4 replies to this topic

#1 chum

chum

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Hi Guys,

I've read the tutorial for soldering RCA plugs for component video. I'm just wondering if there is any difference at all between soldering your own plugs and buying a 3rd party component cable. From my point of view, it is easier and cheaper to buy a 3rd party component cable from ebay rather than soldering your own RCA plugs.

Is there any advantage to following the guide? Are the 3rd party cables cheap and nasty and do not offer a clearer output than soldering your own connections?

Edited by chum, 25 April 2007 - 11:08 AM.

#2 INSB_GLOCK

INSB_GLOCK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Xbox all da way
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

what you can do is get some thin 30gauge wire, and install a switch on the back of the xbox, and connect like 5 female rca plugs to the rear of the unit "drill 5 holes in the back and mount them by soldering em or hotglue, then mount the switch underneath it and wire it to the mode select of component, and solder the ports wires to the underside of the board

#3 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

If you just want HD via component, get MS or Monster Cable. Any other brand - you're taking chances.
If you want VGA, make your own cable.

#4 MrFish

MrFish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(chum @ Apr 25 2007, 10:07 AM)  

Hi Guys,

I've read the tutorial for soldering RCA plugs for component video. I'm just wondering if there is any difference at all between soldering your own plugs and buying a 3rd party component cable. From my point of view, it is easier and cheaper to buy a 3rd party component cable from ebay rather than soldering your own RCA plugs.

Is there any advantage to following the guide? Are the 3rd party cables cheap and nasty and do not offer a clearer output than soldering your own connections?

FWIW (this thread shows up on google), the cheap third-party cables on eBay and similar don't use proper co-ax for the video wires, instead using unshielded wires inside a shielded cable. The impedance on such cables is off, you get ghosting if fine bright details such as text and reticles.

If you're in the USA, it's easier and cheaper to buy a Microsoft or Monster Cable cable, but if you're in Europe, such things were never released, and import P&P is extortionate.

Far simpler to solder one yourself: Donor cables are an Xbox1 composite cable, and an Xbox 360 component cable.
Slip a screwdriver or two under the plastic sleeve of the Xbox1 plug and you should be able to slide it back intact. Unclip the metal shield, and desolder the wires, making sure to save the little black mode select wires, and removing as much hot glue as you can.
Disassembly of the 360 wire is similar: crack the plastic plug apart using a screwdriver, then use a screwdriver and soldering iron to prise apart the solder joints in the shielding. Unclip and desolder as before.
If you peel back the insulation on the 360 lead carefully, you should be able to fit the Xbox1 sleeve on and still have enough room to solder. Pinout at http://www.gamesx.co...inouts/xbox.htm .
You can get a TTL S/PDIF* from pin 3 (the one next to audio right gnd if you're using a different pinout); ground for the S/PDIF is the Pin 11/Y ground**: this is a good use for the yellow composite cable, which would otherwise go to waste.

* (which is not a co-ax S/PDIF, because the voltages are different, but most devices won't mind, and you can use it to drive a TOSLINK transmitter like the one you just got from the 360 cable.)
** (Impossible to find on the interweb; to confirm it was the Y ground I had to dismantle an MS Advanced SCART Cable).

Edited by MrFish, 07 July 2010 - 07:07 AM.

#5 Weirdjerz3y

Weirdjerz3y

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

i got a this cable from amazon
and i had it for 1 year, and the 1080i looks great for games that support it.
http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product
The picture makes it look like a crappy cable, but when i got it, it looks like the original ms cable which comes with the Xbox, but good thing about that one is like the Xbox cable, you can choose component, or composite/S-video, really good cable for a few bucks, no problem and quantity is good. it used on a 60inch tv and no problems, really worth it if ur in usa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users