Photo

No Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD for PS3 owners?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

No Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD for PS3 owners?
Posted by XanTium | 8-5-2007 14:13 EST

From engadgethd.com:

When the PS3 hit the street it was recognized as one of the most full featured Blu-ray players to date, but it seem now that PS3 owners aren't getting everything they thought they were. It has recently been uncovered that although the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 port, it does not support bit stream audio. What this means for Blu-ray fans is that when they finally pick up one of those new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3, that they still can't enjoy Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD because there is no way to get the bits out of the PS3. Of course the DTS track can still be down mixed and PCM audio is supported, but so much for being the most capable Blu-ray player available.

** Dolby TrueHD can still be decoded inside the PS3 and sent as uncompressed audio to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver has an integrated decoder it can't be used instead of the PS3's decoder. **

Full Story: engadgethd.com

#2 UltimateNinja9

UltimateNinja9

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

What's this article trying to say? First, it says that the PS3 isn't the best blu-ray player because it doesn't support Dolby TrueHD. Then, it says the PS3 can decode Dolby TrueHD so that the receiver doesn't have to. Wouldn't that make the PS3 the best blu-ray player?

#3 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

meh, HDMI 1.3 is WAY overrated. Once the PS3 gains the ability (if it ever does) to decode those DTS tracks those with multichannel LPCM receivers will have more functionality than trying to use bitstream with 1.3 receivers.

Why use bitstream if the player can decode the formats and send them through LPCM?

#4 SomeT

SomeT

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

Someone please explain this to me? So the PS3 will NEVER be able to play true high def sound if so this sucks and I think I might just get a HD-dvd/blue ray player combi as I was saving up for a high def surround system aswell.

#5 lando786

lando786

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

I think it first says it doesnt but then states as a correction that it in fact does decrypt dobly trueHD and that IF u have a external decoder it'd be useless because the ps3 already sends it decoded and uncompressed making it useless to be re-decoded again so yea i guess the correction is making the above statement null at least in the TrueHD side.

#6 chane2k1

chane2k1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:47 AM

the PS3 should be able to output HD bit streams with a firmware or software update. i don't see why it wouldn't be able to, it does have the processing power. i'm confident that DD True-HD and DTS-HD bitstream passthrough will be an upcoming feature just like BD-Java which they said would be added in a software update to the PS3.

Edited by chane2k1, 09 May 2007 - 03:47 AM.

#7 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(SomeT @ May 8 2007, 01:14 PM) View Post
Someone please explain this to me? So the PS3 will NEVER be able to play true high def sound if so this sucks and I think I might just get a HD-dvd/blue ray player combi as I was saving up for a high def surround system aswell.

No, it's saying it can't output it in un-decoded bitstream format (that the receiver would then decode)

Like the user above said, once there is a firmware update that allows the PS3 to decode these formats, it will be able to output them in already decoded Linear PCM format, which is what all HDMI audio capable receivers on the market today support.

Decoding and then outputting as LPCM to a HDMI audio capable receiver gets you all the benefits of the new sound formats without the need for HDMI 1.3.

#8 Ravo5002

Ravo5002

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

IN YA FACE!!

#9 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Yay epsilon... overrated...
I'm "overrating" my set giving 1080p @60Hz via HDMI.
Your "not overrated" HDMI < 1.3 is still stuck to 1080p @30Hz, or analog.
I'm getting TrueHD from my PS3, converted to 7.1 and then sent back to my amp.
Overrated...
...yeah, sure.

#10 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(ConteZero76 @ May 9 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post
Yay epsilon... overrated...
I'm "overrating" my set giving 1080p @60Hz via HDMI.
Your "not overrated" HDMI < 1.3 is still stuck to 1080p @30Hz, or analog.

No, my "not overrated" HDMI 1.2 connection gives me 1080p@60hz. If you don't believe me, go check out the specs for the previous versions of HDMI.

HDMI 1.0

Released December 2002.

* Single-cable digital audio/video connection with a maximum bitrate of 4.9Gbps. Supports up to 165Mpixels/sec video (1080p60Hz or UXGA) and 8-channel/192kHz/24-bit audio.

1.3 adds support for WQXGA.

You may be thinking of the fact that TV 1080p signals are limited to 30hz, but that is because it would be a stretch to get enough bandwidth to support anything more.

Even so, 1080p@30hz is hardly "analog", if it is over a digital connection.

Edited by epsilon72, 12 May 2007 - 07:04 AM.

