10 replies to this topic

#1 BorisLugosi

BorisLugosi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

Hey everybody,

I've been trying to get my NME installed to a Samsung for two days now.

Today, I did a test boot and heard a pop. I went back in and where I had soldered B to the cap, I had gotten both sides. After correcting that, by de-soldering the cap and connecting B to GND, I got the system to boot, but it says "Opening" on the disc tray on bottom of the screen and my console acts like it's trying to open the tray constantly. Additionally, I, of course, can not open the tray.

Does anyone know what causes this specifically? I've checked my wires and everything looks good, but if someone knows specifically what causes this, that may help me focus. Do you think that pop was a terminal short?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I tried a search and most of the topic titles are useless.

Thanks!

#2 BorisLugosi

BorisLugosi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:37 AM

I didn't see an "edit" button?

I just wanted to add that my drive is spinning when I power on the system. And if I hit the eject button the status changes momentarily from "Opening" to "Closing". I saw one other person with this same problem and they said they didn't have their power in well enough.
Have I damaged my power connection?

#3 KrayzieVanh

KrayzieVanh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

That pop you heard was probably a short. Try disabling the chip by removing the +5v. The drive should boot up like normal. If not you may have a problem.

#4 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:09 AM

hearing POPS are *bad*. you blew something. beit on the chip or on the drive motherboard.

but you blew something.... remove the chip COMPETELY test the drive. If it works... .count your blessings.
Try the chip again...and for god sakes.. DOUBLE CHECK everything before adding power. if you dont have a multimeter to test for continuity/shorts .... get one.

#5 BorisLugosi

BorisLugosi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, my next step was desoldering the chip. I'll do that today after work. I just wanted to start asking questions before I screwed up any more. I hope I haven't bricked my drive. sad.gif

In the case that I've just burned up the eject function, can anyone point me to a good guide for dumping my firmware? I know this isn't exactly the forum for that, but I figured I'd ask while I had your ear. I have no idea how to do it, and I've obviously come into this grossly unprepared. If I'm going to have to replace the drive I'll need to, hopefully, get my firmware and cd key extracted. I didn't even know there was a cd key til I started reading more on here. D'oh.

Thanks for your help so far, and ydgmms, you wrote an excellent chip install guide. Thanks for that, it was a hell of a lot better than Team Underdog's, which I am partially blaming for all this happy.gif . After desoldering several of their points and using yours, I at least got the system running instead of the E65 error. I think this happened from me trying to solder the B to that tiny cap they suggest. What does that cap do, anway?

#6 getchevyn

getchevyn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

I like to add, "Team underdogs suggestion about soldering to that cap is the most stupid thing I can imagine." That cap is sooo tiny. There are serveral places that can be solder to, "like" the GND that is less than 2 mm away.

#7 BorisLugosi

BorisLugosi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(getchevyn @ Mar 29 2007, 05:03 AM) View Post

I like to add, "Team underdogs suggestion about soldering to that cap is the most stupid thing I can imagine." That cap is sooo tiny. There are serveral places that can be solder to, "like" the GND that is less than 2 mm away.

Yeah, no kidding. I was like, "Well, there must be a reason they want it here instead of the GND."
Lesson learned the hard way kids, killed my DVD drive. I'll try to fix it soon soon, I've replaced the whole xbox in the meantime.

Thanks for your help anyways!

#8 Ysidro

Ysidro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:01 AM

One thing I noticed about these Nme 360 chips.
If you install it, but it doesnt work and remove it. the whole drive is now dead.
how pityful

#9 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(Ysidro @ Apr 3 2007, 12:08 AM) View Post

One thing I noticed about these Nme 360 chips.
If you install it, but it doesnt work and remove it. the whole drive is now dead.
how pityful

such a blatent lie.

I've installed and removd numerous chips.... no problems what so ever. If the drive no longer works after removal..its not the chip. Its the user and his poor installation.

#10 Pepsi_Man0077

Pepsi_Man0077

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:swimming competatively, and fucking.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Apr 2 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post

such a blatent lie.

I've installed and removd numerous chips.... no problems what so ever. If the drive no longer works after removal..its not the chip. Its the user and his poor installation.

yeah, that is a lie. I installed my ship yesterday, but i did something wrong andd got error 64. so then i uninstalled the chip. And bam it fixed the error code. i almost shit myself when i saw the error code for the first time though. After that i reinstalled all wires. and it worked fine.

#11 LIVE Prophet

LIVE Prophet

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

Yea if it doesnt work, its because you ruined it yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users