• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:01 AM

I finally got one! I love it so far. I've been playing Dead Rising and Gears of War so far. Now to the important stuff!

I bought this at Best Buy a few days ago, and it has a manufacture date on the back sticker of "2006-09-07". It appears (from the picture comparison guide) to be a Hitachi brand drive. I know that because of it's manufacture date it is most likely the 78FK, which means I cannot use the x360USB that I've been looking forward to, which sucks. Now that I've been looking around for more 78FK tutorials (http://video.google....488545587&hl=en) most notably, it seems much less complicated that it's made out to be.

However, I am not sure if it is the 78FK and was wondering if there is any quick way to tell, preferably without opening up my XBOX.

Also, is there anything that would prevent it from working if I do in fact have a 78FK drive and follow the tutorial posted above to a T?

Thanks in advance.

edit: Also, I'm wondering now if there's a really well done video (or picture) tutorial on making backup discs that will work with this drive/firmware, ect.

Edited by Muaar, 14 March 2007 - 05:08 AM.

#2 Lice_01

Lice_01

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:54 AM

You can compare your information (manufacture date, Team, Lot, and Drive) with the site here wink.gif

#3 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Lice_01 @ Mar 14 2007, 06:01 AM) View Post

You can compare your information (manufacture date, Team, Lot, and Drive) with the site here wink.gif

If my xbox has the same specs (team, manuf. date, lot) can I expect it to be 78FK like the others with those numbers? Either way I guess the only way to tell (and even then, flash it) is to pop open the hood and take a look.

Is there anything that would make my 78FK not mod like the one in the video tutorial i posted?

#4 Ichijoe

Ichijoe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

I wouldn't read to much into that "Date" I just snuck a peek at the Date-Stamp on my XBOX360 just now, and it was stamped with a March 26, 2006 Time-Stamp.

The Drive however was a Hitachi 47DJ from October 2005.

The only way to know ~what~ you have is to open your Box up and look at it.
Of course this has it's repercussions, but assuming you ~could~ re-flash it you're going to have to open it up anyway...

#5 np_guard

np_guard

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

I've aquired my Xbox recently (from Product Replacement form EBGames). the date on the back says Nov. 2007. I was worried about getting the new BenQ that can't be flashed or the new Hitachi v79. I was hoping to get a Samsung ms28 again but I ended with the Hitachi v78. My only complaints about the Hitachi 78 is that you don't have a firmware with the speed control as the Samsung have, so the drive runs quietly.

Anyway if you are looking for flashing avoid the BenQ or Hitachi. With that date of "2006-09-07" is likekly that you should have a Hitachi v78. Just to let you know... in my case Slax was not compatible vith my VIA Sata card. So I used my integrated nForce Sata.

#6 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(np_guard @ Mar 14 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

I've aquired my Xbox recently (from Product Replacement form EBGames). the date on the back says Nov. 2007. I was worried about getting the new BenQ that can't be flashed or the new Hitachi v79. I was hoping to get a Samsung ms28 again but I ended with the Hitachi v78. My only complaints about the Hitachi 78 is that you don't have a firmware with the speed control as the Samsung have, so the drive runs quietly.

Anyway if you are looking for flashing avoid the BenQ or Hitachi. With that date of "2006-09-07" is likekly that you should have a Hitachi v78. Just to let you know... in my case Slax was not compatible vith my VIA Sata card. So I used my integrated nForce Sata.

How can I tell if my onboard SATA is compatable with whatever drive I end up with? For example say I have the 78FK(I probably do). How do I tell if I'll need to get a PCI card or not?

My motherboard is an Asus P4S800D-X.

