PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

PlayStation Home footage is beta-than Second Life
Posted by XanTium | 11-5-2007 23:53 EST

From joystiq.com:

If we weren't excited enough about PlayStation Home before, we certainly are now. It's a week of leaked beta footage, and although you might not think it was possible ... this is even cooler looking than Bungie's baby. *Ducks all the incoming plasma grenades, rockets, and needles*

The graphics in this look pretty sweet, and make us believe that something like Snow Crash might actually be possible one day. The in-game PSP interface is pretty swanky as well, and we were able to glean a few things off of the tiny text, which required much squinting and gave us some Dead Rising flashbacks.

Full Story: joystiq.com

#2 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

mmmm.....purty....

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

PSHome is nice, I use Second Life a bit on my PC & Mac, it has horrible loading times, I don't know if that's because my hardware aint up to scratch (ill try it out again when I get my Core 2 Duo PC in July) or my limited 512KB ADSL connection.

I guess the relocating thing could get a bit annoying on Playstation Home, on Second Life you choose when you want to relocate, not for everything like watching a video (you click a play button for that on Second Life).

One thing I like about PSHome though is that you get a home free from what I understand to furnish, one thing I hate about Second Life is you have to be a premium member (costs money) and then on top of that buy land/your building from what I understand, which I hate because Second Life seems like a money making business (so I just dance on the dance pads to make a L$ or two).

Hopefully the only charging things in Playstation Home will be things like Arcade games and the like.

#4 AngelBallz69

AngelBallz69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

if the ps3 didnt waste so much electricity(energy hog), i would have picked this up just for home

#5 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

looks pretty cool. besides folding@home this is the only other thing i'm interested for on the ps3. so my ps3 will be folding until Home is out. funny how both things i've been interested in both have "home" in their name.

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

if the ps3 didnt waste so much electricity(energy hog)

Lame excuse. It's not a 3KW fire.
This looks neat.
It was also on The PSM3 demo disc this month.
If this is half as good as it promises to be i can see some people changing their minds.

Edited by Chancer, 12 May 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#7 lando786

lando786

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

Looks nice not anything id be killing to use though itll be interesting to use for sure.

#8 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

Yea looks cool but it is just a whatever to me. Not to exited about it. I want PS3 games good ones and lots of them.

#9 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(AngelBallz69 @ May 12 2007, 08:37 AM) View Post
if the ps3 didnt waste so much electricity(energy hog), i would have picked this up just for home

As chancer said, that's a lame excuse not buy one laugh.gif

Your PC, lights, microwave, etc will probably contribute a lot more to your electric bill than the PS3 will.

#10 belke

belke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

well it does look good as far as graphics go, I just don't see the point. Seems it would get boring after a day for me

#11 RBJTech

RBJTech

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(belke @ May 13 2007, 07:28 PM) View Post

well it does look good as far as graphics go, I just don't see the point. Seems it would get boring after a day for me

I'm with you here - it just seems a VERY long winded way to do anything

Play an Arcade Game :-

360 - Dashboard,left,left,up,play ...
PS3 - Go walking for 2 minutes to find the place, Relocating, hunt for the right arcade machine and press play ...

Play a Movie :-

360 - Dashboard, right, right, down, play ...
PS3 - Relocating... 3 minute walk to the Cinema, hunt for the film, press play ...

I'm just not getting it I'm afraid - I got bored watching the 5 minute demo on 'Home' yet alone use it as a functional menu system ...

ph34r.gif

#12 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(RBJTech @ May 13 2007, 09:46 PM) View Post

I'm with you here - it just seems a VERY long winded way to do anything

Play an Arcade Game :-

360 - Dashboard,left,left,up,play ...
PS3 - Go walking for 2 minutes to find the place, Relocating, hunt for the right arcade machine and press play ...

Play a Movie :-

360 - Dashboard, right, right, down, play ...
PS3 - Relocating... 3 minute walk to the Cinema, hunt for the film, press play ...

I'm just not getting it I'm afraid - I got bored watching the 5 minute demo on 'Home' yet alone use it as a functional menu system ...

ph34r.gif

Not quite a correct comparison really.
The concept is aplace to chat talk to mates. A bit like a graphical chat room but the theory is its your place.

If you want to compare like for like then you need to realise if I want to play a movie or a game from the PS3 store then I do just like I do on my 360
Go to dashboard select movie play
Go to game list select game play.
To compare something on the 360 to the home concept try the new messenger service/live chat on live.

#13 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:02 AM

man im really try to get this but i just dont see why ppl are even interested. It look so boring, the concept sounded boring...whatever. To each his own I guess.

#14 dezza9995

dezza9995

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ May 14 2007, 03:38 AM) View Post

man im really try to get this but i just dont see why ppl are even interested. It look so boring, the concept sounded boring...whatever. To each his own I guess.

Its not for everyone i suppose. At the end of the day its a free gimmick, which is always nice and lets face it, Second Life is popular so this certainly is going to be. Its likley that revenue is going to be generated from the sale of items such as furniture and stuff. If you dont want to pay for it then dont. It's still gonna be an interesting way to get chatting to people.

#15 Kr0n1k

Kr0n1k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:13 AM

Yea, it looks pretty boring. I like the interface they have now personally, that was one of the upsides when I was playing the PS3. The only upside I see is maybe meeting new people to play some games with while not playing a game. But I guess it is kind of a game in itself. Eh, we'll see, it'll be out about the time I actually buy the PS3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users