• PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Location:United States Of This is not a free country no more
  • Interests:Banging The Govt
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

Alrighty,

My wife has a 1998 CHev lumina. Well the brake lights work, but only if ya pull on the blinker stick on the steering coloumn. So what i did as a temporary fix, ( the part costs about $100 NO INSTALL ) was wire from the cyclopse ( red light in the back window for those who dont know lol ) down to each light. 1 wire to each. 1 bulb each so i did already test to see which is the brake wire and which is the running light wire. all works well except when i turn on the turn signal, it works, untill i press on the brakes. the turn signal stops. let off the brakes it works again.

My guess is its because he cyclops dont have blinker bulbs, since all my other back bulbs are good. but it may be something else want to know what anyone thinks if at all..

Thanks

#2 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Electrical problems can have many sources. Poor wiring, incorrect wiring (any body work done on the car?), shorted wiring, or bad rear light/turn signal module are all some potential causes. You need to methodically eliminate each possibility until the problem presents itself. Get yourself a multi-meter and start testing.

However, the reason your blinker doesn't work with the brake light on is because the same light is used for the turn signal. The light control module on your vehicle essentially works backward when the brakes are on, turning off the brake light for the side you are signalling in intervals. But since the center brake light is now providing a +12 volt current, the turn signal current won't do anything. In fact, if you did nothing to isolate the left and right brake light signals from the center lamp from each other, when you turn on either turn signal with the brakes off, you'll likely be getting turn signals going on both sides and the center lamp.

If it were me, I'd start looking for the cause of the original problem, but if you are determined to mickeymouse the whole thing, then you may be able to make it work with some SPDT relays and some diodes.

#3 1nsan3

1nsan3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Location:United States Of This is not a free country no more
  • Interests:Banging The Govt
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Ahh i see,
well its easier to pay for the part in the steering coloumn and install fee, rather than mickey mouse the WHOLE thing up with different modules etc. this is just a temporary fix, until we can gather up the correct change lol.

Just had a brand new motor put in. thats the only work this car has seen. Never had an electrical problem before this.

But the blinkers work when the brake is not engadged, its better this or no brake lights at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users