• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#31 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 24 2007, 09:02 AM) View Post

1995 means that it wont have HICAS, AFAIK they stopped that in in 94.

If it's an Actual SE model then it might have ABS and an LSD. but they were optional and i think only available to the SE.

So i mean unless she treated herself when she bought it then changed of it having anything you want are unlikely.

I wasn't aware that they stopped the HICAS in 94... I know the LSD is a fairly straight forward install but how difficult is it to upgrade to ABS? do you just replace the master cylinder or are there other things involved?

#32 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 24 2007, 02:13 PM) View Post

I wasn't aware that they stopped the HICAS in 94... I know the LSD is a fairly straight forward install but how difficult is it to upgrade to ABS? do you just replace the master cylinder or are there other things involved?

neither was i, but i did a little digging and apparently that is the case, for the 240's anyway, unless it was an SE it probably wouldn't of had it anyway, but it CAN be added if your willing to do the work.

Yeah the LSD is an easy job. itl cost you maybe not even $100 for the diff and the fitting, even less if your a competent welder.

ABS isnt really regarded as an aftermarket upgrade, i mean i hear the modules for these cars run about $700, and i think the whole process of getting it done can run into 4 figures. If you really want ABS i think your gonna have to buy a car that comes with it, however you should do a little digigng on that and see for yourself.

Edited by grim_d, 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM.

#33 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

The profile of the owner would lead me to belive the car was never modded. So basically, if it doesn't have ABS, no LSD will be on it. I can't recall off the top of my head if ABS was a stand-alone option without the LSD though. We used to have the info posted up on the socal 240sx site, but the guy who scanned the info for us has a stick up his but and would not let us reuse it when we had updated the site. But I am quite sure that a non-ABS model will not have the LSD. If you want to check for the LSD, there are a few ways. The best way is to lift the rear end and lock the driveshaft (put it in gear or park if it's an automatic). Then try to rotate one of the rear wheels. If it spins rather freely with the weight of the wheel and tire being the only resistance, then it's an open diff. If it has the VLSD, it will have a lot of resistance to the rotation. You can also look for an orange sticker on the rear diff cover that says Viscous or VLSD or something. The last would be to open the diff cover and physically check for it, but you would need to know what you are looking for.

For adding ABS, probably not worth the trouble as Grim states. If anything, find a wrecked donor and pull all the components you need from it.

If you end up wanting to add an LSD, add an aftermarket unit if your budget allows. I prefer the Torsen/Quaiffe types myself, but they are pricey. 1.5 way clutch LSD would be my second choice, but VLSD is quite acceptable oon a budget. Just make sure you grab the driveshaft from the VLSD equipped 240sx or you might wreck the rear seal of the tranny as the non-LSD 240's have a half inch longer driveshaft. Some people have gotten away with it, but when I had done it years ago, I didn't chance it. 240sx VLSD's are not common though, so in a pinch, you can use one from a J30. You may have to double check which years are compatible. It's been a while sine I looked at the info on this swap but somethig tells me some years weren't compatible in some way. But to consider that the J30 diff has a slightly taller gearing (3.9? vs 4.08).

#34 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 24 2007, 06:26 AM) View Post

Yeah the LSD is an easy job. itl cost you maybe not even $100 for the diff and the fitting, even less if your a competent welder.

Not sure why you would need to weld unless you are shortening the existing driveshaft. I did mine with nothing but wrenches, sockets and a jack.

I should also note that Z32 300ZX normally aspirated diffs are also semi-compatible. They have the same nose length as the non-LSD 240sx diff as the ABS sensors for the 300zx were mounted on the sides as they have 4 channels of ABS vs the 3 channels the 240sx's had. The problem is the side output shafts of the 300ZX uses 5 bolt flanges and require replacement. And these output shafts are no longer available through Nissan unless they were resurrected for the newer RWD nissans. The other problem was that when they were available, they cost about $300 for the pair. But if by some chance you can score a set of these output flanges cheap, and can source a NA 300ZX diff, then this would be another option. Be aware that the stock 240sx output flanges will not work with a VLSD. They will fit, but will not engage the viscous coupling essentially leaving you with an open diff.

#35 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:37 PM) View Post

Not sure why you would need to weld unless you are shortening the existing driveshaft. I did mine with nothing but wrenches, sockets and a jack.

i stand corrected then, i just did a little reading about replacing the diff and that's the impression i got smile.gif

If it's bolt on then happy days!

