X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Interesting Stuff
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

Yeah man, you read it right. I played star fox until i beat it with this thing today. i ripped apart my snes controller, clipped out the IC, and soldered wires to the important traces. then i soldered the other end of those wires to the traces of an xbox controller. i have all buttons and directions functioning, with the SNES d-pad wired to the xbox d-pad, BAXY wired to the xbox's BAXY, and the shoulder buttons wired to the white and black buttons. I can even use it in XBMC. Oh, pics, right.

The SNES controller's new wiring:
IPB Image

The wiring on the mad catz controller:
IPB Image

The whole setup:
IPB Image

Eventually i plan on putting the xbox controller board in a project case, adding a 9, 15 and 25 pin connector to it, for hooking in more things, like the controllers for the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, NeoGeo AES, and a custom arcade panel i will try to make this summer. My idea is, if it uses x-pin connectors, it'll work (except for genesis 6 button AFAIK) If anyone's game, i might make and sell a few xbox controller boxes(need to figure out a name for it) along with a modded SNES controller for 30$ USD. Now, it's time for the feedback!

#2 polarz

polarz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

Very nice!! cool.gif

#3 edmunds

edmunds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Nice Idea

Looks pretty simple too, I might give it a try

#4 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Nice work! I'd be interested in purchasing one if you decide to go ahead with your plan to produce a few of them.

#5 Jake_Biggs

Jake_Biggs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 15 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post

Nice work! I'd be interested in purchasing one if you decide to go ahead with your plan to produce a few of them.

That's what i wanna hear! I do plan on making a few of these, now that i know there's interest. So, i just thought of how these will be priced, and a list of features. Assuming i can buy xbox controllers for 15 bucks apiece used, along with 10 bucks in parts, and make 20 bucks profit, i'd sell the adapter unit for 45 bucks. sorry bout that earlier price, but i wasnt thinking too much about making cash on my end. i'll have to call my local pawn shop to see if they sell xpads cheaper. I will sell the modded snes controllers for 15, and i am trying to figure out a way to keep them useable with a SNES, by taking the advanced circuitry from the snes controller, and wiring it up in a box so that the snes controllers can be used on a snes again. anywho, a list of planned features.

Will have a DB9, DB15, and DB25 pin connector for hooking in commercial pads and custom ones as well, provided they use one of the DB connectors. I will include pinouts with each adapter box.

Known to work:
rewired snes controllers

Will hopefully support through plug-n-play:
Sega Genesis 3 button
Atari 2600
Amiga joysticks(IDK much about them, just know theyve been used on xpads)
NeoGeo AES controllers and arcade pads
Custom built arcade panels, with the appropriate connector.

What wont work easily:
N64
PS1-2-3
xbox360
GC-Wii
Dreamcast

If there are others that ppl want me to look into, i'll research them to the best of my knowledge. I do know that N64 controllers will not be a likely one to intergrate, as the a-stick in most models is optical, meaning i can't do anything without some type of data interpreter. i think there is an adapter out there already for playstation controllers. gamecube=not.

I hope that pricing doesnt discourage anyone, considering it has 6+ adapters in one.

#6 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

Well,

If you can ship internationally, maybe I am interested too...
But I can pay only through PayPal.

Cheers!
C.

#7 micbic

micbic

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

Sweet, im definitely interested. I live in Australia though but i am willing to pay the shipping. afaik people have been asking for this for years but noone seemed to want to do it. Good work smile.gif

#8 Jake_Biggs

Jake_Biggs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

i'll ship international, just as long as you can pay for it. wink.gif I haven't figured out a way to receive payment yet, i still need to look into paypal. I also forgot to mention i can hack NES controllers to work with this too, in theory. i just now got mednafuen-x on my box, and saw the need for the NES pads to waltz in. thanks for the feedback guys, lets me know im not so worthless. biggrin.gif

Edited by Jake_Biggs, 16 March 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#9 hargle

hargle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Just to keep all these links together for future viewers, this page may also be useful:

http://forums.xbox-s...hp/t510168.html

It would be kinda cool to stash the hacked up xbox controller inside the actual xbox (instead of a project box) and then add ports to the side or back (or maybe port 3 or 4), so that you could physically just take an oldskool gamepad and plug it straight into your xbox. As long as you can configure the emulators to use the controller on port 3 or 4 to be mapped to player 1.

#10 Jake_Biggs

Jake_Biggs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Thanks hargle, that reminded me to look into Saturn controllers as well, but seeing that there is no saturn emu for xbox, i dont see much of a purpose. Also, i noticed pimpmaul was rewiring atari 2600 controllers to make this work. with the adapter box im working on, you wont need to have atari 2600 controllers rewired. I'm currently looking for pinouts on some controllers, to get a better idea of how many connectors i'll need.

