5 replies to this topic

#1 3rdman

3rdman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hello to all!

I've done a search and although this question seems to be asked a lot, I just want to be sure that I handle my paticular problem correctly. So, here's the story...

I used Krazyie's latest softmod on my original Xbox and decided 10 minutes later I needed a bigger hard drive. I bought a lockable Seagate 160GB HDD and ran it through XBXHDM without a problem. (during the iso creation, I made sure to copy over everything from my C and E drives which I then passed onto my new HDD).

I threw it into my Xbox expecting to see the EvoX dash as that is what was running on my old HDD but instead it booted to the MSDash. Fine...I re-ran Splinter Cell (yes, I already threw out the old save and placed a new one in) and ran the exploit to overwrite the existing software (I know...wrong thing to do). It didn't work and ended up with the error of:

FAILURE
Batch process failed.
The last item was: .
Action: rename

I got the same problem if I tried to uninstall it. During the re-installation it would hang at the "choose dashboard" option until I pass FTP'd the original files to the C drive during before hitting enter. It then loaded the EvoX dash and it seemed to be fine...Except I can't boot to the original MS dash and that would suck if I have to reset my clock or audio settings.

After doing some searching on these forums, I decided to delete the entire contents of the C drive and replace it with my backup files with the original dash. It worked great! I can boot to the original dash and look around. Now when I try to install the EvoX dash, I get the same error (Action: rename) and it won't load.

I've done a lot more searching and a lot more reading and it seems that I simply have old mod files on E drive that I have to get rid of or alter before I can install the mod properly. So the question is...would this work: Could I remove all files on C drive and replace with original and latest MSDash and delete everything on E drive except Tdata and Udata and then re-run exploit and EvoX install? Also, would it help to delete everything within the Udata folder as there may be something left in there from the previous install?

I know this question gets asked a lot so I appreciate any response I can get! Thanks!

#2 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Your getting the error cause you didn't backup the eeprom correctly. You need to select backup eeprom in the blue menu, then when it boots to the black menu you need to select "backup eeprom" again (it only really backs it up here, hitting it in the blue menu only redirects you to the black menu). Once you back it up then go back to the installer and try again. And you really should just wipe that drive and make it stock, then put it in the box and it will be stock, then softmod as normal.

#3 3rdman

3rdman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Apr 26 2007, 03:29 PM) View Post

Your getting the error cause you didn't backup the eeprom correctly. You need to select backup eeprom in the blue menu, then when it boots to the black menu you need to select "backup eeprom" again (it only really backs it up here, hitting it in the blue menu only redirects you to the black menu). Once you back it up then go back to the installer and try again. And you really should just wipe that drive and make it stock, then put it in the box and it will be stock, then softmod as normal.

Thank you for answering...I will try backing up the Eeprom at both menus tonight. But I'm unclear about what you mean about wiping out the drive...you're talking about the C drive, right? Is there anything on the E drive that I have to worry about? Thanks again.

#4 cerealkillajme

cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(3rdman @ Apr 26 2007, 08:59 PM) View Post

Thank you for answering...I will try backing up the Eeprom at both menus tonight. But I'm unclear about what you mean about wiping out the drive...you're talking about the C drive, right? Is there anything on the E drive that I have to worry about? Thanks again.

Since it's a new drive you shouldn't have anything on it that you didn't already have backed up to your PC. And when I said format/wipe, do that with XBOXHDM and build the drive as stock (using stock C and E files which can be found in Slayers, AID, or CASH).

Basically the idea is you put the new HDD in your PC, format and build as stock (per above). Then once you have that done and put it back in the xbox it should boot to the stock M$ dash. Then once that has been done you would softmod it from the start like normal. Then once you are booting to UnleashX or EvoX dash, then FTP all your old files over (that you backed up from the stock HDD) and make any changes you want.

We say to build the new drive as stock as it's always a pain in the arse installing the mod and getting everything right using XBOXHDM. Much, much easier to build as stock then mod it and put anything back you want.

Also if you didn't back anything up on the stock HDD, you can just put that in at any time (as long as you haven't unlocked it or didn't mess the files up before you put the new HDD in) and FTP anything you need off of it and put it on your PC, then put the new HDD and you can FTP it from the PC to that HDD.

EDIT: Also, if it's not the eeprom backup that is causing it to fail, it HAS to be the M$ dash files. Those are the only 2 things that will cause it to fail. In that case formating the drive as stock (using XBOXHDM and stock C and E files) and softmodding from scratch will definitely work. wink.gif

Edited by cerealkillajme, 26 April 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#5 3rdman

3rdman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thank you very much for your time! I just got home and booted up my Xbox and decided to give a proper install/uninstall another shot. I first uninstalled the softmod (last time I did this, it caused all kinds of failure) sucessfully...I think the fact that I had already loaded in all the original files had something to do with it.

I then followed your suggestion with the eeprom backup and proceeded to install softmod. Now everything works!!!! I am able to fall back to the MS dash from EvoX!

Thanks very much! I will now try to to make it so that it can boot directly to XBMC...Wish me luck! Thanks again!

#6 3rdman

3rdman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:13 AM

HAHAHAHA...Got it working perfectly!!!

At first I couldn't get the shortcut to work at all from the C partition like it was supposed to be...No matter what I called it, it would simply refuse to work. So I came across another tut that suggest overwriting everything in the E:\Dashboard directory with your XBMC files to boot directly to it...well, I didn't want to do that so instead I dumped the .xbe shortcut to it (called it default.xbe) along with the config file (default.cfg) and presto! ...boot directly to XBMC! I didn't delete the original (of course)...instead I called it default.xbe.old and left it there in case I had to restore.

Everything works! I can boot to the MS Dash anytime...HAHAHAHA!

Thanks again, cerealkillajme!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users