mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

Tonight I tried to internalize my hardrive, but it just isn't detected by my xbox. I soldered all of the wires in to the mobo properly, but one thing i'm worried about is the way I extended the sata to molex cable. I used wire from an ethernet cable to make the power cable longer. Also to connect the two wires I coated each with solder, put them side by side, and melted the solder. Is this the way it sould be done, or should I twist the wires together? Another thing that could have gone wrong that I was also worrying about was maybe when I screwed the mobo onto the chassy it may have broken the places that I soldered because it is a pretty tight fit under that mothereboard. If anyone could help I would appreciate it cause I have been working on this stupid mod for a while, and if it is something simple that doesn't require me to take the mobo out AGAIN that would be awesome.

Thanks allot, pbskidz.

#2 popballz

popballz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:myself of course
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(mailtime @ Apr 7 2007, 05:07 AM) View Post

Tonight I tried to internalize my hardrive, but it just isn't detected by my xbox. I soldered all of the wires in to the mobo properly, but one thing i'm worried about is the way I extended the sata to molex cable. I used wire from an ethernet cable to make the power cable longer. Also to connect the two wires I coated each with solder, put them side by side, and melted the solder. Is this the way it sould be done, or should I twist the wires together? Another thing that could have gone wrong that I was also worrying about was maybe when I screwed the mobo onto the chassy it may have broken the places that I soldered because it is a pretty tight fit under that mothereboard. If anyone could help I would appreciate it cause I have been working on this stupid mod for a while, and if it is something simple that doesn't require me to take the mobo out AGAIN that would be awesome.

Thanks allot, pbskidz.

that enthernet cable might be too small

and the case might have messed it up but did u put anything on top of it(if more the solder points for the data part are toughing the case thatmight be the problem i would try it with out being in the case) and if u need help there is a tutorial link in my sig.

#3 dbdlowrider

dbdlowrider

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

well first of all i would like to say you get what you pay for. instead of useing ethernet cable witch is mad for signals not power. You should prob try to go buy a real molex cable. And take it all back out and check every thing again. And pretest be for yo put every thing back together and you wont have to work twice as hard. Also you should prob. plan your mods a little bit to me it sounds like you just got up and said i am board lets do this.

#4 mailtime

mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:11 AM

Sorry for double posting something was wrong with my internet so I disabled it while it was loading and then posted again, did'nt know that'd happen.
Your tut was the one I followed popbals, its not in the case its just in the chassy thing. I had allot of throuble connecting those tiny wires to those points, not because they are really small, but because they are so brittle...they just kept falling off. one of the points may have gotten tugged off while i was screwing the mobo onto the chassy, idk. Do you think that ethernet wire isnt riight for extending power cables? I dont think its too small.

QUOTE(dbdlowrider @ Apr 7 2007, 05:14 AM) View Post

well first of all i would like to say you get what you pay for. instead of useing ethernet cable witch is mad for signals not power. You should prob try to go buy a real molex cable. And take it all back out and check every thing again. And pretest be for yo put every thing back together and you wont have to work twice as hard. Also you should prob. plan your mods a little bit to me it sounds like you just got up and said i am board lets do this.

First of all I thought that ethernet cable would work, second I thought that you HAD to screw the mobo into the chassy for it to work because whenever I dont screw it in all the way I get an overheating error. I did plan the mod just like all of me otheres, I just assumed ethernet cable would work sice it worked on my rf board fader.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

No offense, but it sounds like your soldering job isn't really up to spec. Tear it all back down and start from scratch. Ethernet cable is just what most people use because they usually have a lot of it laying around and/or it's easilly accessible. It's not what I would use for something like this though, not to mention soldering onto the bottom points of the board isn't a grand idea unless you're really sure about your soldering skillz and even if ya are soldering onto them with that solid wire is just asking for problems.

The 360 can be ran out of the cage for awhile, or for a good while as long as you keep it cooled off. The reason it overheats in the cage not screwed down tightly is usually because the board screws are tight and the heatsink screws aren't, that pushes up on the heatsinks which will allow it to overheat.

Edited by RDC, 07 April 2007 - 06:26 AM.

#6 mailtime

mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

Yeah no offense taken, Im actually not bad at soldering but when it comes to those points under the mobo, they are wierd. ill take it all off and start over with some 28 or so gauge wire from radio shack tomorrow. I figured out it wasnt the way I extended the wire though, because I twisted the wires together nicely and coated it with solder, but still nothing. Im not convinced that the ethernet wire is the problem thought, I think I need to try again and get those solid wires on there nice and good. If I would have known that I didnt have to screw the mobo in that would save me alot of time, thanks allot for your comments guys, ill post back when I redo it.

#7 mailtime

mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

WOW I found out what the problem was the HARD way. I desoldered the ethernet cables from the 5v source and soldered the molex cable to the 12v psu source (yes I know I am a retard) and BOOM my hdd blew up when I turned my xbox on, smoke shot out of the back of the hdd and it spark and smelled really bad. So I now I know that it wasnt how I soldered it, but the fact that I used ethernet bacle and I should have just used the molex cable straight forward. And now I am short a hdd and will be selling the pieces in the bst, so sad sad.gif its ashame that nice products like these have to be sold to people like me who solder them onto a 12v source, BAD idea...

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:45 PM

@ mailtime & popballz - This is NOT the BST section of the forums or a place to post links to your eBay auctions either, use the BST or PMs for that sort of thing.

Edited by RDC, 07 April 2007 - 11:45 PM.

#9 mailtime

mailtime

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

true... my bad, check your pms popballz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users