X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hi everyone,

Ive owned an original xbox since launch and modded it as soon as i was capable to do so. I enjoyed the freedom gained so much that i decided not to buy a 360 until i could do something similar. Ive tried to keep up to date with developments in the modding scene, but have failed to do so.

Recently i decided to try and do some research into what is currently possible with the 360 but have found it really hard to compile all of the information.

What ive found out so far:
  • Game backups are possible through replacing the DVD drive firmware (the nme-360 chip is capable of doing this)
  • It is not yet possible to boot games/software from the hard drive
  • There is not much success in launching unsigned code

Does anyone know of a site that keeps a comprehensive list of the 360 capabilities?
If not, i would be grateful if someone could inform me of the current and future capabilities.

#2 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Your've pretty much listed it.

Some other points.

1. The box will only play games for your region (or region free games) and there is no way to change the region code of your box.

2. You void your warranty with a modification and MS wont fix it even for money. These boxes have a tendancy to fail. So modding for me is a much bigger concern than with the original Xbox.

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

You can run unsigned code on 4532 or 4548 kernel.

Linux is the only decent thing that runs atm, but it can only be run via a King Kong Shader exploit (which needs to be made into a backup from your original) and then it will load Linux.

There was a video of Ubuntu running on a 360 a few days back, that was legit (3 cores means 3 tuxs in bootup, first tux icon was a bit stretched of screen).

Have a loot at this to see about installing linux.

http://www.xbox-scen...pVEVlxmFhzE.php

But you can't downgrade the kernel on updated boxes.

#4 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

so , if its possible to run linux, is that an indication that homebrew won't be far behind ?

or is that not going to happen for a long while?

I just don't want to get too excited over it.

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Tortuga2112 @ Mar 30 2007, 08:08 PM) View Post

so , if its possible to run linux, is that an indication that homebrew won't be far behind ?

or is that not going to happen for a long while?

I just don't want to get too excited over it.

It should be possible, but in order for the hack to be viable and more worth it for hackers to make home brew apps we need to get through the kernel downgrade barrier. It's not looking good because MS blewup an efuse during one of the updates to prevent kernel downgrade. Lets just hope there's another way in, since I believe the efuses are embedded inside the CPU.

#6 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

I saw a post mentioning removal of R6T3 from the mobo under the CPU.

So, just to clarify, If I have a console with the correct kernel I should remove the efuse to prevent the console from upgrading the kernel?

but in doing so, that console won't be able to play newer games that require the update.

if that efuse is removed , does that allow you to change the kernel ? or does it just prevent the console from changing the kernel to a newer one.

Edited by Tortuga2112, 30 March 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#7 MasterCheif

MasterCheif

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

I don't exactly know much about this (as you should know). But it sounds to me that although the kernel cannot be downgraded, someone could create an 'upgrade' that mimics the properties of an official kernel. I'm sure if this is possible it will not be a simple job.

#8 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(MasterCheif @ Mar 30 2007, 10:57 PM) View Post

I don't exactly know much about this (as you should know). But it sounds to me that although the kernel cannot be downgraded, someone could create an 'upgrade' that mimics the properties of an official kernel. I'm sure if this is possible it will not be a simple job.

Your right it cannot be downgraded, but unfortunately the hypervisor prevents any tampering to mimic a kernel.

#9 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Tortuga2112 @ Mar 30 2007, 04:32 PM) View Post

I saw a post mentioning removal of R6T3 from the mobo under the CPU.

So, just to clarify, If I have a console with the correct kernel I should remove the efuse to prevent the console from upgrading the kernel?

but in doing so, that console won't be able to play newer games that require the update.

if that efuse is removed , does that allow you to change the kernel ? or does it just prevent the console from changing the kernel to a newer one.

if you remove the efuse, you can then update to play newer games, then downgrade to run linux. Now downgrading is pretty difficult, and no real reason to do it yet. but removing the resitor will prevent the efuse from blowing. when the efuse blows, you cannot downgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users