feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

I agree about the confusion to some extent. Soccer moms have to be confused when staring at 3 different SKU's wondering which one to buy for Timmy.

Also, I agree MS$ should do something about quality control. I'm on my second 360 already, and I know there are a lot of you out there on 4th, 5th, etc. I agree with those of you that think this should be priority #1, not HDMI.

HOWEVER, mission was accomplished from the MS$ perspective. The "Elite" is ALL OVER THE NEWS. I am sure lots of people are thinking "oh yeah, I wanted to get a 360, I should buy this" right now, and that is what this is all about. They are getting publicity like they are releasing a new console, but it is just a slight change. Marketing genius if you ask me. Sony is probably laughing their arses off, but at the same time saying "why didn't we think of this". sleep.gif

#17 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

^ Hardware changes have been going on for a long time. Slim PS2, NDSLite, Sega CD, etc. Sony has done it, and are probably going to do it this generation also.
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=594964

#18 BIGMANSLIM

BIGMANSLIM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:01 AM

Oh my god that speach just makes me want to shoot something. I work at bestbuy selling computers, and that sounds like exactly what im told to say in order to sell add-ons. That is one of the most standard sales pitches i have ever heard.

#19 TeamDevil

TeamDevil

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Mar 29 2007, 08:34 PM) View Post

Aha, and he forgot to mention they will laughing all the way to the bank while the hardcore fanboys keep buying the same system over and over. I'm all for evolution, but come on let's be reasonable and respectful to the fans that made the console the success it is. Never has a console seen changes like this within the first year and half of coming out. If they would of waited another year I don't think people would be as mad as they are. With the current hardware being so buggy(people on their 3rd or 4th box) they should concentrate on working out the bugs of the first rev. before they introduce a new SKU. It makes current owners feel like beta testers. They basically justified everything they were making fun of Sony doing not even 3 months ago. This isn't a damn PC, so console purchasers when they make the investment of $400+ expect the system will follow how past hardware has been phased in and out. This is too soon!! Major "the mouthpiece" Nelson made the analogy to buying a new car, basically insulting the intelligence of all 360 owners. At least when I buy a new car I can trade my old one in twords the purchase.

Even funnier is they are going to do the same thing to anyone buying an elite. It doesn't have the 65nm chipset, quieter DVD and is using HDMI 1.2.. Even the PS3 is using v1.3.. So wait for the Ultra Elite Mega 360 sometime early next year. But suckers part with their money easily so why not? dry.gif

QUOTE(d-range @ Mar 29 2007, 08:55 PM) View Post

They're going to kill the thing if they keep acting like this. Sure, the HDMI port, bigger HD, and HD-DVD add-on I can understand. These were all unnecessary, unproven and expensive technologies on launch. But now they're going haywire with their model differentiation. If they keep changing the system over and over again (except for form factor improvements) that is going to seriously piss of a lot of consumers. Especially because MS outright refuses to give an indication which upgrades are coming in what timeframe. I'd be pretty pissed off if I bought a 1st-gen Elite version and they'd supersede it with an 'Xbox 360 Ultimate' version with built-in wireless and the 65nm chip within a few months.

Also, this will confuse a lot of people who are not into this tech, maybe buying the wrong version and expecting it to do stuff it cannot do. You'll get so many different versions in time that it's going to be a nightmare: quiet DVD drive yes/no, HDMI yes/no, built-in wireless yes/no, cooler running + more reliable yes/no, big HD yes/no, HD-DVD support yes/no, maybe even Blu-Ray later yes/no, etc.

I totally agree with PerfectGun's post above as well: it's just plain ridiculous MS even has the nerve to act like this, knowing that even the current batches still have reliability issues. Put the friggin 65nm CPU in it, the quiet Benq drive, a fan that makes less noise etc. Then offer a rebate for people who had problems in the past so they can *finally* have a console that will work reliably for the next 5 years or so, without needing an upgrade.

MS should look at Nintendo more if they want to be succesfull. Just sell the frigging console, and if the tech gets outdated, lower the price. Make it an easy buying decision for tech-illiterate people who just want to play games. Try to get more people abord, instead of cramming more shit in the thing and trying to make it a friggin' multimedia hub that does this, and that, and connects to Windows and yaddayadda, but all only if you have the wireless and the big HD and the HDMI (for HDCP) etc... I'm even thinking Sony is on a better track now, at least they don't *need* to update the PS3 during it's entire lifecycle..

Anyway, I'm happy with my 1st-gen 360, lucky to have one that hasn't died (yet). But with MS trying to make a 'multimedia platform' out of the 360, trying to integrate Live! with Vista, trying to keep upgrading it as if it is a PC, trying to sell loads of extra shit that's not included with the thing by default, I'm seriously fearing the worst for the 360 in the long run...

You guys are right on the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users