X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

I'm trying to edit the graffiti files from Jet Set Radio Future so I can use my own logos etc.

I thought I had solved the problem when I found some files with a .grf extension.
I looked at them with a hex editor and found out they were .tga files.
I edited them in Photoshop, saved and FTP'd them back to the XBOX.

The game loaded fine and I could see my new custom graffiti in the graf menu, but when playing the game all the graffiti returns to the original ones and not my edited ones. damn!

This suggests there are 2 sets of graffiti files, one for in game and one for the graf menu.
I've confirmed this by deleting the grf files from the XBOX and then loading the game.
In game works fine, you can see and spray all the graf, but going to the graf menu the XBOX hangs (Because I deleted the files)

So yeah, there's 2 set of graf files.

Only problem is I can't locate the second set, I'm pretty sure they must be packaged up into 1 file and not 140 individual files like the other set I found.

However, you can create your own graf in the game and save them onto a mem card.
I have found my custom made ones and they are stored as .dat files.
I've tried renaming them to tga, jpg, bmp etc but have had no luck.
There's no obvious clue in the file when looking with a Hex editor, well not to a n00b like me anyway.

So I guess my question is how do I identify the format of this file and how would I go about converting it to another filetype that I can edit.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

#2 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

did you check the X , Y , X folders to see if the game caches this information on the first load ? ..

#3 nadnerb

nadnerb

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Whenever I edited and replaced any files I cleared the X, Y and Z drives before loading the game so it's not loading any cached files unfortunately. sad.gif

#4 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

i just got this game the other day , i haven't played it yet but i will check out the files when i get a sec ..

skinning xbox games is fun , i've made new plane skins for blazing angels , new cloths/balls in Links Golf and a few other games i can't think of atm .. all system link :]

#5 nadnerb

nadnerb

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

Cool, let me know if you find anything.
I asked the same thing here like 2-3 years ago and no one knew anything, I guess it's the same now sad.gif
But hey, I've got some time on my hands right now and wanna try and figure it out if possible.

*edit*
Here's what I've found out so far.

The .tga files that I found and edited are called grf_x_z.grf with x being the graf size(0-4) and z(01-15 etc) being the number of the graf in the game.
They're found in Media/Mark/TEX
But still, these aren't the files we need to edit in game textures, no idea where they are.
The ingame custom made graffiti is found in E:\UDATA\49470018 and then in various folders. These are in .dat format and are not .tga format.

Edited by nadnerb, 20 March 2007 - 11:02 AM.

#6 dcchiz

dcchiz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

I tried this once... the data looked like straight binary data. I'm a noob too so I could be wrong. But I was approaching it from the angle that in the original JSR on the Dreamcast the custom graffiti were JPG files with an extra header, so I'd just patch my JPG with the header data (absolutely no finess to it, by the way) and my jpg went no problem.

I thought that JSRF might be the same, but the TGA data for the in game tags and the custom tag are very different and I couldn't find similarities. I tried patching a TGA header to the custom tag and it froze my game. I stopped there because I couldn't figure it out further. I'm about as noob as it gets.

I hoped this info helped you out.

#7 nadnerb

nadnerb

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I figured the TGA and the DAT files are totally different, they don't work if you swap/rename them either.
I also tried doing it the JSR way and no luck.

sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users