I've learned that with the genesis 3 button, there is a chip inside that provides the B,C and start buttons, meaning i wont be able to provide plug n' play support. I think i can however remove the IC from a genesis controller, wire the controller to make it work, but then, install the chip in a small module so that it would be compatible once again with a genesis. So this means i'll be modding 6 button ones too.

And in other notes, if you would like to buy one of these adapter boxes, if you provide an xbox controller that will knock 10 bucks off the price! And, if you send a controller that has to be rewired, ill rewire it for free assuming it isnt very complicated.(shouldnt be.) but the controller must be compatible with having wires soldered to traces. ive looked at an S-Type, those wont work. ive just read the bigass original pads will work, and, most mad catz ones should work as well. if youre not sure, then send me a pic of the internals of the controller. or, if you do know something bout wires, let me know if there are good-sized traces leading from each button contact. in the mad catz controller i used, there were exposed spots next to each button contact. good for me!

Neo Geo is a blurred area on one site, http://www.gamesx.co...ata/neocont.htm . this site mentions the use of +5v for gamepads and newer-style sticks. but then, on http://www.blackdown...eojoystick.html , there is no mention of this. i will have to get a neo-geo pad for this. if anyone has one, wants to use it with their xbox by purchasing the adapter, i will pay for shipping both ways if you can send either the panel or the joypad.

For the amiga, joypad support looks definite, i'll have to look into support for the paddle if anyone cares for it. this may be an add-on to the atari adapter. later today i plan on posting some concept pictures of this adapter unit, and hopefully releasing a name for it..

Another feature im gonna slap in is an expansion port in the form of a 25-pin connector, that will allow use of every button, analog axis, and rumble motor the xbox has. this port will be used for future small adapters i might make, and will be used for hooking in arcade panels. I plan on making a few Neo-Geo MVS panels this summer, after i make mine and hear that there are ppl who want them.

This is very fun for me and im glad to hear there are people who care. thanks!

#11 Jake_Biggs

Jake_Biggs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

ok, i have a name. I call it "RetroPod". i also made some concept pics, but i cant find anywhere that would allow a 1.23 MB photo. it looks more like a high res magazine ad. i looked into the amiga controllers, they can be supported out of the box as well, and would even work on an atari 2600. does anyone know where i could have this photo hosted? or where i could upload it in a zip file?

#12 micbic

micbic

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

does anyone know where i could have this photo hosted? or where i could upload it in a zip file?

You could just jpeg it and chuck it on photobucket, or you could try megaupload

#13 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(Jake_Biggs @ Mar 16 2007, 04:29 PM) View Post

Thanks hargle, that reminded me to look into Saturn controllers as well, but seeing that there is no saturn emu for xbox, i dont see much of a purpose. (...)

Heresy!
biggrin.gif

The Saturn Pads are the best pads ever!
I love them!

C.

#14 micbic

micbic

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:38 AM

Heresy!
biggrin.gif

The Saturn Pads are the best pads ever!
I love them!

C.

Yeah, i dont care much either way but they are actually very popular, especially for fighting games and the dpad in general

#15 Jake_Biggs

Jake_Biggs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

well whatever ppl, it's yalls cash, and i guess if you want saturn you can have saturn. that was just my bit. ive never used a saturn or personally seen one, so i cant have a good opinion on this. i did convert the phot to jpeg, but it really killed the resolution i worked so hard to acheive. vector graphics own. but, i guess i'll have to post the lower-res in PNG. here:

IPB Image

Note that some of the details are not in stone, like the name. i may add or remove some of the details later.

If anyone with photoshop skills would like to contribute a logo, or a better name, i'd love to see/hear it. the name i need kinda has to point towards the idea of all-in-one. as for a logo, anything that doesnt have game characters cut and pasted all in the BG would work great.

Also, im having a minor problem with all this. you see, im underage, meaning anything like buying or selling stuff over the net is monitored by my parents. i havent talked to my pop about this yet, but my mom wont let me seal up a single box until the legalities of this operation are laid out. she thinks that because im modifiyng mad catz controllers, packing them into a project case, and selling them with a new name, that i might get into trouble. ive said that i would list all legal details on the retropods, but she wont be comforted until she can see facts. Wouldnt it be legal to purchase one controller(which also purchases a license to modify it), modify it, and sell that same controller again? i dont think there's difference between selling the retropods, and selling painted controllers. i would put a label on the box saying something like "Mad Catz Inside" as a legal disclaimer if that were necessary.. i think it wouldnt be legal if i were to replicate mad catz controllers, and then sell them. im not blaming her, im just trying to get the facts needed to disprove this.

Now i just need to earn some cash so i can get the first pod out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users