#1 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 05:38 PM

Ok guys ,

Those of you who use cold cathodes im sure know the issue that light is not diffused accross the entire jewel, only in spots where the cathode is visual picked up by the eyes.

Ive found that if you fost the jewel with medium coarse sandpaper using circular motions that the light is spread across a much larger area of the jewel and minimises light spots.

Another handy bonus is that it also hides the innerds of the xbox when it is switched off, after all the top of the dvd and HDD arn't exactly pretty, and coloured paper sucks.

I also realise that a small amount of light will be lost due to refraction, but its not alot. The cathodes are so bright they still give a fantastic effect with a frosted jewel, in fact even better.

Has anyone else found this?

Thanks

Daz

p.s. any questions you can find me at #xbins4newbies as |Dazman|

#2 jopo

jopo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 May 2003 - 05:59 PM

AS soon as i can find a store that carries cold cathodes then will take out my jewel and and try this.

#3 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:03 PM

There are tons out there man,

in almost every omputer mod store, i had mine airmailed from the US to the UK though as its "special".

check out usual comp supply stores.

Daz smile.gif

Also you'll find that the red cathodes are much brighter than its counterpart colours, somthing to bare in mind while choosing colour scheme for case smile.gif

#4 Senates684

Senates684

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:06 PM

Ill try that daz...good idea

#5 TymeRogue

TymeRogue

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:09 PM

Dazman,

How did you rig up the power for your cathode?

And did you "frost" the inside, outside, or both?

#6 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:10 PM

The good thing is,

how frosted is down to you, you've got to make a call on it, the more you frost, the more light is diffused however, a little more is also lost, but even with just a very small amount of frosting ( so little that its unnoticable from far away) will still work wonders for the lighting.( And Using a cathode i dont think any of us have any issues about not enough light smile.gif )

BTW, I rigged up the cathode using the y splitter that came with my cathode, i put my inverter behind the HDD ( had to cut away some of the tray) and layed it on sticky foam to stop nasty vibration noise.

I actually only frosted the underside, as any scratches on the top are not noticable once the underside is frosted ( and it looks nice to have a clear layer over the nice frosting effect)

Thanks Daz

Edited by |Dazman|, 28 May 2003 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Dankbud

Dankbud

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Interests:Sm0k1n Dutch3s!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 May 2003 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (jopo @ May 28 2003, 07:59 PM)
AS soon as i can find a store that carries cold cathodes then will take out my jewel and and try this.

goto http://www.exabytesystems.com/ for CCFL's for mad cheap!

#8 kaioshade

kaioshade

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 May 2003 - 11:46 PM

for frosting i used multiple layers of clear gloss paint. does a wonderful job on the jewel.

#9 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:11 AM

Wow, didn't think of that, interesting though

#10 wing456

wing456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:04 PM

As far as giving the jewel a frosted look, I was in a craft store the other day and I noticed that they have stuff for frosting glass. It comes in a spray can like spray paint and you just spray it on. I can't remember what it was called but I'll check it out tonight if anybody is interested.

#11 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:09 PM

I frosted mine. I just taped off the X and used a sandblaster. Lights it up like a Christmas tree.

#12 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:06 PM

Yeah I've seen the spray stuff in stores, but ya gotta buy that, everybody has sandpaper lying around and it gives a better effect in my opinion.

But i'd be interested to see what the results would look like.

I'm sure most people have frosted there anyways, as who likes looking at a cold cathode through a window, much nicer when consealed.

smile.gif

Daz

#13 kaioshade

kaioshade

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (|Dazman| @ May 30 2003, 09:06 AM)
Yeah I've seen the spray stuff in stores, but ya gotta buy that, everybody has sandpaper lying around and it gives a better effect in my opinion.

But i'd be interested to see what the results would look like.

I'm sure most people have frosted there anyways, as who likes looking at a cold cathode through a window, much nicer when consealed.

smile.gif

Daz

well sandpaper would give too much of a frosted look, which is why i wet for the gloss route. still clear, but not like looking through a glass. actually it gives more of an iced over effect.

#14 |Dazman|

|Dazman|

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:43 AM

well sandpaper would give too much of a frosted look, which is why i wet for the gloss route. still clear, but not like looking through a glass. actually it gives more of an iced over effect.

dude, i didn't wanna flame you, was just saying that sandpaper has been fine for me as it allows alot of control over the dewgree of frosting due to the many different types of paper available, and how much you do it.

#15 kaioshade

kaioshade

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (|Dazman| @ May 31 2003, 03:43 AM)

dude, i didn't wanna flame you, was just saying that sandpaper has been fine for me as it allows alot of control over the dewgree of frosting due to the many different types of paper available, and how much you do it.

i didnt consider you flaming me. i just explained why i went the gloss route instead of sandpaper. both methods are just as effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users