9 replies to this topic

#1 Exulus

Exulus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

Ok, im thinking of treating myself to an upgrade biggrin.gif Currently i use XBMC with a standard xbox pad but want to know whats better, the xbox remote or a wireless pad? Obviously they both have pros and cons.

For a start, getting a wireless pad means it can be used for games also. It also doesnt have to have line of sight like a remote has to and im already familiar with the controls for a pad. However, a remote is more intuitive for other people, especially when controlling video. It also seems like the more natural instrument to use for XBMC. What would people suggest? smile.gif

#2 Sydney30

Sydney30

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

I have both, but for using the XBMC the remote is much better..

#3 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

remote, fo sho, 4 life!

1ove

xbmc

biggrin.gif

#4 Exulus

Exulus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

The only thing that confuses me is that it doesnt have very many buttons:

http://www.xboxmedia...Dvdremote1.jpeg

So how does stuff like info, fast skipping, volume control etc work?

#5 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

Wireless pad. Apart from the touch sensitive triggers and the analog sticks for volume/seeking, it is just so much easier not to have to look down to see what button you're pressing.

#6 tracer2009

tracer2009

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

wireless pad, i have logitech one with ea sports logo, off of ebay, less than 25 including postage, well worth it.

agree with last post , volume/seek with the analogue stick is too good a feature to lose by going to remote.

and yeah you don't have to worry about line of sight either.

i have a learning remote and it works great with xbox, but i still use the pad all the time.

#7 Sydney30

Sydney30

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Exulus @ Apr 10 2007, 11:02 PM) View Post

The only thing that confuses me is that it doesnt have very many buttons:

http://www.xboxmedia...Dvdremote1.jpeg

So how does stuff like info, fast skipping, volume control etc work?

It has an info button on the remote.. it also has a fast forward button.. volume up in No 3, volume doen is Key No 6, mute is Key No 9.. works well.. but the game pads is a bit fast when scrolling through screens etc..

Hope that helps..

#8 LycoLoco

LycoLoco

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Obviously you can edit the keymap for the remote to do whatever you want, so if you're inclined to do that, then I'd buy the remote. I almost never use my controller anymore because I set my remote up to do what I want. The 3 and 6 buttons control volume, 9 mutes, and personally I like skipping through a video using up/down for 10 minute jumps, left/right for 30 second jumps, and back for 8 seconds back. It's all about preference, but it's just nice to not have to worry about distance when you're using the remote, so I can be in the kitchen making dinner and still control the music.

#9 J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

If you can find it, get this remote. That is what I use and I love it! It has many more buttons and the wife can figure it out VERY easily. I have one of the other remotes for the bedroom but I hate it. No where near as good.

J_K_M_A_N

#10 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(LycoLoco @ Apr 12 2007, 01:48 AM) View Post

but it's just nice to not have to worry about distance when you're using the remote, so I can be in the kitchen making dinner and still control the music.

Yeah, but you have to worry about line of sight. I often sit outside and control my music with my logitech wireless controller. Distance is no issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users