• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruschijr

bruschijr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:11 PM

hey im just wondering......i dont have xbox linux, but from what i've seen...It looks like it has a web browser...is that true......and would it be possible to play PC games on it?

#2 WisdomWolf

WisdomWolf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

I think it can play some. but I would imagine it can only play games that support linux.

#3 luma

luma

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:17 PM

applications (and games) need to be recompiled to run on xbox linux. so in order for you to play linux games on your xbox, you'll need the source and the knowledge to recompile it. commercial linux games (unreal, quake, neverwinter, etc) don't release their source so you won't be able to run them.

#4 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:23 AM

and why is this in the BIOS forum?

#5 deltop

deltop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (luma @ Jun 4 2003, 09:17 PM)
applications (and games) need to be recompiled to run on xbox linux. so in order for you to play linux games on your xbox, you'll need the source and the knowledge to recompile it. commercial linux games (unreal, quake, neverwinter, etc) don't release their source so you won't be able to run them.

Not true I'm afraid. You can run any linux binary that has been compiled for the x86 architecture. As long as you have all the needed libs installed. This is why if you install debian you can just use apt-get to install any of the thousands of pre-compiled debs.

The problem with running 3D games for linux on the xbox is that there are no linux drivers for the graphics chipset used in the xbox. Therefore no Quake 3 or Neverwinter etc.

#6 rahula

rahula

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:boose,food and chicks. Yeah Xbox too..
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:02 AM

Don't you have enough games on Xbox already? play from original, hard drive, backup disc now you want linux running on xbox play PC games?? tongue.gif kidding
I guess you can run PC games on linux but you need to know Linux more than just installing distos. Yeah. you can browse the web.I am using linux on my xbox and mozilla to browse the web but heck.. xbox isn't webTV and sometime I can't even read the webpage clearly.

#7 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:41 AM

all 2d games that are for linux will run fine. anything that needs 3d acell whont run at the moment.

games that run.

1. doom (thers many linux ports)
2. winquake (softwhere renderd using winex)
3.quake 2 (softwhere renderd) (also winex)
4. starcraft (winex)
5. warcraft (freecraft linux port)
6. warcraft 2 (freecraft port to)
7. duke3d (using dosbox)
8. probly alot more but thats all the 2d games i own and tested with linux and the windows/dos emus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users