the rear, a lso, i thought it would be better to remove most of the plastic grill and sheilding just were the fan goes,to give a nice open space for airflo,and then cover this over with a nice custom laser cut fan grill in
such as copper,or chrome or such, should look good,what do you think?

#4 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

A 12v fan mod is the same as having it run at 100%, if you're modded with a hacked dashboard. The mod can be very loud, even if you get a good fan. IMO it's better to keep control over the fan speed and turn it up and down when needed.

Edited by jimbobjim, 03 March 2007 - 07:03 PM.

#5 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

XBMC even has a thermostat function keeping the xbox at a certian temperature.

#6 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(sifusifu @ Mar 3 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post

If you lookin' for a quiet 12v fan mod, just got to Llamma.com and get you a 80mm Quad LED fan with the molex adapter. I got a Red one, it's quiet as hell.

#7 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

yeah, i 've had a look on there,i'm looking for something for an xcm blue case , how did you conect it up with the molex? how many leads are there on there?

#8 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(sifusifu @ Mar 3 2007, 09:14 AM) View Post

I have a question on the 12v fan mod, i noticed there are 2 different ways the wires are connected up in the tutorials? which one is correct?

one photo says to connect the black fan lead to the screw on the motherboard, yet the other photo says to connect the black lead from the fan the the side sheilding on the xbox using insulating tape or to solder it....

which of these methods is correct, prefered method to use? thanks

Either method will do the same effect. It's easier to just cut the wire and tape it on with electircal tape to the sheliding. Again purely preference.

#9 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:52 AM

yeah, its down to preference it seems,as long as they both do the same job........

though,if a fan comes with 3 leads to connect,red,black,white, were does the white one connect to? or what if its a 4 pin one,what bout' the other leads,were do they go, the tutorials dont seem to mention this? any help on were to connect all the leads up?

Edited by sifusifu, 04 March 2007 - 12:53 AM.

#10 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

That white wire can also be yellow its for computer motherboard to use so dont worry about it.

#11 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:49 AM

The yellow/white wire is for fan speed signal output, and enables your computer to read the fans exact RPM.

Edited by jimbobjim, 04 March 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#12 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:13 AM

so if the white/yellow lead is for fan speed and such,does it connect anywere? is so,were to?

if its left unconnected,wont it touch something inside if its left as is? thanks

#13 garver

garver

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:17 AM

It doesnt connect anywhere at all. If it touchs anything it wont do anything at all, if you are still worried just put some tape on the end.

#14 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

12v mods are great and all, but I have a better alternative... two actually!

1. Change the fan speed in your bios(If you are using a chip/tsop)

or

2. Do the 12v mod but add in a fan speed controller (The one from llamma is what I use) Now you will have a full 12v running to the fan, but when you turn down the speed controller, you can go as low as 5v I think. I use this all the time. 12v for long gaming sessions, 5 for movies, and anywhere in between as needed.

As for where to connect the lead, go for the MB. Since you can screw it down with a case screw you can rest assured it isn't going to come loose if you move it around. The tape method is a little more iffy. Also, don't forget that when you add in an 80mm fan, you're going to be pushing alot more air, so a full 12v is rarely necessary.

#15 isedeasy

isedeasy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

When ever I attch something to the ground I use one of these

IPB Image

If you solder the wire and crimp it then you are sure it will never come loose, also I use a screw holw on part of the motherboard that has no traces around it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users