#1 thejt

thejt

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:08 AM

We scored a couple Xbox 360 Elites from wal-mart to day and I have thrown together a quick article about our Elite teardown. For those who want a quick peek inside before you buy take a look at what we found.

The best news so far was a Hitachi GDR-3120L vs the BENQ.

There are other subtle differences to be noted. There is one really funny one that gave us all a great laugh. Check out Microsoft's BGA connection fix biggrin.gif

Inside the Xbox 360 Elite

Edited by thejt, 20 April 2007 - 03:12 AM.

#2 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:52 AM

much appreciated, that comparison of the motherboards is also very helpful (and somewhat hypnotic).

I guess the epoxy is about as close to an admission of guilt as we are going to get and it certainly solidifies motherboard warp as the major contributing factor to these failures.

Only thing we need to establish now is if the quality of the PCB is an improvement. If you can take a closer look at it and see how rigid and thick it is in comparison to the old boards, we might have some idea.

#3 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:00 AM

Wow those motherboards look very different.

#4 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

thanks for the post, they really hit the nail on the head with this package. i was actually waiting for some one to crack one of those bad boys open to see what msft did to back up their claim of the elite running cooler. i was hoping it was something we could apply to our white "legacy" models biggrin.gif i honestly can say i would buy that and sell my 360 premium before i even glanced at the ps3.

#5 Huntsdesk

Huntsdesk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

If any of you were worried about buying the Elite because you thought it might come only with the 79 drive, I just bought one and it had the 78 drive in it. Flashed fine and everything is working. This board is also the new motherboard. Maybe it is the 65nm? Xbox manuf 3-15-2007. Drive manuf Sept 2006. I bought it at Target in Charleston, SC. Hope this helps.

...and surely you guys can find someone to buy my modded 360 prem for $375 to $400. Someone is buying mine for $400.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

this has already been posted on the front page news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users