30 replies to this topic

#1 sugarshane

sugarshane

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

I successfully removed the x clamps from my 360, and for about a month it worked great. Unfortunately, It's freezing again and getting the 3rlod. Here are some of the possible explanations I came up with(But of course, I'm sure many of you will have a much better idea than I do):

1. I used washers that may have been too thick and the motherboard didn't really sit down all the way until I screwed it it.

2. I used really shitty thermal paste (radioshack brand) on the chipsets

That's really all I could come up with. But from past experience, I'm sure many of you can bail me out on this one just like the xbox-scene forums have done so many times before.

Thanks in advance.

#2 89c4l98

89c4l98

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:06 AM

In short of telling you to sell it on ebay... try the x-clamp replacement again with the correct parts.. try artic silver 5.. and if all else fails

heat gun
oven
towel

and finally if none of them work.. use it to cook a egg.. search you tube for the video

#3 booker

booker

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE(89c4l98 @ May 3 2007, 12:42 AM) View Post

In short of telling you to sell it on ebay... try the x-clamp replacement again with the correct parts.. try artic silver 5.. and if all else fails

heat gun
oven
towel
and finally if none of them work.. use it to cook a egg.. search you tube for the video

it give me the impression you wont be the only one. For some reason i think the longer we wait more people will start seeing the 3rl again.

it would be great to have a poll for those who vote that the x clamp fix your xbox without issues if is still running or if you start experiencing problems after a while.

#4 89c4l98

89c4l98

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:30 AM

the x-clamp is the best of the home made fixes.. nothing is 100% but better then the heatgun, towel, oven , etc etc which only last days to a week enough.. some may stay working.. some may die .

#5 SnufftheCrimeDog

SnufftheCrimeDog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:52 AM

@Sugarshane

Who's tut did you use Lawdawgs or RBJTechs? Just outta curiosity. If you guys use Lawdawgs and it ends up failing on you, you have nothing to lose by trying RBJTechs(unless you used his from the get go). If you did use RBJTechs I would go tell you to use Lawdawgs, but it would be hard if you followed RBJTechs guide step by step to make up for the drilled out heatsinks, unless you just used the orginal thread and longer M5 bolts. I think a poll will be necessary, I am willing to admit my opinion may be slightly biased because I had one fixed xbox 360 almost up for 2 months now.

#6 JakeDunn

JakeDunn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(booker @ May 2 2007, 06:57 PM) View Post

it give me the impression you wont be the only one. For some reason i think the longer we wait more people will start seeing the 3rl again.

Dude, I've seen you post at every opportunity you see regarding x-clamps tongue.gif laugh.gif .

All I have to say is, just use whatever method works now, and enjoy it while it lasts until something else comes around, because if youre already out of warranty, you dont really have much of an option.

No need for constant paranoia -.-'

#7 booker

booker

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ May 3 2007, 04:36 AM) View Post

Dude, I've seen you post at every opportunity you see regarding x-clamps tongue.gif laugh.gif .

All I have to say is, just use whatever method works now, and enjoy it while it lasts until something else comes around, because if youre already out of warranty, you dont really have much of an option.

No need for constant paranoia -.-'

LOL... i have to agree with you.. i guess im still shocked my 360 last only 8 month sad.gif

oh well...

#8 The Prankster

The Prankster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, technology etc.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:23 AM

I used lawdawgs, fine for 3 months now, and I even broke off a capacitator in the process, works fine lol, I would take the effort to fix it, but hell if it works fuck it dude. I play halo 2 on it for hours on end, not a problem. I also used the radioshack brand... it's bright white stuff, but seriously HOW MUCH better do you guys really think a simple heat paste could get? I just think you probably didn't put the right washers in, and/or not enough heatsink paste, I put a big gobb of that shit on, I also sit my 360 on an aluminum 360 sized cooking sheet, since it's naturally cold, cools down the air moving in on the bottom.

#9 SnufftheCrimeDog

SnufftheCrimeDog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:32 AM

@JakeDunn

Ok, firstly I tend to have to sympathize with Booker. I know I would be all over these forums if I couldnt get my xbox to start up again, luckily I have been able too. Hell I'm still all over these forums trying to provide advice and insight, and I am by no means any expert, but 3 out of the 3 xbox's Ive fixed are still running including mine, which is been up for 2 months now( not trying to brag by any means). Microsoft deserves a swift kick to crotch for coming up with such a god awful way of designing the xbox 360.

@booker
While I do sympathize with you my friend, I definitely think you should give RBJTechs tut a whirl before claming that all xbox 360s will eventually come back to the red lights. In theory, this SHOULD work, and it does work. It all about how you look at it. Your xbox is freezing correct? That means something up with the GPU, the heatsink is not making a good connection with the die, as RBJTech said as it expands due to heat connection is lost, and that were you get the freeze. When you tighten down the heatsink hard it locks it in place and when that chip does expaned, nothing happens and you can play on. This is why I took the spring washer out of my version of RBJTechs fix, its a good idea, but my idea is that without it the heatsink cant move, therefore its lock down. Will this have negative results in the future god I hope not! As of right now it working. Stay with me here now. Lawdawgs tutorial worked for you for a week. Just your xbox coming back to life is a sign its fixable. You are missing a key component. A lock nut, I know I must sound crazy, but yea. This keeps everything tight! Which is GOOD, it allows no movement on it own. So please booker give RBJTechs a try.

