Photo

What's The Coolest Kind Of Console Hacking?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the coolest kind of console hacking?

What's the coolest kind of console hacking?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 chuckthefuk

chuckthefuk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Ripping off M$ since 1988
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

Homebrew..

Strip down the protection

Run an open endless dream of Roms/MediaCentre/Web Browser/Other applications

#32 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

"Coolest thing about console hacking?"

1. BACKUPS (obviously)
2. HOMEBREW (this is another big reason, primarily speaking XBMC since this plays videos.. and probably emulators)

the rest i overall dont care about.

case moding looks cool etc but it just aint worth shelling out much money to do cause all it's really for is "looking" at nothing more. (basically just braggin crap)

linux... i think is rather pointless to since you can just run that on a pc etc.... i think reason people like that is just something to tinker with and to "see if they can do it" sorta thing more than anything else.

Edited by ThaCrip, 16 April 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#33 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:31 PM

XBMC..... that should have been an option. I love my flashed 360, but with my xbox1 with XBMC inside and a fat harddrive i felt i HAD to mod the rest (spray and design) and make it into an entertainment machine. It stores a shit load of movies and tv shows, games and music, plus its networked to my PC which is networked to everything else. I know the 360 can do some of the stuff, but this was pre-60 (get it....?) and truely gave me a nice machine. But thing i've done with a console ever

(for the record what i did was to remove the dvd drive and add a big harddrive and recase it into a nice slimline pc case, kind of like a dvd player looking thing. But yeah, best thing ever)

Oh, so voted for Homebrew, cos thats what XBMC is...........

#34 kowrip

kowrip

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:LOTS OF STUFF !
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

If backups includes the ability to save/play from the HD, then that takes #1 for me, with #2 being homebrew. If backups just includes disc backups like the firmware hack, then homebrew takes #1 with backups at #2.

#35 TheIrishLad

TheIrishLad

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Ebay, Projectors, Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurial Ventures.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

Definately gotta be the Homebrew, the fact that backups is second speaks volumes...

#36 avatar1976

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:26 AM

Very glad to see that homebrew is winning, Xbox-scene used to be pretty much only about homebrew, backups being acceptable are a perversion created by the fact that MS locked down the 360 so much that now the only thing left to do is to mod the console so it can run pirated games.

One more thing, I've always lived by the motto if you like the game buy it, I think running backups of games is at best a poor excuse to allow rampant piracy of game software.

Edited by avatar1976, 17 April 2007 - 05:33 AM.

#37 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Apr 17 2007, 02:33 PM) View Post

I've always lived by the motto if you like the game buy it

i think a lot of people should adhere to that. i think that you really need a way to be able to protect your investment (backup the games that you do own). however, that spurs on piracy. i think its something that we will have to deal with for a long time to come.

#38 BerT69

BerT69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

Homebrew all the way. Having all my games on the drive is a BIG PLUS....you dont have to mess with disks...but XBMC is the most useful app around. Still use it daily. I just wish it would make it to the 360,,,Im dying to have full HD support. But for now the only reason my OG xbox gets used is Media Center.....ROCKETH!!

#39 TreyTable

TreyTable

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:videogames, Transformers, stickers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'd have to say XBMC + MAME + FBAXXX.

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:33 PM) View Post

One more thing, I've always lived by the motto if you like the game buy it, I think running backups of games is at best a poor excuse to allow rampant piracy of game software.

Yeah, but sometimes games for hire are next to impossible to find in stores. Case in point, Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast for the XBOX. Just found a retail copy of that last week. Sure, I coould have bought the widely available PS2 version, but why? laugh.gif

#40 lifeforce4

lifeforce4

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

I liked having a personal dash but the main thing was backing up disks on the HDD I never liked having to go and change disks or cartrages so mods was a nice thing more like a computer where you dont have to swap all the time. One problem is the piracy that follows it.

LF-4

Edited by lifeforce4, 17 April 2007 - 06:48 PM.

#41 gronned

gronned

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

XBMC is on virtually 24/7, and stands for at least 95% of my xbox usage(that says a lot about XBMC because there are SO many other good things one can do with the xbox).

Considering they don't sell new xboxes here anymore, I'd never sell my xbox for even ~$700(that's where I'd search for old ones). I love watching films and nothing has a better interface and usability than XBMC. The community supports you, and the developers support you, it's just fantastic! But, I'm afraid something has to happen if it won't be able to run 264-videos. If XBMC move to any other system that makes it even better, I'll buy that system for the sole purpose of XBMC. Hands down, I LOVE YOU GUYS!

#42 brauntje

brauntje

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Definitly homebrew, haven't played any games on my xbox 1 for years now, only use it as XBMC. Can't wait till something the same is possible for X360 cool.gif .

#43 gasclown

gasclown

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

Homebrew only really. Like many others, making something do what its not supposed to is great fun.

Doing cool work within the development of homebrew is my favourite hobby.

#44 masked_giraffe

masked_giraffe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Homebrew (XBMC) and then backing up games to the HD, they load so much faster!

#45 metaldevil

metaldevil

Webhead

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

Homebrew. No contest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users