• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:03 AM

Taiwan game firms: PS3 unable to surpass Xbox 360 until mid-2008
Posted by XanTium | March 27 00:03 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From digitimes.com:

Viewing that the sales performance of the PlayStation 3 (PS3) has been far short of Sony's original expectations since its launch in November 2006, the PS3 will be unable to surpass the Xbox 360 in terms of global market status until mid-2008 when its games library reaches a sufficient size, and then may reach its peak in 2009, according to Taiwan games developers/operators.

Full Story: digitimes.com

#2 knodi

knodi

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:46 AM

1st it was mid 2007 now its mid 2008 then it will be mid 2009.

#3 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:47 AM

I don't think it'll pass the 360 at all.

#4 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

what if microsoft gets pissed cause their new unhackable system gets hacked wide open, and becomes even easier to mod then XBOX1 mods, so they quit production on it in 2009 and launch the new winblows jetson 720, with the new super unhackable, blahblah blah

thats the thing with Microsoft, if something isnt going to their liking, they toss it and do something different, they can do whatever.

XBOX was the fastest(mainstream) console to die in history launched 2000 R.I.P.2006

XBOX is also the cheapest 800mghtz Linux PC on the market. coincidence? I think not. lol

#5 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(Master Reefed @ Mar 27 2007, 06:36 AM) View Post

what if microsoft gets pissed cause their new unhackable system gets hacked wide open, and becomes even easier to mod then XBOX1 mods, so they quit production on it in 2009 and launch the new winblows jetson 720, with the new super unhackable, blahblah blah

thats the thing with Microsoft, if something isnt going to their liking, they toss it and do something different, they can do whatever.
Your point being...?

XBOX was the fastest(mainstream) console to die in history launched 2000 R.I.P.2006
The Xbox was released to the public in 2001 and 2002.

XBOX is also the cheapest 800mghtz Linux PC on the market. coincidence? I think not. lol
What is a mghtz? Besides, the Xbox has a 733Mhz Pentium 3/Celeron hybrid (it shares some details from both of them). And it isn't the perfect Linux machine. For example, try to get a good fullscreen, non-overscanned picture on your TV with a 1.6 Xbox. Or try to install and use Nvidia's binary video driver for video acceleration.

It still serves me as a Ventrilo speech server, though (version 2.1.2 off course, newer versions just plain suck). smile.gif

Edited by The Zep Man, 27 March 2007 - 06:39 AM.

#6 Skitals

Skitals

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

Just enough time to lose all their exclusives wink.gif

#7 Neoistheone2000

Neoistheone2000

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Skitals @ Mar 27 2007, 02:27 AM) View Post

Just enough time to lose all their exclusives wink.gif

LOL I'm Waiting for Square-Enix to come to the M$ side.

#8 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

since the PS3 is selling so poorly now, what force of nature will increase sales to enable sony to pass MS?

Sony continues to lose exclusives and 360 sales are going to increase again with (1) new HDMI and larger HD and (2) Halo 3. There is really nothing driving the PS3 at all - unless the linux package becomes more powerful and user-friendly...

#9 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, MGS4 will have to be bloody outstanding *and* stay exclusive or Sony is in real trouble.

What other games are coming for the PS3 that are hotly anticipated (not being a smart arse, I actually am interested to know).

I thing sony has up their sleeve is content, they have Sony pictures at their disposal, and Sony music which is something MS doesn't have, but as far as actual games go?

Not that there is much floating my boat for the 360. I'm up for Forza2, Halo3 and errm, maybe mass effect and Jeff Minters Space Giraffe or whatever it is called, but there hasn't really been anything that has screamed 'next gen' in the same way that Ridge Racer1 and Tekken did on the original playstation.
You played those two games and you knew that your Sega Megadrive or SNES was history.

It was a huge leap forward and the PS2 and Dreamcast were as well, playing Soul Edge on the Dreamcast and I knew my PS1 was going into retirement.
But what is there on the 360 or PS3 that just makes you go Holy F*&* Batman?

Motorstorm is nice, but repetitive and no online and no gamer achievements. GoW was very cool, but linear and repetitive (run, cover, shoot, run cover shoot), Takedown is awesome fun, but via VGA on the XBOX1 it feels almost identical, you get the feeling that a lot of 360 titles could have been done on the XBOX1 just not quite as deep or pretty.

I wish MS or Sony had had the balls to go truly next gen with dual outputs for side by side gaming on the one console, or *something* that was truly new...

I enjoy the 360, but it really just feels like I put a new GFX card in my xbox1 rather than a true leap to a new platform.

#10 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

I feel like this guy

#11 Techmaster

Techmaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

LMAO they actually said "surpass"... Sony really bit off more than they can chew with the PS3.

#12 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(dokworm @ Mar 27 2007, 01:26 PM) View Post

But what is there on the 360 or PS3 that just makes you go Holy F*&* Batman?

I dunno, GoW and RfoM spring to mind. TD unlimited is just beautiful and Oblivion just makes you want to play it forever.

I think the graphical leaps will get smaller and smaller, with computer AI getting bigger and bigger. Personally it's not all about the graphics - gameplay is always more important.

I have a suspicion that MGS4 will not be exclusive - we'll just have to wait and see on that.

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Master Reefed @ Mar 27 2007, 01:36 AM) View Post

At their heart MS doesn't care if the system is hacked or not, as long as they're still making a profit on it they'll keep doing it. The Xbox 1 was dropped because it was loosing money instead of making it. The Xbox 360 is making them money.

if it's hacked wide open tomorrow they'll keep making it, so long as they're still turning a profit.

No it wasn't.
The Sega Saturn was launched in 1995 and support ended in 1998 (3 years)
The Sega Dreamcast was launched in 1999 and support ended in 2001 (2 years)

The Xbox was launched in 2001 and support hasn't ended yet (production has but support has not) even if it did end in 2006 that's still 4 years of support and still not even close to the shortest lifespan.

1. The Xbox is 733MHz not 800
2. it's MHz not mghtz
3. it's debatable as to whether or not it's the cheapest linux PC. the MSN TV systems do well in that category as well as a number of other small box hackable systems.
4. The fact that Linux was on the Xbox had absolutely NOTHING to do with it's discontinuance. If you need proof the similarly cheap MSN TV systems are owned by MS, hacked before the Xbox 1 was and are still in production today... Why? because they're profitable. The only reason production of the Xbox 1 was stopped was because it wasn't profitable to continue production.

#14 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

It's quite clear to me that these analysts are assuming the 360 game library will have nothing new and significant over the next year.

Sure Sony's PS3 game library will get better on into mid-2008 but most all of their A-list titles are coming to the 360 during that same time, too. Not to mention MS has their own blockbusters that will be out by the end of 2007 such as Forza 2 and Halo 3.

So although they're correct to point out the PS3 game library will spur more sales over the next 12 months, so will the 360's. Thus, NO, the PS3 won't pass the 360's global market share. Not even close. If anything, Sony will just be taking a lot of Nintendo's share.

Edited by BasicAir, 27 March 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#15 ProChief CXVII

ProChief CXVII

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Modding, and sports, basicly
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

ehhh, sony acts like they have something up there sleve...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users