#7 stevew

stevew

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

I'd say your chances with that mobo are quite good. I just flashed my 78FK drive using the onboard SATA on my Asus P4C800E Deluxe mobo last night, and it worked without a hitch. By the way, if you're going to be using Textbook's excellent Tutorial, here's a little tip for you: Perhaps it's obvious to everyone else, but after you've booted from the SLAX CD (that you'll need to create) in order to enter into B mode on your Hitachi drive, reboot your PC but leave the Hitachi drive powered on in B mode. I must have stared at my PC screen for 5 minutes before I was convinced that I needed to reboot the PC in order to get into Windows. Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but it would have been nice if that were spelled out in the Tutorial (as mostly everything else is).

Edited by stevew, 14 March 2007 - 07:30 PM.

#8 bballing1210

bballing1210

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(np_guard @ Mar 14 2007, 10:13 AM) View Post

I recently bought one and it was the Samsung MS25 from Gamestop, so they are still out there for new systems.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

the date on the back says Nov. 2007.

Could have anything in it. It hasn't been made yet. Its only Mar 2007 now smile.gif

#10 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE(stevew @ Mar 14 2007, 07:25 PM) View Post

I'd say your chances with that mobo are quite good. I just flashed my 78FK drive using the onboard SATA on my Asus P4C800E Deluxe mobo last night, and it worked without a hitch. By the way, if you're going to be using Textbook's excellent Tutorial, here's a little tip for you: Perhaps it's obvious to everyone else, but after you've booted from the SLAX CD (that you'll need to create) in order to enter into B mode on your Hitachi drive, reboot your PC but leave the Hitachi drive powered on in B mode. I must have stared at my PC screen for 5 minutes before I was convinced that I needed to reboot the PC in order to get into Windows. Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but it would have been nice if that were spelled out in the Tutorial (as mostly everything else is).

Thanks for the info. I found out my chipset is "SiS 655FX" from the website i posted earlier. If it ends up not being a compatible chipset, when will I know? Will I end up frying my drive before I find out or will I just have to go pick up a PCI card and continue?

#11 Ichijoe

Ichijoe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(np_guard @ Mar 14 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

I've aquired my Xbox recently (from Product Replacement form EBGames). the date on the back says Nov. 2007.

Time Traveling have you?!
Last time I looked dry.gif (looks left then right), it was still March 2007?!

Edited by Ichijoe, 14 March 2007 - 07:51 PM.

#12 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

stevew, i justl ooked up your mobo and it seems we have different chipsets =(. If my onboard SATA isn't compatible what is a good pci card for the hitachi 78FK?

#13 stevew

stevew

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(Muaar @ Mar 14 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post

stevew, i justl ooked up your mobo and it seems we have different chipsets =(. If my onboard SATA isn't compatible what is a good pci card for the hitachi 78FK?

I don't know. While it's good to be cautious and prepared before undertaking a task of this nature, perhaps you're being just a little too cautious. Unless someone knows about your particular mobo's chipset, there's only one way to find out if the onboard SATA on your mobo will work and allow you to flash your drive. And that's by giving it a try. If it doesn't work, the potential incompatibility of your chipset is not going to fry your 360's drive.

#14 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

At what point will I know? When using slax to get to mode B?

#15 Muaar

Muaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

I popped it open and I do indeed have the 78FK.

I got everything downloaded, ect and burnt my slax cd to get it into mode b. I followed the Textbook and video guide, but the problem I'm getting is when I boot into slax 2. (I'm using the one from 360mods.net called "pSlax21.rar".

My computer recognizes the drive in the post screen "LG something-or-other" but when I boot into slax it gives me tons of errors mostly containing "COMRESET failed (device not ready) and "port slow to respond". I'm not sure if the exact errors will help but I get past them all (takes 1-3 minutes) and it says "linux live end, starting the linux distribution" at which point I get some normal config looking lines and then I finally get into the Slax login screen.

This is where my drive SHOULD be in mode b, but when I press eject (if in b it should take 2 presses to eject) it does nothing but blink the light. I can press it multiple times and it will not eject until I exit and reset it.

Any ideas? I would figure my chipset isn't compatible (onboard sis964) but i was told that it is compatible.

Thanks again,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users