bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Yer I would of posted this over at PS2 Scene but there moving servers. I got a V14 Slim PS2 and I just looked at http://linuxplay.com and they are selling it with just the DVD's and VGA Lead now for 25 biggrin.gif. I already have a PS2 memcard and a spare USB hard drive case.

My PS2 is not moded because PS2 chips look dam hard to solder. So I was wondering if I buy the official kit would it allow me to install it on to a USB hard drive? I have been searching and people say the PS2 is USB 1.1 but I thought they made the PS2 Slim with USB 2.0 ports?

So is the official Linux kit able to boot of a USB Drive?

Yer been searching here and over at PS2Scene not much luck.

Maybe I could do some sort of net boot of Linux as well?

Edited by bucko, 10 April 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#2 jon_jon

jon_jon

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

Linux was originally made to work with the internal HD for v10 or older. Not sure if it'll work with a USB HD. I would ask the place you're buying from before making the investment.

#3 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:36 AM

The original PS2 (non-slim line) had a Linux kit because the original console had a Hdd and Hdd support.

IPB Image

Sony discontinued the hard drive support in the slimline (doesn't have the connections on the back for the adapter) as well as Linux support so I don't think the slim line is capable.

Edited by FCTE, 02 April 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#4 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Ok, so why do they still sell it as just the DVD's and VGA cable? I'm sure I read on PS2Scene someone managed it, but it was just a long task. Any other ideas?

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 9 2007, 12:58 PM) View Post

Ok, so why do they still sell it as just the DVD's and VGA cable? I'm sure I read on PS2Scene someone managed it, but it was just a long task. Any other ideas?

Early early PS2s (v1 Japanese consoles) didn't have a HDD slot so they needed external hard drives most fat PS2s have a hard drive slot... I don't know anything about PS2 Linux but maybe you can install linux to an internal HDD?

and yeah even the slim PS2s have a V1.1 USB port... they didn't really upgrade anything in the console just changed the case. by the time the slim PS2's came out the internals were almost that small already anyway, they basically just did a mobo revision and threw it in a new case.

PS2-Scene isn't all that great IMO, it seems to me like a bitch-fest of chip teams and installers, I've never met anyone over there actually interested in anything other then just making a buck. Asking for help with a chip I got about 20 PMs from installers offering to do it for me, and another 20 from team supporters telling me I should be using their chip instead because of blah blah blah... not 1 person was actually willing to help me help myself... It was actually the reason I started wiki-scene.

#6 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

http://www.i-hacked....nt/view/137/62/

Mmm the installation seems to use FDisk, could that maybe pickup a USB Hard Drive? I'm betting it would be very slow if my PS2Slim is indeed USB 1.1.

I do remember reading that there is a device you can solder to the pads on your PS2Slim model to hook up a hard drive (mainly for HDLoader), could I use that but just for Linux?

*searches more*

Seems I would have to get another MU to, since it would erase my game saves.

Edit, this is what I'm on about, http://www.hdcombo.com/ (hopes it works on V14's, cause it only says V12-V13)., dam I just read part of a review and the points were removed on V14's, which kinda sucks.

Edit again, I guess my ONLY hope is a network boot. I don't have much experience in Linux Network Booting (though I'm quite comforabtle with linux, been using it a good few years).

No, it does not. The slim SCPH-70000 model PlayStation 2 contains no expansion bay or expansion port; consequently there will be no kit released that will work with this model, and the existing HDD cannot be fitted. In theory, it should be possible to configure a Linux kit to network boot on the SCPH-70000 model, if the kit is configured before use on the SCPH-70000. The diskless client project hosted on our website would provide a good resource for configuring this setup.

There was a statement released by Sony which confirms that the hard drive is not supported in the new slimmer PlayStation 2, shortly after the Press Releases and announcements were made. This is also covered in our discussion forums.

http://playstation2-...ojects/diskless

Edited by bucko, 10 April 2007 - 05:08 PM.

#7 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

Any ideas about a NFS Linux boot? Would it be easier if I mod my PS2 for something like BlackRhino PS2Linux?

#8 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

A bit of a bump, I haven't got my PS2 modded yet cause I don't get paid until the 28th, but any ideas. I really don't want to get a phat PS2 with all there Lazar problems. Is a net boot a possibility?

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 22 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post

A bit of a bump, I haven't got my PS2 modded yet cause I don't get paid until the 28th, but any ideas. I really don't want to get a phat PS2 with all there Lazar problems. Is a net boot a possibility?

some of the slim ones have just as many laser problems.

I have a V12 that I've avoided moding because it's laser is notorious for burning out when reading CD-R media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users