#36 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

Quick thought on LSD. I think the LSD from the Nissan Pickups is compatible with that of the 240s. I had a buddy who made an offer for mine, for his car. I opted to keep it in my truck.

#37 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

ok So I did a Car Fax and it says that the car IS an SE model biggrin.gif

I suppose if it doesn't have the LSD it would give me an excuse to upgrade to to a nicer electro/mechanical one... I really don't like the viscus diffs, my WRX was all viscus and that's one of the things I hated about it.

#38 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 25 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post

ok So I did a Car Fax and it says that the car IS an SE model biggrin.gif

I suppose if it doesn't have the LSD it would give me an excuse to upgrade to to a nicer electro/mechanical one... I really don't like the viscus diffs, my WRX was all viscus and that's one of the things I hated about it.

go forth and buy!

#39 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm also reconsidering a 240sx in Vermont... it's a black 91SE with an s14 blacktop swap half done.. according to the guy he started the swap and got lost with the wiring harness, it needs the harness done and it comes with a brand new FMIC he originally wanted $3800 but over the last two weeks his price has dropped and it's only $2500 now...

I figure it's worth it just for the motor/FMIC as long as the motor actually works but I need to figure out how to get it back to NH it's 6 hours on the road round trip and not only does my truck not have a hitch I doubt the engine would be up to the task of pulling another car.

I could probably buy that one AND the one in MA. biggrin.gif

#40 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

http://www.unclehenr.....0#-2136492486

#41 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 24 2007, 06:38 PM) View Post

Quick thought on LSD. I think the LSD from the Nissan Pickups is compatible with that of the 240s. I had a buddy who made an offer for mine, for his car. I opted to keep it in my truck.

I believe the smaller nissan pickups (at least some versions) used the R200 Diff, but not the same housing. I don't know of any body on frame truck that doesn't have a solid rear axle. The internals may bolt up, but by the time you pay for the parts and the labor to have the internals put in (I would recommend using someone with experience as an incorrectly shimmed diff can wear prematurely or fail), you'll be well above the cost of finding a used pumpkin that already has a VLSD. I'd probably consider spending a little more dough and getting myself a good mechanical LSD at that level of involvement.

#42 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 25 2007, 05:02 PM) View Post

yeah I saw that one listed on 240sxone.com too the previous owner chimed in and dubbed it a complete rust bucket sad.gif

#43 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

I am so friggin Paranoid right now it's not even funny. blink.gif

ok I've weeded through a lot of junk listing looking for the right car.

There is a guy in Portland with a drop dead beautiful 95 240sx black every last factory option low miles (69K) original paint and not so much as a scratch on it... reasonably priced below book at $5500... the only problem is it's an auto sad.gif

I've put off looking at it trying to find a 5 speed... after looking all sorts of overpriced borderline junkers I called up the guy in Maine and made an appointment to see his car on Sunday (I have family commitments Friday and Saturday), figuring it's too perfect and an auto will just motivate me to do the swap sooner.

This morning I did my daily rounds of searches and what do I find... not one but TWO 240sx's that are essentially EXACTLY what I want.

http://boston.craigs.../322548719.html
^ The exact color I wanted, the front end swap done, sunroof... the interior trim is a little ugly and that spoiler will go but CHRIST it's only $4300!!!! if it's for real I'd take the day off from work tomorrow and drive down there with cash in my hand...

This is where the paranoia comes in... it was listed last night around 6pm and the guy only has an email address.. I've sent him an email but I'm seriously worried someone else will swoop it up ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

The other one:
http://nh.craigslist.../322666351.html

$7000 it's got the factory KA24 motor but the internals are all redone and it's got a turbo... ALSO has the S15 front end swap... no pictures but if it is what he says it is $7K is a steal. I'm not overly worried about this one being picked up as fast considering his location and the lack of pictures but damn if I don't have time to go look at the damn thing sad.gif

I don't want to blow off the guy from Maine but it's not like I can easily stop in Keene, Boston, and Portland in the same day... they're all about 100 miles in opposite directions from where I am...

quite possibly THE WORSE weekend for these cars to pop up... where the hell were they last week dry.gif

GAH!!!!

Edited by twistedsymphony, 02 May 2007 - 01:22 PM.

#44 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

It would appear the 2nd one isn't turbocharged. He has a turbo, but listed it under the uninstalled parts section.

#45 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ May 2 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

It would appear the 2nd one isn't turbocharged. He has a turbo, but listed it under the uninstalled parts section.

ahh i didn't notice that. Even still, free turbo, coil overs and sways too! those are fun to install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users