7 replies to this topic

#1 sTaRsKy

sTaRsKy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:57 AM

I am trying flash a Samsung ms28 drive and am following myfranco's tutorial to a t.I want to make my computer boot from a usb drive. Using Xtreme boot maker V.0.3.6 and doing everything the tutorial tells me to do. When I try to boot from the usb all I get is a flashing cursor and I can't do anything. If anyone has any ideas why then any help would be appreciated.

#2 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

what chipset?

#3 psgarb

psgarb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

hey. I am the originator. Starsky was logged in on my computer so that is why it looks like him.
I have an Intel 1A30 rev 17 chipset on my computer. I know it is old but that shouldn't make a difference would it. Since then I also bought brand new floppy discs and tried that way and I also tried just formating a floppy to an msdos startup disc. All with the same result. I don't understand. I know I am no computer expert but the msdos startup disc should have worked should it not. All I did was format it and try to boot with it just to see if it would work. I didn't even put any of the necessary files on it for flashing my drive. Help pls.

#4 psgarb

psgarb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

any ideas cause I sure don't

#5 sosotiit

sosotiit

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
  • Interests:Techno gadgets and espresso coffee
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:23 AM

you need a via chipset for ms28,
via6421 card seems the easiest option for you

rgds, soso

#6 psgarb

psgarb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

I understand that and I have a sata pci card with via vt6421A chipset on it on the way from ebay. My problem is booting to dos. I can't get my computer to do it. Is it a possibility that dos does not exsist on my computer. I thought that it is satndard for computers and is included with winxp.

#7 banner

banner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

i think what ur problem is is that u need to get ur pc to boot from A drive or bootable storage device

so make a bootable disc via xtreme boot maker, then restart ur pc, keep tapping delete so u load up ur bios then go to boot menu and then select removable or usb which ever relates to ur bootable device ( FLOPPY OR USB PEN) then make sure u have either one of the other selected in one of the other prefs in ur boot up menu..

in my bios i select removable and then i go to another option in boot menu and i see FLOPPY OR USB so i select usb, restart pc, make sure all ide cables etc are disconnected and it should boot from ur floppy or usb

#8 psgarb

psgarb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

I finally got it to work. What I was doing wrong was not unplugging everything else. I just didn't think it was that important. Guess I was wrong. Now I just have to wait for my sata pci card to arrive and then I'm sure I will probably be back on to ask a couple more newbie questions. It won't work with a usb though so I guess I am using a floppy which isn't a big deal except I bought the usb stick just for this. Good to have though I guess. Thanks for the help.

Edited by psgarb, 21 April 2007 - 12:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users