#11 chane2k1

chane2k1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

This article is just wrong. The PS3 internally decodes both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio then converts it to LOSSLESS linear PCM then sends it out to your receiver. You don't lose any audio resolution and you don't have to go out and buy a new receiver as long as your's already supports HDMI 1.3. So really Sony is saving you some money but, for those who did go out and buy a Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD receiver don't fret im sure Sony will come out with Bitstream Passthrough for the HD audio formats. In the mean time you can just use the Linear PCM output that the PS3 sends out already, it'll sound just as good.

#12 lordsigma

lordsigma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:13 AM

While I'm not sure that there will be DTS-HD Master Audio decoding (As I think a decoder chip would be needed), I don't see how there won't be an update to allow the HD audio formats to be outputted over the bitstream. The whole point of having HDMI 1.3 is to allow this feature, and PS3 went through the trouble of being the first player with an HDMI 1.3 out. Sony has added much more sophisticated upgrades to the PS3 such as DVD upscaling and adding the 1080P to 720P scaling (When apparentely there was no scaler hardware either). Therefore I don't know how it could be impossible for them to add the HD bitstream passthrough via a firmware update.

Edited by lordsigma, 21 August 2007 - 03:13 AM.

#13 szhjcn

szhjcn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(lordsigma @ Aug 21 2007, 04:49 AM) View Post

While I'm not sure that there will be DTS-HD Master Audio decoding (As I think a decoder chip would be needed), I don't see how there won't be an update to allow the HD audio formats to be outputted over the bitstream. The whole point of having HDMI 1.3 is to allow this feature, and PS3 went through the trouble of being the first player with an HDMI 1.3 out. Sony has added much more sophisticated upgrades to the PS3 such as DVD upscaling and adding the 1080P to 720P scaling (When apparentely there was no scaler hardware either). Therefore I don't know how it could be impossible for them to add the HD bitstream passthrough via a firmware update.

Hopefully that will be possible via a fimware upgrade too. Must admit I was surprised when I was redirected to this Forum during my search for information on this topic (XBox-Scene, but looks like it has PS3 forums to).

So am I correct in saying the Spec for both TrueHD and DTS-HD need the player to do the decoding? This is in order to be able to mix the audio from PIP (or simular) funtionality) which could only be done in the player.

My questions (hopefully not to dumb) are:

1/ Is this only LPCM only output on the HDMI, or also on the optical out too? I'm sure my Denon AVP-A1 PreAmp supports LPCM input (will have to chekc the manual on this).

2/ If the player decodes the TrueHD or DTS-HD, then why would you need to buy a system with this capability, i.e. the Integra DTC 9.8 (it's Onkyo version PR-SC885P) or the soon to be released Denon AVP-A1HD ?

I was thinkig of ordering a PS3, but sounds like I might have compatibility problems with my current setup as I don't have HDMI inputs on my Pre-amp. The posisble repalcements listed above for my AVP-A1 are not available here yet, but I guess these can be a upgrade for next year.

#14 ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(szhjcn @ Oct 16 2007, 09:35 AM) View Post

I was thinkig of ordering a PS3, but sounds like I might have compatibility problems with my current setup as I don't have HDMI inputs on my Pre-amp. The posisble repalcements listed above for my AVP-A1 are not available here yet, but I guess these can be a upgrade for next year.

If you DO NOT need 7.1 audio then follow below, If you do than ignore this.
No need for HDMI inputs on the Pre-Amp as long as it has the SPDIF (Sony-Phillips Digital Interface) optical connection.
The PS3 will let you send 1080p60hz over the HDMI cable and output your sound over optical as:

5.1 Dolby Digital
5.1 DTS
AAC
Linear PCM 2ch 44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, 176.4khz

If you need 7.1 then you need HDMI for your audio, there are more audio options for HDMI
Includes the above PLUS:

Linear PCM 2ch 96khz, 192khz
Linear PCM 5.1 44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, 96khz, 176.4khz, 192khz
Linear PCM 7.1 44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, 96khz, 176.4khz, 192khz

On a side note if you look under BD/DVD settings for audio near the bottom it gives the option of Linear PCM or Bitstream for the audio output options for both HDMI and Optical. It does give a warning that some portion of the audio may not be played though. I noticed that both of mine are on Bitstream I haven't noticed anything missing in my movies audio wise but i only have a 5.1 Sony receiver (STR-DE685)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users