Photo

2 Ethernet Connections Down 1 Rj45 Wire ? Here's How ..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 kat kon

kat kon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(AfternoonLemon @ Jun 19 2007, 02:38 PM) View Post

I've done this for years, although it is a halved for a PC and XBox - they both won't be maxing out their bandwidth at the same time. I don't think there is any problems of interference - the 4 pairs are twisted for the full length of the cable, and seperated at the double wall socket at either end. Just the same as gigabit ethernet uses, except the data is not combined into one line.

People, this 100 Megabit thing is a Red Hearing. You don't need to worry about 'combined bandwidth'. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to Transmit at 100 Megabit while Receiving on the other differential pair at 100 Megabit rates.

If you don't want a switch (and it's latency) between you and your ISP, this will work just fine.

#17 scibot

scibot

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

Id actually ran a Cat5e cable down the outer wall of my house, along with some other cables, the missus didnt want wide ducting, and my ducting is full. Glad I spotted this. It isnt brilliant for very long runs of cable due to cross-talk, and people who want GbE will have to run another cable... But this will work perfectly for people like me.

Just a small change though, there is only 1 wiring standard for straight through ethernet, T568A. The other one is T568B, and it is the same but with a reversed pair, for crossover connections.

#18 nkarnold

nkarnold

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

Totally nasty hack.. Probably suffer from CRC and jitter/framing errors behind the scenes.

Just get a cheap 10/100/1000 4 or 8 port SWITCH. who cares if you need to provide power..

#19 xorgos

xorgos

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have 1 cat5 line I ran to my family room and I have my xbox and my denon reciver i'd like to both have wired internet. I dont want to lose anything, especially on my xbox because of lag so heres my question. I have comcast but im not sure if i have a gigabyte connection. I temporarily threw this together so I wanted to know before I did it to the long line that runs to the family room. I tested this with 2 laptops and ran speed tests at the same time and it worked perfectly. Great tut btw. ive been playing around with this and switched the orange/orange white by accident on the female plug. switch them around and thats how it should look
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by xorgos, 12 February 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#20 lessweightgofaster

lessweightgofaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yeah been doing this for ages, 3pair phone cable (looks nicer having white cable running around the house rather than the purple or brown cat5 stuff) will work for one cat5 connection aswell, this wont make noise on the data lines thats why there twisted!
Cheers
Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users