1 reply to this topic

#1 Vrtclhykr

Vrtclhykr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

I have a machine here that had the 2.3 FW applied through Toolbox a few weeks ago. The machine was brought back to me after the user started gettting Disc read error. When I got the machine the drive was not spinning at all and the laser was not turning on. I am assuming the laser was not coming on due to the fact that the drive needs to initiate spinning before the laser turns on.
I took the drive apart to check the drive motor for broken parts or wear. Gave the brushes a wipe down and reassembled the drive. It started up right away. Booted original and backups. But as I continued to test the drive you could hear the motor struggling to spin. So disc read errors started showing up but the machine boots at about 80% success.

My determination is that it is the drive motor is dying.
Sound Right?
What steps can I take to prolong the life of this motor?
Does anyone have a motor for sale?

Cheers, VrT

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

You'll see the laser light up before the disc spins since it has to "sense" the disc first.

Does it read any other media fine? CD, DVD or have issues with all of it?

The motor is brushless and as long as it doesn't feel like it's dragging should be fine, and then just a cleaning and relubricating is all it really should need. It's really a part that is odd to have fail and when it does a cleaning is the last thing that will bring it back to life, unless it was just full of crud and couldn't spin. Are you sure you're hearing the motor and not the laser struggling to read the disc? If the laser is failing it has a harder time tracking the disc and will speeed up/down the disc, so that can sound as if the motor is failing. Since it was dead, no laser light at all, it sounds more like a connection was loose and was reseated in the process of cleaning the motor. I'd give the laser a cleaning first, then try a pot tweak on it followed by replacing the laser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users