Photo

The Best Os Layout

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: The Best OS Layout

The Best OS Layout

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

360 Blades hands down winer - easy to navigate and see all of your options easily and at once
PS3 - painful navigation of features and options - cumbersome and slow
Wii - nice interface, but very basic and will not do well with future additions
Windows - well we all know how that is, but i have to say that Vista is very nice as long as you got enough RAM

and there should have been other OS choices like Linux (Knoppix, Ubuntu, Gentoox, etc) or Mac - or at least called the Windows option as "other" - not that I like using those other OS' but still to be fair...

#17 quarky42

quarky42

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

Windows would suck on a console, however I still chose Windows because at least with Windows I can reoganize the folders how *I* want to see them.

All of my "Net" applications are in a "Net" folder. All of my image editing software is in "Imaging" and all of my Audio-Video software is in a "Audio-Video" folder.

I can move icons on and off my desktop and organize the views how I want to display them. I find the Xbox 360's media navigation abysmal.

On the other hand, I could organize the menu on Gnome, KDE, or other GUI on top of Linux just about as easily so really a Linux based desktop that allowed the user to change what was displayed or not displayed would be just as well by me.

I just want it to work. I've never had problems getting Windows menus to work... then again I turn off all that cutesy shit garbage like the fade effect and animation crap. I also disable most programs from running in the background, and make sure my computer isn't infected with spyware/junk. My 360 locks up a hell of a lot more than my PC running Windows.... I can lock up Need For Speed simply by driving too fast from one area to another before the next area finishes loading. Really pisses me off. It seems to happen four times more often when I'm streaming MP3s to the 360 at the same time... Microshaft wants to blame EA and EA wants to blame me and Microshaft. Too bad they can't release an update that actually fixes crap like this.

#18 Unregistered007

Unregistered007

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

I definitely like the XMB on ps3 since I love it on PSP. But the reason for ps3 favorism is that I like the video ICONS they are just down right amazing option!

Wii channels suck no thought was put into them... well I returned my Wii so I dun give a sh** about it but 360 interface > wii wii

QUOTE(794 @ Mar 12 2007, 09:59 PM) View Post

360 Blades hands down winer - easy to navigate and see all of your options easily and at once
Wii - nice interface, but very basic and will not do well with future additions
Windows - well we all know how that is, but i have to say that Vista is very nice as long as you got enough RAM

and there should have been other OS choices like Linux (Knoppix, Ubuntu, Gentoox, etc) or Mac - or at least called the Windows option as "other" - not that I like using those other OS' but still to be fair...

I don't bother replying to opinions but you are a bullSH***TER.. the XMB is the fastest and smootest to navigate its even faster than the 360's blades .. anyone here who ownz a ps3 and a 360 will say the same thing unless he is a blind fanboy

#19 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE(794 @ Mar 12 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post

I have to agree with Unregistered007 on this one - the XMB is in no way cumbersome and slow. The Playstation Store may be that, but certainly not the XMB.

#20 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

xbox360's blades as they work great on XBMC using the MC360 skin.

then windows.

#21 gli7ch

gli7ch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Girls, Cars and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

Ah well, I liked the original green backround on the xbox, but all that changed when the modifications came out... the sky is also a pretty color
blink.gif

#22 BRD

BRD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:BMX, Riding Unicycles, Video Games

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:14 AM

I only have the 360 console, but I do have PSP, and I just think that the XMB is really sleek and nice looking.

#23 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

i say that the 360 is a very nice lay out
easy to nav through

then windows

#24 flanagans

flanagans

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:&gt;&gt;Xbox-Linux<br />&gt;&gt;Xport Emulation<br />&gt;&gt;PSP Homebrew<br />&gt;&gt;Case Mods<br />&gt;&gt;XBMC<br />&gt;&gt;Networking
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

mac os x? smile.gif

#25 batmike1990

batmike1990

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

my opinions

wii: Havemt got one, seen em in action tho wernt to impressed IMO
360: The blades are cool but it wudda won my vote if it had more than 4 blades
ps3: not released yet but its the same as the psp, i hated the psp menu so lost my vote
windows: ive always loved windows, back from 3.1, 95 was ok, 98 was the best millenium horrible, xp great not fantastic tho and vista reminds me of a new xp skin in all fairness

#26 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

as far as consoles go, 360 dash. i own all 3. the 360 dash is just done right. the thing i like about the XMB is when you highlight a game it loads a game specific bg and plays a nice little song. other than that, it is a complete wreck. wii channels, nothing to complain about but the wii just doesn't have the options the 360 does. and windows well, i don't hate on windows like other people do but, you can't really compare it to the other 3, imo.

#27 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

*cough* BIAS *cough*

I'm sorry, I just don't like the blades. They're relatively slow. At least for me. I like menus/gui to be as fast as possible. I hate it when GUI designers slow it down so the idiots don't get lost because the menu is too fast. A good example is in Marble Blast Ultra I can hit Start, Down, A so fast it is just a flash on the screen to restart the match. I love that. Compare that to Halo 2's GUI for example, to change controller settings there is a slight delay when entering a submenu, like a fade almost. It is intentional.

I hate that, and that's what I feel the 360 blades are, intentionally delayed.

And why would somebody say that the Wii GUI is messed up? Everything is right there on one screen. GUI designers are told to try and minimize the number of actions required to get somewhere. With Windows or Wii, it's point and click, done. With PS3 or 360, it's move one blade, move another blade, move another blade, just to get to a screen that gives you the options you want. Wii and Windows were there to begin with.

#28 Sloppy Fat Dump

Sloppy Fat Dump

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Technology and success
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

Xbox 360 OS is very practical and easy to use. Not to mention very customizable. However, the PS3 media bar style is much more aesthetically pleasing. It's just so neat and mesmerizing on a good TV. But, it's much harder to navigate than the xbox 360's OS. I'm a artsy d-bag so I choose the PS3 media bar overall.

#29 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

360 is the winner. the ps3 interface is almost the same as the psp its not all that good. wii i havent played so i whont say anoything. windows lets not go there eyther.

#30 Yamthief

Yamthief

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

I've used all three and i think Sony probably has the easiest and fastest navigation out of all three to navigate, but sometimes it's a pain finding stuff...
Xbox's blades seem a little sluggish sometimes and wii's channels just make my arm ache.
personally tho, i'm going to stick with xbox, the ps3 is way too pricey for what it is, and wii just isnt powerful enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users