gordo1111

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

My Corolla has gone gone crazy! I was just going to my friend's but then it started to make "gluh gluh gluh" sounds. I ignored but then the guy honked at me for some reason. Ignored it too. Then he got out of the car told me the exhaust is releasing a bunch of smoke.

I just got my car so I don't know whats wrong with it. I do know the carburetor has been replaced and has went through some body damage.

#2 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

what color was the smoke? it sound like something went wrong inside the engine which is not good.

#3 _iffy

_iffy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

Either a bad fuel/air mixture (ie: bad carburetor)(white smoke), or your burning oil (ie: broken gasket)(blue smoke).

Sounds like a bad fuel/air mixture to me though.

#4 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Free DirecTV, playing with my XBox, and playing Half-Life and its mods.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(_iffy @ May 6 2007, 09:49 PM) View Post

Either a bad fuel/air mixture (ie: bad carburetor)(white smoke), or your burning oil (ie: broken gasket)(blue smoke).

Sounds like a bad fuel/air mixture to me though.

In a gas engine, white smoke useally means water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. White smoke is not a bad fuel/air mix. Get your info right before you post. If you aren't sure or you don't know what you're talking about, don't advise. Wrong advice can be more damaging than the actual problem.

With out knowing more, its hard to say for sure what wrong with your Toyota. Give us more info and we can probably nail down your problem.

#5 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

either way the worst case scenario is a piston ring going out or some other internal seal going out. but we will need more info on whats going on?

1.) What color was the smoke?

2.) Any unusual noises coming from the engine? clanking, scraping etc.

3.) When does the smoke come out? accelerating? while stopped or in park? all the time, but more when accelerating?

Edited by CJLee89, 07 May 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#6 gordo1111

gordo1111

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

1. The smoke was close to white. A bit grey.
2. The engine seems to get louder than it used to be it motion. When I start it up, it makes that gluh gluh sound.
3. The smoke comes out all the time when the engine is on.

I think it's a bad mixture just like what rms2001 said. The funny sounds only come when the car is moving. I'll check the oil first and see whats wrong.

#7 CJLee89

CJLee89

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

the gluh gluh sounds could be that your engine is starving for fuel and/or air. it could be a fuel reg problem or a carb. its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

just do some troubleshooting from what we have all said and get back to us.

Edited by CJLee89, 08 May 2007 - 12:41 AM.

#8 xboxhackern00b

xboxhackern00b

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:whooping ass on xbl

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 7 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post

its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

i also have an 86 nova, pretty much a badged corolla it's on it's 2nd carb

#9 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Free DirecTV, playing with my XBox, and playing Half-Life and its mods.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 7 2007, 07:11 PM) View Post

the gluh gluh sounds could be that your engine is starving for fuel and/or air. it could be a fuel reg problem or a carb. its kinda weird that your Corrola is not fuel injected.

Okay, the Ďgluh gluhí sound dose not explain the white smoke. This would be a combination of problems all tired into together. I also find it odd my self, this engine is not fuel injected. If memory serves me right the í86 Corolla had the 4AGE engine and has always had EFI unless changed afterward. It wasn't uncommon to find carburetored engines into the 90s. I had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler that was carburetored.

The gluh gluh could very well be a fuel delivery problem. Check your fuel filter, it mite be clogged. If you have a way to testing fuel pressure so so. I donít know off hand what the PSI should be for this engine, but you could also have a bad fuel pump.

No, the white smoke. I still think this could be a coolant leak into the engine it self. Iím not really up to par with the 4AGE, Iím more familiar with the 22R and 22RE engines that are popular in late 80s and early 90s Toyotas. These engines had a problem with the timing chain wearing a whole though the timing over and letting the coolant and oil mix. Resulting in white smoke. Just an idea.

#10 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:20 AM

Some of the GTS may be EFI, but there's definitely mid 80s Corollas that are carbed.

If the smoke is white you can easily detect burning coolant by the smell. Burning antifreeze has a distinct smell. Almost sweet. You'd also be able to taste the sweetness in any moisture that forms on the interior of the tail pipe. (Warning: Tailpipes can be hot and antifreeze is toxic.)

#11 rms2001

rms2001

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ May 8 2007, 09:56 PM) View Post

(Warning: Tailpipes can be hot and antifreeze is toxic.)

OMG. tongue.gif I could not help but laugh at this. This is the first laugh I've had all day.

#12 gordo1111

gordo1111

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

I'm certainly not gonna smell the tailpipe but I'll try to feel the moisture around it. Don't worry, I'll just run it for a few seconds.
My Corolla has suffered enough maybe I should just sell it to a junk yard.
Saving up for a 360 biggrin.gif

#13 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(gordo1111 @ May 11 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post

I'm certainly not gonna smell the tailpipe but I'll try to feel the moisture around it. Don't worry, I'll just run it for a few seconds.
My Corolla has suffered enough maybe I should just sell it to a junk yard.
Saving up for a 360 biggrin.gif

I think you better save up for a new car smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users