Photo

What's The Coolest Kind Of Console Hacking?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the coolest kind of console hacking?

What's the coolest kind of console hacking?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 emuShelly

emuShelly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

Homebrew! XBMC! My family uses our box all the time to watch TV shows and listen to internet radio!

#62 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Apr 24 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post

Just wish M$ had made the bus on the xbox1 a bit bigger and maybe some more ram and a faster process

well when it was released, it wasnt a bad unit. high def content wasnt on everyones minds back then

#63 SmashManiac

SmashManiac

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Nintendo video games (especially Smash Bros series), programming, maths, hacking.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:25 AM

Homebrew: Modding a console without 'em is useless!
Linux: Ummm... for the same price, buy a used PC instead. At least you'll have a fucking mouse and keyboard!
Backups: Cool, but double-layer DVDs use too much space for now.
Case Mods: Nice, but completely useless. Put 'em in museums or something.
Other/Electrical: Some are useful, but for the work they need, they're not worth it.
I'd rather just play games: Yeah, me too most of the time! But I can't while eating, so instead I'm watching animes with XBMC! tongue.gif

BTW hi-def is totally NOT on everyone's mind. That's just what the industry wants you to believe. Actually I'm against it: give me better games, not better-looking games!

And my favorite homebrew apps in order: XBMC, XBMC, XBMC, XBMC, emus, XBMC, XBMC, ports of PC games, XBMC and XBMC. Special mention for EvoX and UnleashX as system utilities and boot menus - we use them all the time but they don't get the credit they should have.

#64 DrPepperFan15

DrPepperFan15

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

I'll vote for Case Mods! Theres some kickass stuff that can get conjured up in that category

QUOTE(SmashManiac @ Apr 24 2007, 10:32 PM) View Post

Special mention for EvoX and UnleashX as system utilities and boot menus - we use them all the time but they don't get the credit they should have.

Well I'd say technically EVERYTHING in and on a modded Xbox is homebrew because the founding company who made the product didnt develop it and it was the community who made it, thus making it "homebrew"

Also XBMC is proboly my 2nd favorite dash... UnleashX for me happy.gif

Edited by DrPepperFan15, 25 April 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#65 oozingrectum

oozingrectum

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Mmmmm, homebrew.

XBMC, MAMEoX, Neogenesis, Surreal64, Vice64x, Znexbox...

I need to change pants after thinking about all the wonderful emulators. Damn.

#66 webMASTER P

webMASTER P

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

homebrew hands down, pretty much becase of XBMC
my parents and my girlfriend have an xbox with XBMC in their living room. No games ever get played on it, and they were bought / fixed by me only for use with XBMC.

#67 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE(SmashManiac @ Apr 25 2007, 01:32 PM) View Post

Special mention for [] UnleashX as system utilities and boot menus - we use them all the time but they don't get the credit they should have.

UX is the best dash ever in my mind....no questions

#68 Andronicus

Andronicus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Modifying quantium vortex apperatures
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

I said homebrew, but that is only partialy correct. I think seriouse electronics mods are the sweetest. Things like RAM upgrades. I ones did a Ethernet Phy replacement. It was a repair, so not realy a mod, but it was rather cool to do.

The Ultimate mod (IMO) would be a wake on LAN mod. Now that would be too awsom.

#69 parat8t9

parat8t9

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(Silkiwan @ Apr 14 2007, 04:33 PM) View Post

I think they should have ammended "homebrew" to just say "XBMC". I dont mean to disrespect the homebrew scene as a whole, but XBMC is truely the greatest homebrew app that could have been made for the Xbox. Here we are in 2007 and Apple comes at us with the Apple TV... a crippled version of what the XBMC programmers supplied us with years ago (at no charge nonetheless). I originally modded my Xbox for backups and emulators, but now it has a new job as the family media server. All our music and movies backed up in one place, with full remote control functionality (thanks again XBMC guys). So....
voted homebrew

couldn't have said it better myself

#70 mario_ps2

mario_ps2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

Homebrew is number one biggrin.gif for me but backups are veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy important. biggrin.gif

#71 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(mario_ps2 @ Apr 28 2007, 04:17 AM) View Post

Homebrew is number one biggrin.gif for me but backups are veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy important. biggrin.gif
Why?

In my opinion, backups are the least of my concerns. You can always play from the original disc and handle it correctly. Perhaps for slightly faster loading times when you put it on the HDD, but that is a small bonus. Too small when you compare it with programs like Xbox Media Center and all the famous emulators.

Plus, my Xbox is sometimes still used with Linux as a Ventrilo speech server (version 2.1.2, off course... later versions sucked). Keeps the load from my computer. smile.gif

#72 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

Homebrew (XBMC) please biggrin.gif

I think there should be a poll... Which 'hack' is most important to you with these new generation consoles? (Wii/PS3/360)

XBMC, Load Games off HDD, or Emulators?

1)XBMC: For your media needs, divx, x264/h264, etc
2)Load Games off HDD: Being able to copy a game to your console and launching it from the HDD
3)Emulators: Ability to run emulators... i think these newer consoles can handle more MAME/N64 smile.gif

It's a pretty tough choice sad.gif I think I would go with 1) XBMC for the whole media center gui/setup

#73 ksomething

ksomething

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

In the beginning it was for backups but ever since Unleashed X my mind was blown! Now XBMC as a dash is what does it for me. Homebrew for life!

#74 boston

boston

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:46 AM

homebrew all the way! beerchug.gif
I love the homebrew halo maps, that alone for me was worth modding
anyone remember playing the star wars version of blood gulch?? haha that was always my favorite
and it was sweet getting the halo PC maps on my xbox, those were amazing.

#75 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Apr 29 2007, 09:13 AM) View Post

In my opinion, backups are the least of my concerns. You can always play from the original disc and handle it correctly. Perhaps for slightly faster loading times when you put it on the HDD, but that is a small bonus. Too small when you compare it with programs like Xbox Media Center and all the famous emulators.

Ever hear of IGR? That beautiful little feature has saved me getting off my lazy arse too many times to count. Using discs basically makes IGR useless. Thank you whoever invented it.

XBMC and playing games off the hdd are my favourite features, although i do love all the other stuff too. The Xbox has been the most interesting piece of equipment i have ever owned and is still gaining strength everyday.

Thank you to all those people who are smarter than me, who made this all possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users