Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:44 AM

Well, since my gamecube SPDIF mod is still in the works (trying to find someplace to get the chip without having to buy 80+ pieces...), I picked up a Dreamcast to mess around with. So I'm after one of the rarest accessories available for it (besides the the Dual Sticks for VOOT)...

Anyone know where to pick up a BBA for the dreamcast...? ok, well I know where to get one... Ebay... just interested if anyone on XB-Scene has one they're willing to get rid of... also interested in a coders cable if anyone's got one... don't know if I can even post this in this section as its kinda a buy-sell thing... anyways, I've got Xbox stuff to trade away, or money if anyone is interested... if this is a no-no, mods can close, no hard feelings biggrin.gif

Thanks all!

Edited by Rustmonkey, 26 March 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#2 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

You're right, no discussion on the trade/purchase of that item. People can freely comment on where to find one though.

ebay is one of the few places where you'll constantly find some available. As always, they aren't cheap though.

#3 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the warning and not a closure biggrin.gif

Anyways, I've been pretty unsuccessful at finding a serial cable so I may just end up building one... I've seen some crazy picks of people that have built BBA adapters, but of course there only work with the Linux distros biggrin.gif Cool, nonetheless...

#4 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

Well sir, I can honestly tell you I have been looking for one for years. My cousin who is also a collector does indeed have one, but he refuses to sell it to even his own blood.

I on the other hand do have a set of Twin sticks, only mine are for the Saturn. IMO VO on Saturn was a much better game. I really thought that they kinda ruined it on DC. But you and I are in the same boat still looking for a BBA, not looking to pay $100 for it.

As for the cable I would really suggest building one, it really doesn't look that bad.

#5 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(EverestX @ Mar 26 2007, 01:02 PM) View Post

Well sir, I can honestly tell you I have been looking for one for years. My cousin who is also a collector does indeed have one, but he refuses to sell it to even his own blood.

I on the other hand do have a set of Twin sticks, only mine are for the Saturn. IMO VO on Saturn was a much better game. I really thought that they kinda ruined it on DC. But you and I are in the same boat still looking for a BBA, not looking to pay $100 for it.

As for the cable I would really suggest building one, it really doesn't look that bad.

Yeah, building one will probabley be cake... I was just looking for a complete package instead of hunting for parts... I probabley have most of the parts required anyways... but, hey time is money, or something...

I actually haven't even gotten a chance to play VOOT on either system, but I'm sure I will eventually... whats the Saturn one have that isn't in the Dreamcast version??

You could always "replace" your cousin's console with your own (that is if he has the BBA hooked up to it)... hehe

Laterz.

#6 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

BBA are the hardest things to find ever, here in the UK, there mainly in JAP/USA. So rare in UK, i would like one for my dreamcast, since I don't use it much now, would be cool to turn it into an IRC shell or something on Linux.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

Why isn't there a homebrew BBA guide anywhere?
It should be 8 wires, not too hard, right?

#8 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

That is a joke right?

#9 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(throwingks @ Mar 28 2007, 03:38 PM) View Post

Why isn't there a homebrew BBA guide anywhere?
It should be 8 wires, not too hard, right?

Well, you'd need the correct interface chip first of all... to be able to communicate with the Dreamcast via the bus...

#10 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Mar 26 2007, 04:42 PM) View Post

I actually haven't even gotten a chance to play VOOT on either system, but I'm sure I will eventually... whats the Saturn one have that isn't in the Dreamcast version??

Well to be honest, VO on the Saturn was way better with the Saturn controller, and no so great what so ever on the DC controller. That's mainly the problem, for someone with Dual Twin stick's then I imagine it wouldn't have such a ruined feel.

Also, To me on the DC version they sacrificed the game play and the intensity for Graphics. However, the DC version has more options, and some things you can configure with your character, but the majority of that could be changed in the NetLink Edition of VO on Saturn. My $.02.

#11 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

I have been searching and the only thing I have found out, is that the firmware is proprietary and noone can get it off the BBA. Right now all that can be done is connect the Dreamcast modem into your 56K modem and then trick your PC into answering the phone call from the Dreamcast.

Here is a guide:
http://consolevision...mbers/mterlouw/

The connection will be capped at 33.6 because that is all the 56K modems allow for upload speed.

#12 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

Good luck finding a BBA

back in the day when they were still available from Sega.com I had an opportunity to buy a few for $50 a piece I didn't really need one at the time and like an idiot I decided to to wait for the price to come down...

no less then a month later you couldn't find one and if you did you were paying $100+

at this point you'd be lucky if you can find one for less then $200 dry.gif

I used to have some PC application that would allow you to connect the DC modem to your PC and connect to the servers as if you were using a BBA... I'll have to see if I still have the disc floating around.

I recently picked up a copy of Virtual On Netlink Edition to complete my Saturn Netlink Collection (yes I even have Daytona Netlink... though it's in rough shape... no none of them are for sale). Netlink adapters are fairly cheap but most of the games are skyrocketing in value.

I also used to have a set of 4 Agetec Dreamcast joysticks... I bought them for $10 a piece whenever I saw them on discount racks at EB or Gamestop, only ever used one of them and resold them all on eBay for about $150 a piece a few years later biggrin.gif

As for coders cable, I have one somewhere, I used to rip my own DC games with it (painfully slow). I even have a cable to connect VMUs directly to your PC through the serial port.... neither are for sale, you'd be better off just building your own, they're not all that difficult to do.

What I'd love to do is get a hold of a BBA and reverse engineer it. you could make a killing dropping them into modem cases and hocking them on eBay ph34r.gif

#13 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, they're typically going for 100+ on ebay... so thats a little beyond what I'll pay for something I'll really never use... but hey, at least we know they're available...

#14 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

here's the technique for connecting to broadband using the DC's Modem http://dreamcast.onl...s_pcdcwin98.php

it's complex but it works....

I'd really like to know if there is some sort of stand alone device that would work with that.

#15 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

It's too bad, as far as I know even if you were to get connected with this what do you connect to? Unless you play PStar Online... Games like Quake 3, VO, Unreal, Daytona, and Speed devil's are sure something I miss. Almost as much as I miss Sega Channel, and using my netlink for some serious dial-lag action on the Saturn sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users