Photo

Ps3's Quality And Reliability

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: PS3 Quality and Reliability

How long have you had your PS3

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have you had any problems with the unit

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Overall impressions of the PS3's quality and reliablility

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 _iffy

_iffy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Feel free to elaborate on anything you want. More info the better.

#2 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

The only problem I've had with mine is the controller having to re-sync every so often. This results in a few seconds of lost control in your game. It's fairly infrequent, so it's not a huge deal, but it can be annoying depending on what is going on in your game when it does happen. I also don't really see any excuse for it since the 360 doesn't do that and the Wii, which also uses BT, doesn't do it either. I hope it's something they can eventually address via a firmware update and not an issue that can't be resolved due to hardware.

Other than that it seems rock solid. I'd say my initial impression of the durability of the hardware is that it seems like it will be more reliable than the PSX and PS2, both of which had notable hardware issues at launch. So far I've heard of no mass failures or firmware bricks... and given how popular it is to hate on the Sony right now on the internet, if there were any major issues I'm sure they would have been blown up 100x by now and we would all know about them.

#3 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:49 AM

I have had minor freezing of blue ray movies but that is all, my biggest gripe is the ps3's lack of scaling games and dvd's. sad.gif

What i am waiting for are games and i am still waiting and waiting and waiting sleeping.gif

#4 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:40 AM

In what movies did you see some freezing? So far I haven't see that, but I've only watched 4 or 5 BR movies so far.

#5 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:58 AM

It really was minor but my copy of the fifth element froze once. It completely locked the system but upon reboot the movie played all the way thru.

#6 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

I haven't watched that one in BR, hopefully it was just a one-time glitch though.

#7 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:35 AM

I still have the stupid controller sync problem. Other than that the only thing wrong is the lack of good games. Besides the controller thing it seems like a much-better-put-together unit than the 360, which seemed cheap and rushed to me.

#8 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:49 AM

This is gonna sound strange but the only time I seem to have controller-sync issues is when I block line-of-sight from the controller to the console, or when I find myself playing with the controller pointing up. It has never gone out of sync other than in those two senarios. Anyone else notice this, or am I just crazy?

#9 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE(Technitian3 @ Apr 7 2007, 06:56 PM) View Post
This is gonna sound strange but the only time I seem to have controller-sync issues is when I block line-of-sight from the controller to the console, or when I find myself playing with the controller pointing up. It has never gone out of sync other than in those two senarios. Anyone else notice this, or am I just crazy?

If that was true, that would explain my problems - I don't have a L-o-S to my PS3. I don't know why that would be the case though, because it's radio, not IR.

#10 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

I don't know why that would be the case though, because it's radio, not IR.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the only times it has gone out of sync is when I've blocked l-o-s with my knee, when my armchair is turned sideways and the armrest is in the way, or when I've slouched down in the chair with the front of the controller pointed at the roof. Could just be coincidental I guess.

Edited by Technitian3, 08 April 2007 - 07:53 AM.

#11 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

i had ricky bobby freeze on me. i think their bluray playing software is just buggy. but like the other guy, it completely locked my ps3 too and i had to manually reboot.

also, i might be wrong but i don't think the controller issue is addressable via a firmware update. if it was, i think sony would've said something about it by now or at least attempted to fix it.

Edited by spinr34, 16 April 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#12 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

Hmmm... I have yet to have a BR movie freeze on me and I've watched quite a few now via Netflix. How often has this been happening to you guys?

Also, I initially had quite a few problems with the controllers losing their signal. It wasn't all the time or anything, but I could count on it happening maybe once or twice in a 1-2 hour gaming session. But it has been quite a while since that has happened. In fact, I don't think it has happened a single time since the 1.50 update... and has never dropped on me while playing Motorstorm. A few weeks ago I had a group of people over for a birthday party and some of the guys sat around and played Motorstorm for 3-4 hours straight. Not once did anyone complain about the controller dropping the signal. Not sure what all that means, but it is what it is.

#13 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

It has only happened to me once but than again i haven't been using my ps3 very much. As far as the controller sync issue i have been lucky with that. I played thrue resistance twice and dark kingdom once and have only had my controller drop once while playing resistance that I can remember. I guess i just got lucky. biggrin.gif

In terms of reliability i would say it is far superior to the 360. It is way overenginered and seems very solid. I have only heard of very few people having issues. This may be from not that many being in circulation though but there seems to be no 3 lights of death type problem. And that is a good thing.

#14 Cyberz

Cyberz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

Got my 2days ago, (friday) and its gr8!
Only thing is that it makes litle to much noise frome some fan....

my x360 makes less noice with latest firmware.

#15 sevanig

sevanig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

I have a ps3 and a 360, there both great, my 360 s a PAL launch model and has had no problems (touch wood) but my mates got the 3ROD sad.gif
Anyways, I just look at the ps3 and can tell its a high quality machine... later revisions will be flawless.
But I am very impressed with the ps3, and what it holds for the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users