X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Computers, modding, xbox, guitar, dirt bikes, drums
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

Hello, I'm not sure where to post this so I decided to post it here.

I am wondering how do I get customers and stuff. I want to advertise locally but I am not sure if thats a good thing to do. Is it illegal to do soft mods and install modchips into xboxes? Is it a bad idea to post an ad in a newspaper or buy and sell? How should I get the word out that I do xbox modding without getting into trouble with the law or something. When I wasn't into modding I remember people were wanted to get there consoles modded but they didn't know how and didn't know anyone that could do it. I bet if more people in my city knew I did modding, I could make some money doing it.

Anyone have any good ways to advertise?

#2 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

Don't advertise in the paper. Just bring it to school or something. Assuming you still go to some sort of school tongue.gif .

[EDIT] You will probably attract unwanted attention with the paper.

That's how I got some money, putting XBMC on peoples Xbox's, fixing them, upgrading hdd etc...I'm not a complete whiz by any means but i can fix most the problems...

Edited by capboy210, 23 March 2007 - 01:47 AM.

#3 dan_plus_o

dan_plus_o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Computers, modding, xbox, guitar, dirt bikes, drums
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:52 AM

I'm not in school anymore. Or I was thinking just wait in the game department of some store and then tell all the people that are looking at xbox games that I can mod their xbox. Maybe make some kind of flyer to give to them. I don't really want to give out my phone number to strangers though so I should probably make a new email address and use that on the flyers.

I can do soft mods and I am pretty good with solder. I installed a Duox2 into my 1.4 xbox then I installed it into my 1.6 xbox and I had to rebuild the lpc or whatever it is called. So I did my 1.4 and 1.6 and they both worked the first time I turned the xbox on. I'm sure other chips won't be any different to install although I don't know how to flash the bios on the modchips, but it is probably easy to learn.

#4 Berzerker92

Berzerker92

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Modding? paintball, sports.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:53 AM

yep school is most definetley the best way advertise without attracting attention 2 yourself. im trying tio do the same thing

#5 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

1. Throw parties at your house.
2. Have your xbox running XBMC playing music.
3. Wait for people to ask you about it.

Tested working many times. From there on out its word of mouth. Some of the most powerful and low cost advertising there is. biggrin.gif

note: Don't expect instantaneous results with this. It all takes time.

Edited by spiffyville, 23 March 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#6 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(dan_plus_o @ Mar 22 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post

I'm not in school anymore. Or I was thinking just wait in the game department of some store and then tell all the people that are looking at xbox games that I can mod their xbox. Maybe make some kind of flyer to give to them.

that would probably be considered soliciting and you can be arrested for that. FYI

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(spiffyville @ Mar 23 2007, 02:35 AM) View Post
1. Throw parties at your house.
2. Have your xbox running XBMC playing music.
3. Wait for people to ask you about it.

Tested working many times. From there on out its word of mouth. Some of the most powerful and low cost advertising there is. biggrin.gif
note: Don't expect instantaneous results with this. It all takes time.
You gotta make more than you spend on beverages though. biggrin.gif

#8 buttface96

buttface96

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:03 AM

yeah word of mouth is probably the best way for modding. I usually get 5 or so requests on these for forums for xbox/360 mods. But most come from friends and local people. I also advertise on my site, www.mikes805mods.com

people at my school are dumb as hell when it comes to modding (figures) So it does sometimes get frustrating trying to explain to 10 people what a modchip is and the magical powers it posses.

But I do rack up more $$$ at school because kids have no idea what a good price is, so i can make $10-15 more per box than I do online.

#9 _iffy

_iffy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:26 AM

Your from canada so you can put an add in the paper, something like craigslist, or a tv infomercial.
You can get a "pay as you go" cell phone, so people can call you.

You can't advertise the sale of backups, or the installation of a hacked bios. You can't advertise homebrew apps that were made with XDK.

If you want to stay legitimate and law biding, you can't install a mod chip with a hacked bios. It has to be Cromwell Flashbios or equivalent. You can't install any app that was made with XDK or any dev tool that you don't own.

You can make someone a backup for them if they bring their originals, but that really isn't a good idea.

You can't have in your possession, at home or where-ever, anything described above if you do this.

A good way to mod for people would be to install linux, and flashbios on the second bank. Hint them in the right direction from there.

#10 spiffyville

spiffyville

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Working on the physics behind wingless flight for humans. Slow going so far.
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 23 2007, 05:14 PM) View Post

You gotta make more than you spend on beverages though. biggrin.gif

One word BYOB. Or well acronym actually. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users