• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#16 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 5 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

Uncle Henrys comes out today and youre not talking about this gem?

http://www.unclehenr.....N#-2136516114

FRESH ORANGE PAINT! Does that come with authentic orange peel too!?!

I'll be ready for Fast and the Furious 4 with that beast

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 5 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

I like the SR20det blacktop myself. But thats personal preference I suppose. I actually like that body style too, so that may be part of it.

If I do get an SR20DET it will definitely be the blacktop, no question there... though I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a RB25DET or at least an RB20DET... 6 cylinders is so much nicer smile.gif

As for the body style. As far as stock 240s go I completely agree that the pop up style looks better, but I'm planning on swaping out the headlights/hood/fenders and front bumper with S15 stuff... IMO the S15 front end with S14 rear end is Dead Sexy
IPB Image

#17 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 6 2007, 01:02 AM) View Post

FRESH ORANGE PAINT! Does that come with authentic orange peel too!?!

I'll be ready for Fast and the Furious 4 with that beast
If I do get an SR20DET it will definitely be the blacktop, no question there... though I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a RB25DET or at least an RB20DET... 6 cylinders is so much nicer smile.gif

As for the body style. As far as stock 240s go I completely agree that the pop up style looks better, but I'm planning on swaping out the headlights/hood/fenders and front bumper with S15 stuff... IMO the S15 front end with S14 rear end is Dead Sexy
IPB Image

I know a guy around here with the RB25DET engine swap. It's a damn quick car. That's for sure. Though repairs are retarded expensive. I can't remember what it was that he broke, but I know the car was up for months over .... a bent valve maybe? Something to the tune of 3 grand? I can't remember the details, but I remember it was an expensive motor to repair.

#18 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

blink.gif d-damn, though I suspect something like a bent valve, no matter what you'd be stuck with a hefty repair bill, not so expensive to replace the valve as it is to fix everything around it that became damaged from the valve bending.

#19 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

www.nicoclub.com

There is a classifieds section in the forum. Feel free to check it out.

#20 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Apr 15 2007, 02:48 AM) View Post

www.nicoclub.com

There is a classifieds section in the forum. Feel free to check it out.

cool thanks... think link is blocked at my work though, so I'll have to wait until tonight to check it out dry.gif

#21 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 5 2007, 07:15 PM) View Post

Anyone have advice on things to check for/look out for when buying a used car car? I've only ever bought 1 used car before (my Toyota pickup) and I had a mechanic friend with me... this time I wont have him to tag along.

things like, makinf sure it's not stolen, making sure it's not a previous insurance write-off, not a chop-shop number, stuff like that is pretty important lol.

Best thing to do would be to find out what their common ailments are, so you can check to see if the one you are interested buying sufferes from any of them.

Check the underside of them for rust on the sideskirts, where it reaches the rear wheel arch, it being a nissan and all.

other standard checks like making sure the clutch is good (put it in 4th, rev her up high, pop the clutch, if shes stalls, clutch is good) are always good to do.

#22 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

good advice, I particularly like that clutch trick smile.gif

#23 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 17 2007, 12:51 PM) View Post

good advice, I particularly like that clutch trick smile.gif

oh yeah and check ALL the electronics.

nissans are notorious for having their electrics fail, i don't mean important stuff like spark plugs, headlights though, just stuff like heater switches etc.

for example my heater only works on the highest setting and led in my rear window demister button doesnt work.

if i had electric windows/mirrors, they probably wouldnt work either laugh.gif

i mean it's not hard stuff to fix but taking the dash apart is always a bit of a nuisance.

Edited by grim_d, 17 April 2007 - 12:54 PM.

#24 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

Opinions?
http://boston.craigs.../316811445.html

I think it looks TOO perfect

There are a lot of inconsistencies too

-Carfax shows a clean history, but it also shows the car as owned by someone in Florida and that the color is Green as of this year (it could have been a repaint but the pics have a red engine bay and door jams)

-The title states that it's an "s15" I would assume they meant an S14 to S15 conversion (aka S14.5) since the S15 was never released in north America and only available as a RHD. However the Front end is definitely not s15 (s15 had tear drop shaped headlights) It looks like the stock style front end from the USA 1997 240 + an aftermarket bumpercover.

-The title states that it has SR20DET with 500hp, despite my skepticism about the advertised power (though the engine bay DOES look like it has quite a few go-fast parts) the listing text says it's a 2.4L ... ok so is it a turbocharged KA24 or a SR20 swap?

Despite the inconsistencies the price is amazing if it is what it says it is.

My guess (hope really) is that it's some local dealership that just doesn't know what it is they have.

I've already shot off an email asking to look at the car.... it can't hurt happy.gif

#25 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

beautiful looking car, as far as the paint and lights go, it could have easily of been a conversion and spray, the paint looks fresh and defo not a stock colour, anybody getting a proper spray would get everyhting done proper (engine bay, jams).

Based on a couple of the cars inb the background of the pictures this could easily be the case, best bet is to conatct.

500bhp, easily possible, but this could be from a dyno, and based on at the crank rather than at the wheels, that's the easiest way to increase bhp laugh.gif

best thing to do is go and check it out.

#26 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

it is now flagged for removal, too good to be true i guess

#27 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Apr 23 2007, 10:43 AM) View Post

it is now flagged for removal, too good to be true i guess

huh.gif Where do you see that it's flagged for removal?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just needed to refresh the page.

... dry.gif damn

Edited by twistedsymphony, 23 April 2007 - 04:51 PM.

#28 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

Smells like a scam. Guess that's why it was pulled from craigslist.
Good luck on your search. Keep us updated on what you find.

#29 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

ok I found what sounds like a great car in Danvers MA... the listing was vague but I called and here's the run down

1995, SE trim, Maroon in color
96K original miles
1 owner - old lady (well, in her 50s, even still it's not some chump kid)
CarFax shows a spotless history

I don't have any pictures but she claims the car is in great shape, it had some surface rust on the rear quarter panel that she had repaired by a body shop a few months back. and the exhaust had been replaced once before.

Also she apparently had Nissan replace the turn signal level 4 times from when she would catch her purse on it and break it off while getting out of the car laugh.gif

Apparently she's selling it because it started overheating last week and she's ready for something new (understandable the thing is 13 years old).

She's taking it in to Nissan today so they can officially diagnose why it's overheating.

Also she's a AAA Plus member and they'll tow up to 100 miles, so if it's still overheating and I like it she can have it towed back to my house where I'll just replace the motor tongue.gif

I plan on checking the electronics for flakeyness and the frame for rust/rot (if the exhaust and rear quarter panels had problems before I figure I better check the underside)

One thing I have a problem with... is she doesn't know jack about the car... I'm curious if it has ABS, an LSD, and if it has the Nissan's Super HICAS. Anyone know where I can check these things... is there something I can look for in the engine bay or some other kind of indicator?

since getting rid of my WRX I really mis having ABS, and I'll probably do more autocrossing then drift racing in this thing so an LSD and the HICAS would be nice to have.

#30 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

1995 means that it wont have HICAS, AFAIK they stopped that in in 94.

If it's an Actual SE model then it might have ABS and an LSD. but they were optional and i think only available to the SE.

So i mean unless she treated herself when she bought it then chances of it having anything you want are unlikely.

Edited by grim_d, 24 April 2007 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users