Now that I ranted my butt off, Sugarshane, booker, and anyone else who is experiencing freezing/red lights after the x-clamp removal if you haven't already give RBJTechs tutorial a try, try it now, you have nothing to lose. No, hes not my close personal friend or anything. I've done lawdawgs fix aswell mine started freezing too. Please dont get the wrong idea, Im not saying down with lawdawgs tutorial. I am simply identifying what has worked for me and what I suggest to you.

Edited by SnufftheCrimeDog, 03 May 2007 - 04:35 AM.

#10 booker

booker

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ May 3 2007, 05:08 AM) View Post

@JakeDunn

Ok, firstly I tend to have to sympathize with Booker. I know I would be all over these forums if I couldnt get my xbox to start up again, luckily I have been able too. Hell I'm still all over these forums trying to provide advice and insight, and I am by no means any expert, but 3 out of the 3 xbox's Ive fixed are still running including mine, which is been up for 2 months now( not trying to brag by any means). Microsoft deserves a swift kick to crotch for coming up with such a god awful way of designing the xbox 360.

@booker
While I do sympathize with you my friend, I definitely think you should give RBJTechs tut a whirl before claming that all xbox 360s will eventually come back to the red lights. In theory, this SHOULD work, and it does work. It all about how you look at it. Your xbox is freezing correct? That means something up with the GPU, the heatsink is not making a good connection with the die, as RBJTech said as it expands due to heat connection is lost, and that were you get the freeze. When you tighten down the heatsink hard it locks it in place and when that chip does expaned, nothing happens and you can play on. This is why I took the spring washer out of my version of RBJTechs fix, its a good idea, but my idea is that without it the heatsink cant move, therefore its lock down. Will this have negative results in the future god I hope not! As of right now it working. Stay with me here now. Lawdawgs tutorial worked for you for a week. Just your xbox coming back to life is a sign its fixable. You are missing a key component. A lock nut, I know I must sound crazy, but yea. This keeps everything tight! Which is GOOD, it allows no movement on it own. So please booker give RBJTechs a try.

Now that I ranted my butt off, Sugarshane, booker, and anyone else who is experiencing freezing/red lights after the x-clamp removal if you haven't already give RBJTechs tutorial a try, try it now, you have nothing to lose. No, hes not my close personal friend or anything. I've done lawdawgs fix aswell mine started freezing too. Please dont get the wrong idea, Im not saying down with lawdawgs tutorial. I am simply identifying what has worked for me and what I suggest to you.

Ill try the RBJtech method then... believe me when i say i hate to post about x clamp and 3rl.. i wish i could fix mine and forget about it and just play the damn thing smile.gif

Ill try RBjtech... but i may need some help while doing it, because since im not from US im not sure what type of washer do you guys use. Example Spring washer.. i dont have any idea what a spring washer is.. is plastic? rubber? metalic?...
On the other hand, the flat metal and Nylon are the same... smile.gif

And i promise.. ill stop posting negative feedback smile.gif

BTW... 3 months?.. WOW.. i hate you!! (in a good way) smile.gif

#11 The Prankster

The Prankster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, technology etc.
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

well, a washer is a washer, forget about the spring thing, the setup is just two washers thick on each side of the motherboard between the head of the bolt to the heatsink fixture, two nylon or plastic, or rubber washers to make sure the metal washers don't touch the motherboard. It's all said in the tutorial though.

I think spring washers are just another name for a normal washer. I don't know though... doesn't matter here.

Edited by The Prankster, 03 May 2007 - 02:06 PM.

#12 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

a spring washer is metal and literlaly looks like a section of a spring.

it's basically a washer with a cut in it

search google

#13 sugarshane

sugarshane

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

Well I used thinner washers so the motherboard would sit down more completely but that didn't seem to work. My question now is if the problem was a lack of thermal paste wouldn't that result in overheating, and not freezing and the 3rlod?

#14 booker

booker

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(The Prankster @ May 3 2007, 02:42 PM) View Post

well, a washer is a washer, forget about the spring thing, the setup is just two washers thick on each side of the motherboard between the head of the bolt to the heatsink fixture, two nylon or plastic, or rubber washers to make sure the metal washers don't touch the motherboard. It's all said in the tutorial though.

I think spring washers are just another name for a normal washer. I don't know though... doesn't matter here.

Thanks.. i know what a spring washer is.. but im not sure wich one to buy. there are many kind of sprin washers.. here are my options.

http://www.gatatorni.../arandelas.html

uhh.gif

#15 SnufftheCrimeDog

SnufftheCrimeDog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(sugarshane @ May 3 2007, 11:25 AM) View Post

Well I used thinner washers so the motherboard would sit down more completely but that didn't seem to work. My question now is if the problem was a lack of thermal paste wouldn't that result in overheating, and not freezing and the 3rlod?

Then it has nothing to do with the washers. Thermal paste will only help with overheating problem and or error code 0020, it may help but that alone will come no where close to solving 0102. Before I can even try to help You Sugarshane I need to know whose method you used for fixing your xbox from there I can try to diagnose what could be your possible problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users