X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:modding and blowing up xboxs
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

Alright so i have been seeing the question "how do i install the iceberq 4 pro" a lot. and lately i have seen a ton of slimboxes so i thought i should just make a tut. lets start.

attention: if you mess up your box doing this mod i do not take any credit for it is your box and your the one installing it.

Step 1:
what i think is the safest and smartest thing to do is make sure your xbox turns on. the reason i say that is because if you dont check and do the mod and the mod works but you get an error code you will instantly think it is the iceberq 4 pros and you will never find the real problem.

Step 2:Getting the stock heatsinks and bracket off
take your mobo out and face it on top.
IPB Image
next, you see that black clip lift it up. you should then feel the heatsink wiggle.
IPB Image
after that take a flathead screwdriver and place it in between the translucent yellow clip and the black bracket.
IPB Image
once its in there push the end of the screw driver away from you and pull up. wiggle the translucent yellow clip around and the heatsink should come off. repeat that same process with the GPU heatsink except the heatsink will really be on there. at this point you need to break out the pliers.
IPB Image
i hope your not planning on selling this heatsink because you need to take the plier and clamp it on one of the heatsink prongs and pull up. with a little force it should come off. keyword here being little.
IPB Image

Step 3: Getting the bracket off
After you have finished step 2 flip over the board and find 5 black plastic clamps that hold the bracket on.
IPB Image
the next few steps can really mess up your board up if your not cautios. so what i recommend is that you put tape around all of the black plastic clamps so that nothing could lift a trace etc.
IPB Image
after you have all the tape on bring out the pliers again and yank off the top of the black plastic clamp, not the full thing.
IPB Image
after you do that flip the board over and look at the other part of the black plastic clamp and take your pliers and pull up on it.
IPB Image
repeat that same process for the other 4.
after you have all of black plastic clamps out take your pliers and pull off the black bracket.
IPB Image

to be continued...

Step 4: Cleaning the CPU and GPU and applying the thermal adhesive
After you have completed step 3 you need to clean the CPU and GPU for the next step. to do this i bought a cleaning product designed for just that. Its called Arctic Clean, a link can be found here.
IPB Image
follow the steps on the bottle and you should have an outcome like this.
IPB Image
for the next step you are going to need some Arctic Silver 5(thermal adhesive), a link can be found here.
take the lid off and put just enough thermal adhesive on to both the GPU and CPU to cover the whole thing evenly(for the CPU put the thermal adhesive only on the blue part of the CPU). then take your finger and smooth it out evenly. make sure it is even, it will perform better if it is. it should look like this now.
IPB Image

Step 5: Attaching the iceberq 4 pros
take one of your iceberq 4 pros and place it on the CPU so it is at a 45 degrees angle leaning to the left. then take tape and put a piece underneith both of the holes that the heatsink lines up with. Then take hotglue and put it in the hole and while the hotglue is still hot place a screw in there(the screw is for extra strength, you can put the screw in hotglue in any order you want but this is how i did it). do that for the other CPU heatsink hole. should look like this.
IPB Image
next for the GPU heatink place at a 45 degrees angle leaing to the left(should look like a "V"). place the screws in the hotglue or just hotglue. either way your going to have to dremel out the screw holes. Let the hot glue cool and they should be ok.

Step 6: Final product
For this step you will need to turn off the lights and stare in awe at your beautiful heatsink install.
IPB Image

Happy Modding,
Potato10

#2 tankertux

tankertux

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

Nice, I've been wanting to see a tut on this!

Glad to see you contributed it, because I saw your last post of "nevermind I got it" and I was like, "Wait! Tell me too!" tongue.gif

#3 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

lol. yeah someone asked if i was going to make one so i finally sat down and did it. putting the iceberq 4 pros on isnt even the hard part, its everything before it is what is hard.

#4 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:18 AM

BTW, you have way to much Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU!

Use less than this:

IPB Image

And to remove the GPU heatsink just allow the system to run for a few minutes and then remove it when it is warm.

#5 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:34 AM

i really didnt put a lot on it. it may look like that from the pic because it is shiny. at least i thought i didnt put that much on there. it works though and it is 20 degrees lower. but everyone listen to the post above me. i should just take the pic above and replace it. what do you think?

#6 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:10 AM

great write-up potato10! .. i added it to the pinned faq (section E11 in the first post)

beerchug.gif uber

#7 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(potato10 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:10 PM) View Post

i really didnt put a lot on it. it may look like that from the pic because it is shiny. at least i thought i didnt put that much on there. it works though and it is 20 degrees lower. but everyone listen to the post above me. i should just take the pic above and replace it. what do you think?

Well I would just add that you need about 1 dab of arctic silver on each corner of the GPU thats a bit smaller than a grain of rice. Then add one more rice grain size drop in the middle. And then just smooth it out with a clean credit card, gift card, id whatever...

I would also edit in that goo-gone is another great way to remove the M$ buble gum junk. I was very suprized nobody made a tutorial on how to install a iceberq 4 pro on the GPU and CPU. It's about time somebody did! tongue.gif

PS: I don't think you can use a iceberq 4 pro and a phillips DVD drive, somebody correct me if i am wrong.

#8 _GhOsT_

_GhOsT_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:55 AM

you can with a philips dvd

now we need one on how to install one in a 1.6/1.6b
i managed to do it but it took some tinkering

#9 ReaperX_BR

ReaperX_BR

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Halo and XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Iceberq 4 Pro provides more cooling than the stock heatsinks, or it's about a question of height for mods? (slimbox for example)

#10 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

@uber: yah now i feel special. im surprised no one wrote one before.

@ReaperX_BR: when i did it it made it significantly cooler. it probably has a lot to do with the thermal adhesive. and it does also make for a small heatsink/fan. that is the reason i got it because it was small and cool for my slimbox.

#11 kaidomac

kaidomac

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:04 AM

Thank you x 1000000 man! Got 3 boxes I'm putting Iceberqs on smile.gif

#12 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:32 AM

Nice tut, though I wouldn't rip up the gpu heatsink like that. If it wont come off, run the xbox for about 5 minutes then pull it off. And the thermal paste is fine, don't worry about it.

@ capboy, dont EVER use that much paste as you suggested (5 drops total). One drop the size of a pea (at most) is perfectly fine. No need to even spread, the heatsink does it perfectly for you when you put it on wink.gif

#13 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:29 AM

when i say spread evenly i mean dont just cover the middle, side, etc. and i know i used to much. i dont think that will hurt it in any way just a little waste of thremal adhesive. can some moderator just switch the picture. would be appreciated. biggrin.gif

#14 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:57 AM

seriously dude, don't worry about it.. not like you can see much of a difference in the two pics, and yours looks better anyways as it is a lot less fuzzy.

besides, if a little extra was applied it wouldn't hurt it.. the extra would be squished out the sides by mounting down the 'sinks.

#15 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

alright.i was just suggesting it because a lot of people said stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users