• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

thanks everyone, thats very usefull info, i havent attempted to do nay mods before,but have got inspired from seeing what can be done with the xbox from these forums,so,decided to have a go myself and liven my black box up!

QUOTE(Dracc @ Mar 4 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post

12v mods are great and all, but I have a better alternative... two actually!

1. Change the fan speed in your bios(If you are using a chip/tsop)

or

2. Do the 12v mod but add in a fan speed controller (The one from llamma is what I use) Now you will have a full 12v running to the fan, but when you turn down the speed controller, you can go as low as 5v I think. I use this all the time. 12v for long gaming sessions, 5 for movies, and anywhere in between as needed.

As for where to connect the lead, go for the MB. Since you can screw it down with a case screw you can rest assured it isn't going to come loose if you move it around. The tape method is a little more iffy. Also, don't forget that when you add in an 80mm fan, you're going to be pushing alot more air, so a full 12v is rarely necessary.

thanks,how do you set up the option with speed controller oon an stock xbx?thanks

QUOTE(isedeasy @ Mar 4 2007, 03:14 PM) View Post

When ever I attch something to the ground I use one of these

IPB Image

If you solder the wire and crimp it then you are sure it will never come loose, also I use a screw holw on part of the motherboard that has no traces around it....

were do you get these little attachments from? thanks

Edited by sifusifu, 04 March 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#17 icuubi

icuubi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

You can get those crimp on connectors at any autoparts/hardware store.

But I have to ask this, why ground the fan on the mobo or the sheilding? Why not just connect it to one of the grounds on the molex connector? Thats how I wired mine up and its working just fine.

#18 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

i think aslong as its grounded somewere,either m/b, sheilding,or molex, its should be okay,maybe someone with more tech knowledge can expalin why.

#19 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

i got a Hiperflow green led fan,comes with yellow,black,red wires into small plug, is'nt it just possible to connect this straight to the existing connecter on the motherboard were the original xbox fan is plugged in?

#20 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

As long as it fits on the current connector on the motherboard it should work.

#21 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(sifusifu @ Mar 4 2007, 05:37 AM) View Post
thanks,how do you set up the option with speed controller oon an stock xbx?thanks

Well, you could do it like this: Do the 12v mod to the fan controller itself, then connect the fan into the controller. This will give the controler a full 12v without having to use a modified bios, and the controller would then be able to select between 5v and 12v. Works just as well as the bios way, and you would be surprised how nice it is to be able to turn the fan up or down as needed.

#22 sifusifu

sifusifu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

Dracc,
that sounds good,i notice on Llamma's site they have...12VCASE FAN POWER ADAPTER,also,....VARIABLE SPEED FAN CONTROLLER..and says they are used together?would i require both of these to connect my Hiperflow 12v Fan inside the xbox? if so, which one do you actually connect the Hiperflow fan to? when both of them have connectors?thanks

#23 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

This is all you need:
IPB Image
Tonight I will try and get a pic of the way in which I installed mine to give you an idea. I removed the black plastic exposing the components and the drilled a hole in the rear of the case for the knob. Used a good amount of gorilla glue, and its held tight ever since. Also, to clearify, you would ground the black(I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) pin to ground in order to give the controller a full 12v. After that just plug your case fan into the pins you can see at the bottom and you have a 12v mod with variable controller.

If you want, you could use the adapter cable to power the controller, the only advantage in this is that the adapter already supplies 12v. Though I wouldn't waste the money just to avoid pulling a pin out of a connector and connecting it to ground.

Edited by Dracc, 15 March 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#24 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

wow, i am surprised to see that people are still doing the 12v mod with all of the bios/dashboard control over the xbox temperature available.

as mentioned before, XBMC allows you to control fan speed or set a degree for temperature control so unless you are making a slim-box there should be no concerns with fan speed or noise. but to each his own...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users