• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lbxac20

lbxac20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

First post but not new to PCs. I have a non-modded xbox that started acting up one day. Symptoms are the plasma screen and xbox symbol load fine. White Microsoft appears. Then things get very slow. The dashboard will load after about 2 minutes. Sound is very distorted. System will respond to controller inputs but I have to hold any button for 3-5 seconds, then wait another five seconds for the action to take place (such as scrolling to set the time.) I can get into all the menus, which all look okay but the reported free space which shows zero blocks available, though there is only about four or five game saves on the drive. All menus are very slow except once I get drilled down to the network menu, then the system is as fast as normal. Exit the Network menu and everything is slow again.

Sounds like the drive is corrupted, and I have spent a lot of time looking to see if there is tools like defrag or ckfs, but there seems to be nothing of the sort out there. I did find a brief tutorial on cloning a drive (I have another 10G drive of the same make, though not the same model.) But I do not have Ghost on hand. I looked at SlaYers ISO options and there appears to be an option to set a drive to factory fresh state. This is kind of what I would like to fall back to if the consensus is that the drive is bad and not the system. I just want to get the system working so my kids can have one to use, leaving me with my new 360. (Thanks CompUSA for closing the store in my town. 10% off is sweet, though 20% would have been better!)

I have spent many hours search the xbox-scene forums as well as the web and have seen no other reports of similar problems.

Any help would be appreciated. If drive is toast, a good none-modding tutorial would be nice. Don't care about what is on the drive, just want the system to work again.

Thanks.

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

Sounds like the hdd is toast. Defrag is not possible, nor necessary as the fatx file system doesn't fragment. You're going to have to replace the drive and rebuild the files.
With the state of your xbox, installing a chip (at least temporarily ) is the safest/easiest way to do this.
Someone else will recommend xboxhdm and hotswap...but I wont.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users