• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

I had my buddies sammy ms28 drive flashed the other day, tested great played backups w/ no problems. Well he took it home, didnt even connect it to Live, but bought a copy of Guitar Hero 2. Played it and everything worked fantastic. I brought over a couple of perfectly good working backups that I had and play on a daily basis and it came up w/ a unrecognizable disc error. Very worried now and my buddy looking horrified, we said screw it for now and started playing Guitar Hero, well after about 10 minutes in the game jammin out the game froze up. So now im real worried, I brought the copies back to my house and threw them in my box and they worked perfect. Anyone out there having the same problems? I read somewhere today that any game release after Feb will have a security fix on it for a vunerablity that has been exposed by hackers.

Heres the link:
http://gizmodo.com/g...ames-241796.php

Edited by compuguy01, 06 April 2007 - 01:31 AM.

#2 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

The vulnerability is a totally different one. It has NOTHING to do with flashed firmware. The update patches a hole that allows the running of unsigned code throw a hypervisor exploit.
This is why some people have been able to run Linux on their 360s.

I highly, highly doubt this game did ANYTHING at all to your drive.

#3 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Then that would be semi good news, so how would that explain the games work perfectly on my system but dont on his? They were both flashed and tested, I tested his numurous time worked great. His is a ms28 and mine's and ms25 but I doubt that would make a diff. This is just a stretch but we didnt try shutting the system down after playing Guitar Hero then start it back up and play the backups...like I said a stretch but is that possible?

#4 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

I would guess his drive is going bad. Ive seen it happen a couple times with my friends 360s. Ive seen it on flashed and stock systems, launch systems and brand new sytems. Crap ass drives i guess?

#5 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Yes your right cattykid that it is for the Linux hack, but it also says to prevent burned games from being played. Who's to say that the patch on the disc also closes off your DVD drives hacked firmware w/ something when a burned game is trying to play it totally hoses your system. It could be easily done, my buddy can't play any games on his system now, Guitar Hero freezes up at the boot screen, Crackdown freezes both are legit copies. My burned games donít even boot, get a unreadable disc error but they work perfect on my system. His system was working fantastic till he started playing guitar hero. Iím not sure man, maybe it is just a coincidence, but for his system to all of the sudden freeze up right after I tried playing a burned game sounds a little fishy to me. We've tried powering down the system, unplugging it. Im not sure where to go from here man. Maybe I should just have him buy that new xeno Top Gear and re-flash it, what do you think?

Edited by compuguy01, 06 April 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#6 nekkron99

nekkron99

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

I would say it's the drive as well. Guitar Hero doesn't ask for any updates, therefore it's not flashing your drive. Try a pot tweak, or maybe the laser is just crapping out. Why not try flashing it back to orig, and see if the originals work. If they are still giving you trouble, it's probably the laser.

#7 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

I got my buds 360 w/ me now and its even freezing up at the boot screen w/ no disc even in the drive. Also if I let it sit at the OS it freezes. I was able to get a backup of viva piniata to play for a few minutes but then froze up. So maybe it is just a coincedence. But I still wouldnt put it past M$ to be putting rootkits on new games. As alot of people here probably remember Sony did the same thing a while back. Not so sure that its the POTS since its freezing up when theyre is nothing in the drive. Any ideas?? Im gonna keep digging for answers

#8 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

Well I guess its a false alarm w/ Guitar Hero being the problem. I have heard from other souces that they have ran there legit copy of GH2 just fine and was able to play backups. So now im at square one w/ all of this sad.gif Systems freezing up at boot. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by compuguy01, 07 April 2007 - 01:09 AM.

#9 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(compuguy01 @ Apr 7 2007, 02:14 AM) View Post

Well I guess its a false alarm w/ Guitar Hero being the problem. I have heard from other souces that they have ran there legit copy of GH2 just fine and was able to play backups. So now im at square one w/ all of this sad.gif Systems freezing up at boot. Anyone have any ideas?

It may be an overheating problem. Does your friends console stand in a confined space or in a furniture with bad airflow ? Try putting the console on the floor (with no carpet or cloth underneath) without any furniture or things close by and see if it helps. If it doesn't help then I think its the dvd-rom being faulty, try buy a new drive on ebay or similar and replace it (just make sure to transfer the key to the new drive if so).

Edited by Knasen, 09 April 2007 - 10:42 AM.

#10 compuguy01

compuguy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

I tried that and still freezes up right at the boot screen. I even tried booting the system w/ out the dvd drive in it and still get the same result. I too am thinking its a over heating issue, but Im not getting any error codes, red lights or anything so Im not sure what to do.

#11 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

This is typical Xbox Death.... it has nothing to do with any games, its caused by bad solder joints. Try the 3ROL fixes (applying artic silver, towel trick, etc. etc.), if those dont work your mate needs a new box.

#12 Pitbull2k

Pitbull2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

I have the exact same issue with MS25, been working fine after flash for months, bought gh2 and a week later Disc read errors on originals and backups. Theyre totally random. I decided to tweak the pot, it seemed to do the trick after i rediced teh power a bit, but its tarted doing it again soon after. I suspected the overheating issue, but it does it even with the console open. I some how dont trust that damn game.

#13 tonloc79

tonloc79

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:48 AM

Well i was skeptical of the 2 having something to do with eachother but after updating GH2 with the latest patch i have issues. Everytime i turn on the system with GH2 in the drive i get "unreadable disc". All i have to do is just try "play game" and it works fine on the 2nd try. Hopefully it doesnt get worse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users