#1 oddname

oddname

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:08 AM

I have an issue with my dear PS3 and my Projector,
when hooked up like this:

PS3 > (hdmi) > reciever(sony STR-DA3200es) > (hdmi-dvi) > projector(sharp z2000)

The picutre is displayed, but no PCM, and if I unplug the dvi end from the projector, nice lovely sound, but of course no picture. So.. how do I do to get both the video and audio from hdmi, at the same time?
Seems like it is a hdmi-dvi issue, but the reciver shouldnt care I'd say, since i disabled sound from it to the projector

#2 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(oddname @ Apr 1 2007, 01:44 AM) View Post

I have an issue with my dear PS3 and my Projector,
when hooked up like this:

PS3 > (hdmi) > reciever(sony STR-DA3200es) > (hdmi-dvi) > projector(sharp z2000)

The picutre is displayed, but no PCM, and if I unplug the dvi end from the projector, nice lovely sound, but of course no picture. So.. how do I do to get both the video and audio from hdmi, at the same time?
Seems like it is a hdmi-dvi issue, but the reciver shouldnt care I'd say, since i disabled sound from it to the projector

so let me get this straight. you are running hdmi to your receiver then dvi to your projector. it looks to me like your receiver is acting like a straight through and accepting the hdmi and converting it to dvi (digital video input, hence no audio). Alot of receivers handle the conversion of audio and video differently, and from my experience of working with sony receivers, they are the worst of the major manufacturers. What i would try doing is, put your hdmi in hdmi 2 and then using your dvi out.

what sony tends to do is it will marry all your input 1's together to all your different outputs, which usually say something like monitor out or the like. This worked great back when all you had was composite, s-video, rga, dvi, and component. Of the five, only composite carried audio along with it, so if sony married all input 1's to the composite, s-video, rga, dvi, or component output, you could have multiple types of inputs, but only one video output to your tv and still be able to use analog audio from the composite out, or pcm digital from the coaxial audio out, or fiber optic audio.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, but, basically the reason you're not getting any audio on the receiver with the hdmi in and the dvi out is because the receiver is removing the audio because it recognizes hdmi 1 as an input and dvi as the output, which it married the dvi to all the different video input 1's. So basically Sony didnt have the foresight of recognizing that people might want an hdmi out to a receiver but an dvi to a high resolution monitor.

This also explains the rumors I've heard about the ps3 not supporting both hdmi and fiber optic audio outputs at the same time. Sony apparently thought nobody would want digital audio to a high end receiver along with 1080p to their tv.

I would also like to add that I know this is an extremely old topic but I thought this would be the best place to explain why people may be having audio issues when running products through their receivers.

#3 cobra112dsd

cobra112dsd

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

thats how it works....youre gonna have to buy a new projector hdmi is designed for video and audio so either get a receiver with dvi out or a new projector with hdmi on it.....the hdmi > dvi cable basically shorts out the audio in the connector giving you just the video so you could actually fuck up your receiver depending on the options it has....i have the str-dg1000 and i had the same problem until i got a new projector

#4 j3y q

j3y q

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

can he just hook up his rca cable for he sound or even the optical cable?? ik that the ps3 can run optical and hdmi

#5 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

In theory, he should be able to run hdmi to his receiver for both video and audio, then run dvi to his monitor for video and then run any form of audio output to his monitor that his monitor will support. What I dont understand is why you wouldnt just run the hdmi to the receiver and not worry about getting audio to the monitor.

#6 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

My setup is as follows:

PS3---(HDMI)--->receiver(speakers for audio)---(DVI)--->1080p display for video

My display is HDCP compliant though -- that might be the problem with the OP's setup, because HDMI to the receiver and then DVI to the display should work.

Edited by epsilon72, 01 August 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#7 freesafety13

freesafety13

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

But the new question is, is your receiver hdcp compliant. I figured since it has hdmi inputs it should be hdcp compliant, but perhaps because of circuitry its not capable of carrying that signal and passing it on to the dvi. I honestly dont know and I guess its safe to assume the ps3 doesnt support dvi output does it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users