• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Cheule

Cheule

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:54 PM

Here is a guide I wrote for all the people that were asking how to get a new HD in their Xbox, and were complaining about Slayer's AutoInstaller. I've heard of a lot of problems when using Slayer's, and if you follow this guide, you shouldn't have a single issue!

---

A lot of people have had problems installing new HDs. Making a custom evox.ini can be confusing, and finding a Xbox HD format app can be hard. This tutorial shows you how to format a brand new HD with nothing more than a stock version of Evolution-X Dashboard on a CDRW or DVD-R.

First, back up all your files from your C: and E: ( and F: if you had one) drives to your computer.

Install your new HD into the Xbox. It does NOT need to be formatted or prepared in any way. Just throw it in there. Note that most HDs ship with the jumper set to CS (cable select) this works most of the time, you may need to set it to MA (Master).

Burn the EvoX dashboard to a CDRW or DVD-R (no CDRs). I suggest using the pre-made ISO Dummy images that can be found on the net. Dummy images are simply ISO images with 500+ MB of "dummy" data to force the EvoX data to the outer rim of the CDRW where it can be read easier. You might try doing a google search for evolutionx_beta_v1.8.3285-Dummy-Static.rar, or look around IRC.

Launch Evolution-X Dashboard off CDRW/DVD-R. If you drive doesn't read it the first time, don't give up. Turn the Xbox off completely while the disk is still in it, and then back on. If it doesn't boot again, keep trying. It may take a dozen or more tries.

With Evox Dash booted off CDRW/DVD-R, connect through FlashFXP (Windows) or Transmit (MacOS).

You will now need to send "Raw FTP Commands" with your FTP client. You may have to hunt through the pull down menus for an option called "send raw FTP command." Send the following "Raw FTP Command" with your FTP client:

CODE

Formatpath \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

The FTP app will echo a hard drive key (display a long number in the log window [FlashFXP] or a dialog box [Transmit]). Use that key for the next command.

CODE

FormatDrive 'the number' (no quotes)

Do the same as above for the next few raw commands:

CODE

Formatpath \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
FormatDrive 'the number'
Formatpath \Device\Harddisk0\Partition6
FormatDrive 'the number'

Your drive is now formatted and ready to use. Partitions X:, Y:, and Z: will be created automagically.

All you need to do now, is get Evox on the HD. FTP the "default.xbe" from your D: to your computer. Then rename the file to "evoxdash.xbe" and FTP it back to the C:. Then copy the "evox.ini" from the D: to your computer and then back to the C:. Pull your CDRW/DVD-R out, and reboot.

Then you can FTP all your contents of your backed up drive from your computer to the Xbox.

Cheers, Cheule

Edit: fixed backslashes. -gain

Edited by Cheule, 13 June 2003 - 04:41 AM.

#2 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for making this info easily available to us lazy types.
beerchug.gif

#3 HaZoRdUs

HaZoRdUs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:51 AM

Im having a problem Chuel... I cant ftp anyting on to C drive!

#4 Cheule

Cheule

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 04:20 PM

Does this mean that you cannot connect via FTP at all? or that you see your files on your C: drive, and somehow cannot get them off?

If you could tell me exactly the steps you've taken, I can better help you.

#5 carla

carla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:40 PM

I am havin problem getting anything to go back onto the c: drive of my new hd just installed. I followed your guide, it says formated after each command, but when i try to put any file onto c: drive i get failed transfer.

any ideas on how to fix please huh.gif

#6 carla

carla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 01:37 PM

Nevermind got it. biggrin.gif

#7 grarged

grarged

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:35 AM

Hey...having the same problem with FTP onto the formatted drives...I followed all the instructions and FXP says drive formatted after each but I can't FTP files onto the C or E drives! Help! Cheule or any1!
unsure.gif

#8 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts
  • Interests:Brahm is a whore

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (gainpresence @ May 30 2003, 12:56 PM)
Thanks for making this info easily available to us lazy types.
beerchug.gif

haha...agreed!

#9 grarged

grarged

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 03:02 PM

laugh.gif So I figured it out...thanks to another tutorial. When I followed Chuele's method I wasn't able to transfer anything. So I formatted all of the drives instead of just three and everything after worked fine. Thnx to Sandman and his Tutorial.
Pc

#10 Cheule

Cheule

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (grarged @ Jun 3 2003, 05:02 PM)
When I followed Chuele's method I wasn't able to transfer anything. So I formatted all of the drives instead of just three and everything after worked fine.

So you got the key and formatted for drives 1 through 6? Maybe I should add an addendum. Oddly enough i just stumbled accross this same problem the other day, but it didn't happen to me before.

#11 Cheule

Cheule

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:55 PM

A HA! I know what is causing problems! This webboard has removed all the backslashes from my FTP commands. I just noticed! Let me edit my original post!

#12 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:37 PM

If you type double backslashes, it shows 1.

1 backslash:
2 backslashes: \
3 backslashes: \
4 backslashes: \\

etc..

Edited by gainpresence, 04 June 2003 - 07:37 PM.

#13 jomo

jomo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 03:51 AM

Where do I find "Raw FTP Commands"?

#14 wyldkard

wyldkard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:25 AM

there is still no back slashes

#15 jomo

jomo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:05 PM

I formatted 6 times, each time it said that the drive was formated and I still can't ftp anything to my xbox drives. I can boot from the evox cd, I can ftp from the d drive to my pc but again I can not ftp anything from my pc to my xbox. I installed a 100 gb WD HD. HELP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users