jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

Yup, my Saturn has done pissed me off enough that I am ready to get a new vehicle. I am bagging any project/performance vehicles as my first priority is to find a reliable daily commuter. I am looking at newer vehicles with a pricetag of under $10K with under 70K miles (keep in mind I live out west where things are more spread out). I WILL NOT be buying a domestic vehicle, nor will I be buying a Mazda. I don't care what anyone says.

I have been looking at the following:

Honda Civic
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Sentra
Subaru Impreza
Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Solaris

The most promising things that I seem to be able to find on a regular basis are late model Nissan Sentras with low mileage. I even managed to find an '03 SE-R Spec V with 63K miles in my area and it is within my price range. I am sorely tempted but I will play it cool while I explore all of my options.

Anyways, beyond the guidelines that I have suggested above, does anyone have any other recommendations?

#2 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

id say a civic. they last, well, forever. over 250,000 miles. if you get one that has been maintained. oil changed regularly, tires rotated, etc. etc .etc. plus they have good gas mileage, and have some quickness stock.

Edited by CJLee89, 28 March 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#3 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

Nissans are pretty good as well.
My 1989 240SX went 211,000 miles before the engine threw a rod.
Soon after replacing the engine. . . the tranny sprung a leak though.
Car still runs (if you refill the tranny fluid every few days). blink.gif

211,000 miles is quite a lot more than many newer cars will ever reach. You definitely won't see very many daewoos getting that mileage. jester.gif

I'd go with an Altima. I rented a 2006 Altima a few weeks ago and it felt pretty good.

Edited by Alex548, 28 March 2007 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Mar 28 2007, 08:04 AM) View Post

Honda Civic
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Sentra
Toyota Camry

Off your list those are the only ones I'd consider.
And the Sentra is questionable to me. To me It's
1. Civic
2. Camry
3. Maxima
5. Sentra

Aside from that I'd consider newer Hyudai Elantras. They're not as glamorous, but if you look at reviews and ratings the Hyundais are now right there. They're far more reliable than you'd think, but you can still find them cheaper and theregore maybe newer and with less miles in your price range. Other than that I've seen very good reviews on the newer Grand Prix. And I'd also say Mazda 3. (Not a rotary.... ALOT different) But you don't want to hear that wink.gif

Accord/Prelude if you find a decent deal, tho theyd prob be more expensive than similar Civics

The one Caveat to my list is this. I hlped my ex buy her Camry. (Nice car for the money) We looked at the list I listed roughly. ALOT of Civics have been driven by HS kids and abused. FAR too many. And you need to be careful with them, that they havent been being driven by "boy racers" & fucked em up.

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

Yup, that is why I have almost ruled out Honda. As soon as I see all of the listings for "Tricked Out" or Altezza Lights my idiot alarm/car beat to shit alarm goes off. As for the Hyundai I know they have been getting better reviews as of late but I am very weary of them considering the company's history. The other problem is that the primary Hyundai dealer has a bunch of greasy slimeballs working for them. So I would really prefer to avoid them at all costs. The thing that concerns me about the Mazda 3s is that Mazdas are notorious for electrical problems. Keep in mind I am looking for a vehicle to last here. Are there any longevity studies on the Mazda 3s? Anyways, the only reason why I am seriously considering the Sentra is that they seem to be the most common vehicle that meets my criteria in my area and that SE-R Spec V is damn tempting. Something about 175HP with 180lbs of torque paired with a 6 speed just makes me feel good all over. wink.gif

#6 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

for what its worth, my 12 year old nissan has done 160000 miles, its never had any major mechanical problems (aside from the usual, oil filter, new clutch etc etc) and i drive it fairly hard.

So yeah, nissans are pretty reliable.

#7 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

got a '95 civic with only 88,000 miles. just turned over 88 thousand the other day. not any major mechanical problems. new water pump and thats about it. needs tires and new struts. but the tires are way over due and those are original struts. you can get a good one if you find one that has been taken care of.

