KeizerSoze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

i found a forum post in the past advising users to turn down there cache in order to help w/buffering. i was wondering is there any other way?

i have a 3MB DSL connection. when i stream using my pc, everything works just fine. there's a lot of kewl scripts on xBmc that i want to take advantage of, but they make watching unbearable due to the constant buffering every 10 seconds or so. i mean...some scripts work fine! like the CNN script or the CAMZ script. but, most seem to really lag.

well? any insight guys? thanks!

#2 akaigotchi

akaigotchi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

I think this could be solved by using QOS/bandwidth management on your router/network component. Setting the QOS level for streaming media higher sometimes solves these issues. Well and sometimes it doesn't change anything if you have a very laggy connection from your ISP to the destination host smile.gif I'd give it a spin if I were you. If your router doesn't support QOS and you are looking for a quite good one I'd recommend using the ASUS WL500-GP which I am using myself. Even though this little machine has some downsides it has more nifty features than you could wish: QOS management, 2xUSB2.0 connectors for external hdd or printer (Print server), 4 RJ-45 connectors, 108Mbps W-LAN.... Just check it out and NO, I am not getting anything from Asus smile.gif

If you have further questions on that, just feel free to ask me smile.gif

Cheers
akaigotchi

BTW, i have a 4Mbit connection and I set my cache in XBMC to 768k for streaming video AND for unkown internet content. Works perfect for me smile.gif

QUOTE(KeizerSoze @ Mar 7 2007, 03:54 PM) View Post

i found a forum post in the past advising users to turn down there cache in order to help w/buffering. i was wondering is there any other way?

i have a 3MB DSL connection. when i stream using my pc, everything works just fine. there's a lot of kewl scripts on xBmc that i want to take advantage of, but they make watching unbearable due to the constant buffering every 10 seconds or so. i mean...some scripts work fine! like the CNN script or the CAMZ script. but, most seem to really lag.

well? any insight guys? thanks!

#3 KeizerSoze

KeizerSoze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

kewl...i'll have to try that. thanks for the advice!!

#4 Dynam!c

Dynam!c

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Im trying that out also! I sometimes have troubles with streaming from YouTube.

#5 graphicsgod

graphicsgod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:51 AM

I took a look at it.. What settings should I use for optimal results unsure.gif?

IPB Image

Thanks!

Rob

#6 akaigotchi

akaigotchi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(graphicsgod @ Mar 30 2007, 05:58 AM) View Post

I took a look at it.. What settings should I use for optimal results unsure.gif?

IPB Image

Thanks!

Rob

I'd set your XBOX as a high priority device. Simply check on which port the XBOX is connected to your router and set that port to high priority, leave all others on low priority. You could also do this via entering your XBOX's MAC adress (could be found in SysInfo on XBMC or your any other XBOX dash).

As for the port settings/application priority:

I'd set everything except http to low priority. And I'd add the following ports on high priority:

mms port 1755
RTSP port 554
PNM port 7070
http port 8080

This should decrease buffering alot. But plz don't expect too much, if your link to your ISP isn't that strong (e.g. < 1 Mbit) or if you have a lot of other applications running that connect to the internet on the same or any other machine (usual suspects for killing large amounts of bandwidth: P2P soft like Emule/BT : For bandwidth enhancement simply turn those off completely). Also set all your network cards to 100 Mbit full duplex mode (or whatever is the highest available bitrate full duplex mode), as some routers/switches seem to have problems with autosensing (a common problem known among Cisco administrators wink.gif ) which could lower throughput in your setting.

If you have any further questions regarding this feel free to msg me in this thread or via PM.

Cheers
akaigotchi

Edited by akaigotchi, 03 April 2007 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users