Edited by CJLee89, 29 March 2007 - 07:48 PM.

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, but finding one in my price range with under 70K miles is proving to be difficult. That and sifting through all of the kiddies who beat theirs to crap is difficult to say the least.

#9 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

thats very true. good luck on finding the car you are looking for. smile.gif

#10 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hmm, also found a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with just over 60K for $8600 and the owner is moving and needs to get rid of it fast.

#11 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

well I have a soft side for subaru's especially I think that model 2.5RS

I say get it, but that would be more on the fun side rather then the dependable side. Subarus arent bad but they dont compare to camrys or civics in the long run

#12 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

i don't know.. that boxer design does fairly well. had a subby in my shop not to long ago that had over 600k on the clock, original engine. have seen quite a few of them that were well on their way to 300k as well

they're pretty nice cars, and if i had the occasion to i'd definately snag one up

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:42 AM

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took a look at the SE-R Spec V today and it looks like they will need to replace the struts and do an alignment to it. In addition it looks like the SE-R engines have a very bizarre defect. The Power Valve Screws in the upper intake are too small to handle the job and can sheer off go straight into the piston and destroy the whole engine. Good news is that this defect is relatively cheap and easy to fix and once it is done the motor is solid. Either way, the dealer actually told me that they don't feel comfortable selling me this car given these issues and since they are a "No Haggle" dealership they couldn't do anything for me on the price. Sucks too since this is the first car on my list that I have tested that I actually enjoy driving. Punchy and Powerful as hell for what it is. Every gear has balls (even 5th and 6th gear have some guts). Who knows maybe I will get lucky and they will drop the price on it if it doesn't sell for a while. I will be looking at the Impreza sometime in the next week. Car shopping is damn frustrating.

#14 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Free DirecTV, playing with my XBox, and playing Half-Life and its mods.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 3 2007, 11:49 PM) View Post

Either way, the dealer actually told me that they don't feel comfortable selling me this car given these issues and since they are a "No Haggle" dealership they couldn't do anything for me on the price.

They will all "haggle" the price if you push them enough. I got the Dodge dealer to come down $12,000, toss on the tires I wanted, and install the $1,300 factory NAV unit. Its all about making them think you will walk away. But than, this was a $50,000 truck and not a $8,000 ricer either...

Speaking of such things, whats up with all the ricers? Since domestics are out, why not look to the east? Buy German. They will out last any thing the Japanese will ever build. Plenty of Jettas out there. Quick, handle great, and better on fuel than the ricers too. Get a diesel VW and run BioDiesel in it, you can make it for like 90 per-gallon.

#15 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(rms2001 @ Apr 12 2007, 01:34 PM) View Post

Speaking of such things, whats up with all the ricers? Since domestics are out, why not look to the east? Buy German. They will out last any thing the Japanese will ever build. Plenty of Jettas out there. Quick, handle great, and better on fuel than the ricers too. Get a diesel VW and run BioDiesel in it, you can make it for like 90 per-gallon.

Uh yeah, and you are smoking what? The late model VWs have been plagued with problems. Had a co-worker that had an '05 Passat that was purchased brand new and it had a major electical malfunction within 6 months after it was purchased. About the only VWs that I have heard decent things about (as far as the late models go) are the Golfs. In addition, I don't care what vehicle you purchase or how reliable it is supposed to be, sooner or later they all need parts, and the german vehicles have parts which are horribly expensive (at least in my area anyways). I came very close to purchasing a Saab with low miles but after reading reviews on that particular model and discovering the number of complaints about expensive parts, I backed off. Bottom line is that a Toyota Camry will last just as long as the best made European care provided you take care of it. Even though the SE-R is damn tempting and alot of fun to drive, I have been leaning more towards a corolla or camry simply because they are very durable vehicles if you give them a little TLC.

Edited by jesterrace777, 13 April 2007 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users